Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hernia help

Emma000
June 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
My french bulldog has been diagnosed with a hernia today after having a fever at the begining of the week and loss of appetite and unable to put any weight on his back legs. After a few days he was eating and drinking again but he is still very unstable on his back legs and will not put all his weight on them. The vet told me she thinks it is a hernina and that he will just have to live with it but I know hes in pain as hes not his usual happy self and does not want to walk anywhere.She said they would not operate unless he could not walk at all but he can a little is this true does anybody know what I should do Im so upset to think that he will have this problem always. :

satchelp
June 21st, 2007, 04:45 PM
I'm actually surprised that your vet doesn't know if your dog has a hernia or not. Regardless, your dog does not seem to be getting proper care if he is having problems walking and the vet is saying that nothing can be done unless your dog is totally unable to walk. This seems quite preposterous to me, and I think you need to see a different vet and get a proper diagnosis. Your dog should not have to remain in pain.

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2007, 04:47 PM
I think perhaps that the OP lost something in the translation... meaning that the dog has a herniated disc... not a hernia.. I could be wrong about that though.

If it is a herniated disc, then it's rest, pain meds and light exercise to build up the strenght slowly. It can be operated on but rather costly.

satchelp
June 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
ah .. that might be it .. although this was prefaced with the info that the dog had a fever and loss of appetite. If it is a disc, I certainly understand the reason for not doing surgery at this time, but the vet should also have given the OP advice on how to make her dog more comfortable or to help with rehab etc. (even a list of do's and don'ts?)