Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fecal incontenence

Marta Elena
June 21st, 2007, 11:35 AM
I've a foster cat on prednisolone and clindamycin for an ear-mouth-throat infection he's recovering from. He's had a total mouth extraction so that he eats a/d and moistened kitten food. Lionel is 8 to 10 years old, he was abandoned by his family when they moved out. Lately he's had fecal incontinence and diahrrea, a couple of days after starting on pred. Could that be the cause though I understand prednisolone should help with diahrrea. I'm calling the vet anyways but I'm curious as to why he has it while being on pred (tho I know there could be other causes, he's had many tests and all his problems were dx as infection related)..Thank-you very much

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
I would be more likely to suspect the clindamycin as the cause. Clindamycin can be pretty harsh stuff (ack! I still have "fond" memories of my own course of clindamycin...:yuck:)

Also, did you switch his food over slowly or all at once? An abrupt change in diet can also cause gastric upset.

Regardless, I'm glad you're bringing the old boy into the vet. He may be able to prescribe something to help calm his intestines. You're an :angel: for giving him a caring home and taking care of him in his need! :thumbs up

krdahmer
June 21st, 2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you for taking in this poor fellow:angel: ... I hope he feels better soon. Good luck at the vets!:pray:

clm
June 21st, 2007, 01:27 PM
I hope he's going to be okay. And I wouldn't call an 8 to 10 year old cat old....just barely middle age for a cat IMO.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM
And I wouldn't call an 8 to 10 year old cat old....just barely middle age for a cat IMO.

Cindy

:o Ooops...that was my Bad. he he In my defense, we run on dog years here! :D sorry! :o

LittleMissLevi
June 21st, 2007, 05:52 PM
I would also agree that is probably the clindamycin more than the prednisolone. Clindamycin is known for causing wicked diarrhea. The pred was probably given after the dental stuff to help keep down inflammation and other stuff that can be irritating to a healing mouth. How many days are left on both meds? If the diarrhea is as bad as you say and there are lots of days left for taking the meds I would probably stop the clindamycin and ask the vet if there is an alternative antibiotic can be used. Also ask what the pred is for and you may be able to stop that as well.

Marta Elena
July 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Apologies for this late post and thank-you very much everybody..Lionel is doing fine now. His gut flora was wiped out by the antibiotics_clyn and he had had two series of shots before so bye-bye gut life, bad and good_ he had to grow a new crop, he doesn't like yogurt so the vet gave him a culture in powder that I added to his food, worked wonders, it took about a couple of days for almost normal stools, he eats mostly canned food b/c of his mouth surgery so when it heals he'll go back to crunchies, for now I moisten his dry food.
Thank-you again! Hope you're having a Happy Fourth:usa:

sugarcatmom
July 4th, 2007, 02:04 PM
he eats mostly canned food b/c of his mouth surgery so when it heals he'll go back to crunchies, for now I moisten his dry food.

Glad to hear Lionel is doing better. What a trooper! I just have a quick comment on the food thing: in the long run, canned is actually better than dry for cats, would there be any way for you to stick with the canned? (not A/D though, which is only supposed to be for supplemental feeding). Also, a word of warning about wetting the dry food, which can cause bacteria to flourish if left out for very long. Here's more info: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=446687#post446687

Hope Lionel continues to recover and eventually finds his forever home. Good luck!