Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My puppy strated her heat at only 5 month...what????

SaraGeorge
June 21st, 2007, 09:45 AM
HI everyone,
I have a standard schnauzer puppy, Sara. She just turned 5 months old on June 19th, she was born on Jan. 19. 2007. She sleeps on my bed by my feet and this morning I found some blood like sposts all over where she sleeps.
She is only 5 months old and I don't know if the stains are from her loose puppy teeth or from something else. I have a neutured male 4 years old dog and would he be all over her if Sara is in heat????

I also checked her crate, she is in her crate while I am at work, but no blood stain there. I was going o spay her when she reaches 6 months. If she did start her period/heat, can I still spay her while she is in heat?

I am so sad, my little puppy (she still has some of her puppy teeth still) is grwoing up to be a beautiful lady....oh Sara.... :(

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2007, 11:45 AM
It's possible that she could be experiencing an early heat. Dogs, like people, can be pretty variable in their development. Your neutered male wouldn't necessarily be all over her--even intact males often don't show interest till 8 - 10 days into the cycle--but he might be sniffing her more frequently.

It could very well have been from teething, but if you're not sure where the blood was coming from, a trip to the vet is in order. A vet should be able to determine if the blood was heat-related, tooth-related, or something else entirely...and unexplained blood is always something that demands attention.

As to spaying, some vets will spay during a heat cycle--but they usually charge more because of the extra precautions they must take. There is a greater chance for complications if a spay is done during the heat cycle so often the vets will counsel you to wait it out and have the surgery done later.

It is sad, isn't it, how quickly they grow up? :grouphug: So much joy, so little time. :o So you have to enjoy every minute of it :thumbs up