Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Chewed A Woolly Bear Caterpillar!

cluelessowner
June 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I found a chewed up Wooly Bear Caterpillar in my dogs bed. I figured one of them must have surely done it. I'm very concerned!
Can my dogs get sick? Or Worse ...can they die from it?:sad:
Please HELP!!

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I've never heard that woolly bears were toxic to dogs. And if your dog only chewed it, but didn't eat it, I wouldn't be too worried. How is your dog acting? Any foaming or gagging? Rapid breathing? Our dogs chew on caterpillars now and then, too, with no ill effects.

cluelessowner
June 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Both of my dogs are usually extremly active. But i have noticed that one has not really been himself today. He's been in bed most of the day. Which is so not like him. When someone knocks on the front door he will just bark away ,but not today. He looks very depressed.
I fed him twice earlier and he ate just fine. But I just tried feeding him his dinner he doesn't even want to move from his bed.
I'm even more concerned now!!!

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 10:18 PM
That doesn't sound very good. Is there a vet clinic with an emergency line to call for advice? I'd be surprised if it was from the caterpillar, but it sure seems like there's something going on with your dog.

What type of dog is it? How old?

cluelessowner
June 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
He is a Chihuahua and only 6 months old. He weighs just a little under 10 pounds.
I'll check to see if i can find a Vet or Pet Hospital still open at this hour. So i can atleast ask them on the phone.
Thanks!

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Oh, my, yes! For a dog that small and that young, definitely call! Things can happen so quickly when they're so little!

Many vets have emergency numbers you can call during off hours--you get an answering service that will page a vet for you. If you can't find a clinic that's open, try calling some of the local vets' numbers and see if any of them have an answering service.

Good luck, clueless! I hope your little chi is okay! :fingerscr Please let us know what the vet says!

mummummum
June 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
As well, many of the answering services at Vet Clinics can provide you with the telephone number for your country's Poison Control Centre which is specific to animals.

luckypenny
June 20th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Well, I found this, "These caterpillars have spiny bristles or long fine hair-like setae with detachable tips that will irritate by lodging in the skin or mucous membranes." I agree with mummummum, call a Poison Control Center for more info.

The phone numbers in Canada: http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=7584

And in the US call 1-800-222-1222, they will put you in contact with the center in your state.