Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brand New Shih Tzu and worried

lbiessen
June 21st, 2007, 02:56 PM
Ok, Hi guy's I'm new to this form and a soon to be new owner of a 6 1/2 weeks old shih tzu tomorrow.:stork-baby:

I'm so nervous about potty training it, and have read alot but need some advice.

I work full time and will keep it in a crate during the day and at night while we sleep, I will take it out before work, and right after work and later in the evening, and my daughter will try and take it out during the day.

I have puppy pads for under the crate, but want her to learn to go outside, will this mess her up. I'm afraid it will be hard because some days she may be in her crate from 8 - 4:30 with out a break?

Please any help or suggestions would help me out alot. :dog:

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM
This puppy should not be going anywhere until a minimum of 8 weeks, 12 weeks is optimum for a small breed. Second, you cannot leave a puppy of that size alone for that many hours. You may just come home to a dead dog... ie. hypoglycemia from lack of eating. Thirdly, who in their right mind is allowing this pup to leave at that age? Please don't say a breeder because that means you have just purchased a pup from either a mill or a byb.. because a reputable breeder would not allow a pup to leave at that age. Something is very non kosher with this whole thing.

luckypenny
June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
A 6 1/2 week old puppy is much too young to be separated from it's mother and litter mates. Any reputable breeder/rescue would never send a puppy this young home with new owners nor would they willingly adopt out if they knew a puppy would be left alone for more than 3 hours.

Please, for the puppy's sake, don't set him, and yourself, up for failure. Do your research before making such a decision.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
I agree with BMD- OMG, why do you have such a tiny puppy? I would return the puppy to the breeder (No reputable breeder or Rescue would ever allow a puppy that small out!). If it is from a neighbour, please bring the puppy you his or her mommy (and my teeth grate when you refer to her or him as an "it" - s/he is a living creature, not an it.)

I do not mean to sound negative and I am happy you want to adopt a puppy but to get her or him off on the right track, s/he needs more time with her mom!! If the mom is unavailable, find another mama dog if possible - I will lave it to the dog experts here (I have raised orphan kittens but no orphan pups which is what your is at this point!!!)

When she ready to come home -and I do know with those breeds - 12 weeks is best tho some rescues do adopt them at 8 or 9 but it's still best to give the puppy as much time with her mom as possible. If she is the product if a puppy mill (ie you bought her at a pet store), obviously do not return her. IOf you purchased her at a pet store, you might need to read about that before you get into raising the a puppy who is from one of those - mega problems and serious vet bills will be in your future.

Good luck and let us know how you make out!

BusterBoo
June 21st, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hi and I am so glad you decided to get a tzu! They are most lovable (IMO), precious little doggies you can find!

If at all possible, try and convince the breeder (or store or wherever you are getting your furbaby from) to keep the baby with her Momma. This is an important time for momma and baby to be together. The minimum age you should get your pup is 8 weeks.....but if you can manage to get the breeder to keep your baby with momma for 10-12 weeks that's even better!

8 hours in a crate for a little puppy is too long, you need to find someone who can go every couple of hours and put the pup out for potty, play with her and make sure she is getting food and water. I know it isn't always possible, but could you arrange to take some time off work so that you can settle your new baby in her new house? A week with you at home would help a lot!!!! Potty training will happen, but it takes time....and patience...and persistence....and praise! :)

Do you have a Vet picked out? If not, you might want to check into that soon. Your new addition will need to be checked out from nose to tail as soon as possible.

Good luck with your new baby and I hope you get to post some pictures!!!!!

lbiessen
June 25th, 2007, 01:59 PM
I want to thank everyone for your advise. But as it turns out I'm so so glad I got Little gracie now and not later. The day I got her before bringing her home we brought her straight to the vet because the breader and my daughter noticed the hair around her eyes were not there anymore (she was fine a week ago), the breader offered to bath her and dip her once a week. I had my daughter bring her not home but straight to the vet. Well she has mange poor heart, (it the one that is easy to treat but contagious). Well my heart is broken for little grace. They dipped her, gave her some medicine and sent her home with us with antiobitics twice a day.

I asked the vet where she would be better off since she is so young, they said that since she got the mange from the boarder, of course take her home can treat her at home. They hope that since she's so young that the initial dip will do the trick, but to bring her back this friday for a check up.

The breader called Sat. to check on her and told us she took care of the vet bill and asked my daughter is we planned on returing her. DUH I said no, I picked her out, I went visit her, she came visit me and we've been bonding since Friday a.m. Of course not.

Well yesterday, a couple of times a day she would like gag and sit up clear liquid, and she's still doing it today. We called the vet, they are not concerned said it may be reaction to the medicine, or has an upset stomach, what ever that means. Well I find she ate good yesterday and the day before, but only picked at her food. She's drinking her water and peeing and pooping just fine.

I'm taking her back to the vet in a few short bit just to be on the safe side. She seems to be a very happy puppy and very playful. I do believe in the long run she will be ok with us taking her so young.

clm
June 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I hope it works out for you, but 6.5 weeks old is too young to be taken from mom and it's siblings. 8 weeks old is considered a minimum. No reputable breeder would allow a pup to go at that age, ever. I realize you're quite smitten with her, and she is an adorable pup, but I really do hope you don't end up with a lot of heartache and health problems due to bad breeding later. :fingerscr

Keep us posted with lots of pics as she grows.

BusterBoo
June 25th, 2007, 07:17 PM
so glad that your little Gracie is being well looked after, poor baby having to go through mange!

Good luck with Gracie and hope you get to post lots of pictures as she is growing!! :cloud9:

TeriM
June 26th, 2007, 02:13 AM
I'm glad you were able to get treatment for her mange. I hope she recovers quickly :fingerscr . It will be very important for you to work extra hard on socializing your pup. The extra weeks she's missed with her mother and littermates are prime weeks for learning bite inhibition and social interaction with other dogs as well as people. I would recommend puppy classes and possibly even a puppy daycare occasionally if you are able.

Here is some additional info that might be useful for you.

Stage 3: The Overlap Stage
4-7 Weeks
From 3-4 weeks, your puppy begins the most critical social development period of his life - he learns social interaction with his littermates, learns how to play and learns bite inhibition. He'll also learn discipline at this point - Mom will begin weaning the pups around this time, and will start teaching them basic manners, including accepting her as the leader of the pack. You can begin to introduce food to the pups starting around the 4th week - transition gradually as Mom weans them.

Continue handling the pups daily, but don't separate them from either Mom or litter mates for more than about 10 minutes per day. Puppies that are removed from the nest too early frequently are nervous, more prone to barking and biting and have a more difficult time with socialization and training. Puppies need to be left with Mom and siblings until at least 7 weeks of age - and preferably a little longer - for optimum social development.

Experts say that the best time in a puppy's life to learn social skills is between 3 and 16 weeks of age - that's the window of opportunity you have to make sure your puppy grows up to be a well-adjusted dog. It's extremely important to leave your puppy with Mom and his littermates during as much of this period as possible. Don't discipline for play fighting, housebreaking mistakes or mouthing - that's all normal behavior for a puppy at this stage.

Stage 4: The "I'm Afraid of Everything" Stage
8 Weeks to 3 Months
The "I'm Afraid of Everything" Stage lasts from about 8 weeks to 3 months, and is characterized by rapid learning as well as a "fearful period" that usually pops up at around 8 to 10 weeks. Not all dogs experience this, but most do, and they'll appear terrified over things that they took in stride before. This is not a good time to engage in harsh discipline (not that you ever should anyway!), loud voices or traumatic events.

At this time your puppy's bladder and bowels are starting to come under much better control, and he's capable of sleeping through the night (At last, you can get some rest!). You can begin teaching simple commands like come, sit, stay, down, etc. Leash training can begin. It's important not to isolate your puppy from human contact at this time, as he'll continue to learn behaviors and manners that will affect him in later years.

TeriM
June 26th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Also, if you insist that the puppy is to be left alone all day (not recommended!) you should use a setup with a crate and exercise pen similar to the following description:

I have found that the use of a crate along with an exercise pen works best when training pups from 8 weeks to 6 months of age. An exercise pen is a folding 8 paneled pen without a floor that can be easily be moved from house to yard to car. They are available in different heights and connect very simply with brass hooks and can be set up in any shape and more than one can be used to make the pups area larger. They are great because they allow the puppy the freedom of going in and out of his/her crate at will…..thus reinforcing the pups natural instinct to keep his/her (crate) bed clean. Old stuffed animals and a blanket in the crate will let him know that the crate is his bed. Newspaper spread on the area outside the crate but inside the exercise pen area serves as the temporary bathroom area. This does not mean you shouldn’t be bringing the pup outside to the area you have designated to be his bathroom. You should diligently incorporate both methods and gradually increase the bathroom trips outside as your puppy ages so that he/she will be gradually decreasing the times he/she eliminates in the exercise pen area. Lavish praise should be given to the pup when he/she eliminates in the outside bathroom. The exercise pen serves as a small kennel area for the puppy when he/she cannot be watched and eliminates frustration on the new owners part when it comes to accidents happening in the house. It is serving a valuable function since the puppy is not using different areas of the house as his/her bathroom…..pups will return to the scent of where they have previously eliminated. They can still smell it even though you think you have cleaned it sufficiently. Exercise pens can also protect your home and your puppy from damage……pups like to chew on things like electrical cords. No puppy should ever be kept in a crate for the whole day while you are at work and the kids at school. This is cruel and abusive. The exercise pen with the pups toys, food and water make a much better situation for the pup during times of your absence and even when you are at home and too busy to watch the pup. Your pup will eventually no longer need his/her exercise pen but I recommend the use of it until he/she is too be trusted in the house as far as eliminating and chewing on household items. The beginning of control over bowel and bladder begins at around 16 weeks of age. If you are lax about taking your pup outside to eliminate you will end up with a pup who is lax in his/her bathroom habits. It is your responsibility to make house training a success. The puppy desires to please you. Repetition is the key.

I would actually use the peepads instead of the newspaper. To begin with you need to cover the whole area but soon you begin to make the pads only on a smaller area until you only need one small area. The pee pads can also be left near the door which you will use so that the dog will learn to go to that door.

isninha
June 26th, 2007, 08:38 AM
When I bought my shih tzu, he is already 2mths old. 6 1/2 weeks is indeed very small. You really got to be very careful. Don't try to leave the puppy alone. He needs companion.

When I bought my puppy I have been feeding him every 2 hours, as he vomits and is ill. I follow the doctor advice and feeding him around the clock.

He's now strong and healthy!
Be patience