Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heartworm treatment

DVenable
June 21st, 2007, 12:55 PM
We have a 1 yr old cocker spaniel that has been diagnosed with heartworms. She is such a loving sweet dog but she is also very very hyper. She can't stay still for even a minute. Her tail is constantly going along with her whole rear end LOL. She is just the love of our household. I have read up on the heartworm treatment and also what my vet has told us. All I have read and been told is that they cannot have vigorous activity for 4-6 weeks. What is vigorous activity? I mean if she runs from one room to the next, will this be fatal? Can she not run, jump, play at all? Also, will the treatment itself make her not want to do anything? We just got her spaid on Monday and she had no effects from is whatsoever. She is still running, jumping and chasing squirrels. I am really scared to start this treatment. I want her to live a long healthy life but am I going to kill her with the treatment?

Please send some advice my way!!

Thanks!!

clm
June 21st, 2007, 01:05 PM
If you don't start the treatment she'll die for sure.
Talk to your vet and see what he reccommends for keeping her quiet while undergoing treatment. You may have to crate her to keep her from running around. I've never had to treat a dog for heartworms so I really don't know, but I would ask your vet to see what he thinks you should do.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Cindy

ChancesMom
June 21st, 2007, 02:33 PM
Hi!

There are more than one type of treatment for heartworm, and you are smart to ask the questions about an alternative.

What you can do is to either opt to see a holistic vet in your area for treatment or to ask if your vet would consider treating your pet with a holistic approach - you could set up for a phone consultation from a holistic vet would could supervise the treatment.

This is the link of just one holistic vet in my part of the country that is very accomplished and offers phone consultations:

http://www.drmarty.com/resources.htm

On that page is also a link to the American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association, where you can click to search for a holistic vet in your area.

Good luck in finding the right treatment for your dog and best wishes to a full recovery of your dog.

DVenable
June 21st, 2007, 03:28 PM
If you don't start the treatment she'll die for sure.
Talk to your vet and see what he reccommends for keeping her quiet while undergoing treatment. You may have to crate her to keep her from running around. I've never had to treat a dog for heartworms so I really don't know, but I would ask your vet to see what he thinks you should do.
Good luck, I hope all goes well.

Cindy

Thanks for your responses. They are acting like it is no big deal but I don't think they realize how active this dog is!! Does anyone have any experience with this?

Cathy1
June 21st, 2007, 05:28 PM
When Duke went through heartworm treatment, the vet told us no vigorous activity. She said if he was a very active dog we may have to crate him if we could not get him to stay calm but we didn't have to much of a problem in the house because he was never a runner in the house. If he went out in the yard we had to walk him on a leash because he goes wild when out in the yard. We were able to take him for very short slow walks as long as he didn't run but he would get very excited and would start jumping around if he saw other animals or kids so we just walked him around the yard. For the first week he mostly laid around because of an upset tummy.

DVenable
June 22nd, 2007, 09:52 PM
Thank you for your help. She has an appt for the 2nd of June. It will be a long 6 weeks!! Anymore input would be great!!