Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stinky gas

barbiegal39
June 21st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on what would cause my 1 year old (on the 1st of July:ca: ) cocker spaniel to suddenly be passing rather unpleasant gas.:yuck: We switched him over to adult food in the last month, and just in the last 2 or 3 days he's been quite flatulent! Could it take a couple of weeks before the new food would cause this? No problem with his poop..it's regular and normal consistency.

I appreciate your comments, as I am a first time dog owner (and loving every minute of it!), and never quite now what to expect.

Regards,
Barb

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
Not sure if there would be a delayed reaction to the food or not...but 'tis also the season for worms, and that definitely could be causing the excess gas. We don't even bother to test for them anymore--we just deworm all of them as a matter of course twice a year because we know they usually get tape worms and hookworms... :shrug: A vet can sometimes tell from a stool sample if a pet has worms, but depending on when the sample is collected, you might miss the signs of worms (wormy life cycles are a wondrously complex mystery to work out :rolleyes: ...if you miss window of opportunity when the eggs are passing in the stool, you can very easily miss signs of infestation).

Tis also the season for grass mowing. Is your dog enamored (as are ours) of the clippings? Our dogs love to nosh on them, which also results in gas. (insert :smiley pinching its nose closed: here)

:o

Smiley14
June 21st, 2007, 12:54 PM
Great comments by Hazel! If you can rule out things like that, it's also very possible it's the food. On one of my dog's food switches, he was fine the first few weeks and then it gradually got worse and worse and worse to the point where after four months (I kept thinking he would adjust!) it was VERY stinky ALL the time! LOL! Switched again and within two weeks, back to normal. But it was a delayed reaction for sure. What are you feeding? The food forum has GREAT suggestions for good quality food as well as supplements for sensitive tummies.