Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

9Mo puppy barks at us in evening as we watch TV

Sharkmom
June 21st, 2007, 08:26 AM
Our 9 month old Maltese Roxie between 9-10pm will bark at us with great urgency as we watch TV. When we get up she runs from us like a "bat out of he**". Then she will run at a speed a greyhound would envy in circles or around the room, but always out of reach. We have never seen a dog run so fast. She gets walked morning and evening and has play times too. Help!:evil:

clm
June 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Puppies are little wired balls of energy. A tired puppy is a happy puppy, so looks like you're going to need to play with her a little more or longer walks. :shrug: All my dogs have done that little mad dog thing, too funny when they're little. Not a great thing to have them do in the house when full grown, especially if you have a little house like me. :p

Cindy

joeysmama
June 21st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Cooper does this too. He has since he was a puppy and he'll be two in two months. In fact the only time he growls is when he wants attention from us to play with him. In the day he is a couch potato doggie. He loves to cuddle and sleep. But in the evening he gets energetic and zoomy.

Yes, I've tried giving him more stimulation and exercise in the day--longer walk etc. It helps a little but not a lot. He's just wired to have play time then. I thinkhe's just happy and keyed up when everyone is home.

Usually one of us will sit on the floor and let him play tug and fetch with one of his stuffies. And that way the rest of us can actually hear the television.;)

After ten minutes to a half hour of play he's still active but he's more content to amuse himself with a toy or a rawhide.

Hunter's_owner
June 21st, 2007, 12:16 PM
Yes, I've tried giving him more stimulation and exercise in the day--longer walk etc. It helps a little but not a lot. He's just wired to have play time then. I thinkhe's just happy and keyed up when everyone is home.

Usually one of us will sit on the floor and let him play tug and fetch with one of his stuffies. And that way the rest of us can actually hear the television.;)

After ten minutes to a half hour of play he's still active but he's more content to amuse himself with a toy or a rawhide.

This sounds so much like Hunter. For the most part Hunter is pretty mellow, especially for a lab. But when my man's parents are around he turns into an attention seeker. They tend to give him his own way all the time, no matter what we say:shrug:
So yeah, when they are around and we are sitting around chatting, he will bark and bark until someone pays him attention.
They reinforce this behaviour by giving him attention when he barks.
It is a very hard habit to break especially when the two sides are the problem, both Hunter and the in-laws.

I would suggest either playing with him before he starts barking, or else waiting it out so that the behvaiour isn't reinforced.

Frenchy
June 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM
Then she will run at a speed a greyhound would envy in circles or around the room,

:laughing: No advice here ! Nelly does the same once in the morning and once in the evening and she's a great dane :D she runs from my bed to the living room, then back to my bedroom, gets on the bed , make a 180 and here we go again, let's just say I have to rearrange a few things when she's done :laughing:

BusterBoo
June 21st, 2007, 12:27 PM
Sounds like Roxie wants to play! My two do the same thing and it usually takes about 5 minutes of throwing a ball before they will settle down.

As for the running like crazy......we refer to it as the Tzu500 or Zoomies! Here's a short clip of Buster in action!!! This happens twice a day and usually both dogs are running.......lasts anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes! We just stand back and let them go!!!!!! :laughing:

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g229/Loubrat/?action=view&current=P5210001.flv

Sharkmom
June 23rd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the posts everyone! Our 1st dog lived for 17 years, so our memories are more of the sedate years. We are trying to exercise Roxie more and when she does the barking, ignore her...then when she stops (even for a few seconds) we play a little fetch. Then she is ready veg out while we finish our show. The Taz500 is really fun to watch, nice to know they all do it!

hazelrunpack
June 23rd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Amazing how quickly you forget the puppy zoomies, isn't it, Sharkmom? Our dogs aren't allowed to play in the house...so of course, they do. Loudly and often. :rolleyes: There's 6 of them between the ages of 4 and 5 1/2 years...number 7 arrives later today and he's only 9 months of age. Adding the youngster is not going to calm them down any time soon, I'm sure! :laughing:

:eek: