Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sugar-free gum

t.pettet
June 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
While in waiting room at vets today (just vaccinations), read article about Xylitol in April issue of Dogs in Canada. I had no idea it is toxic to our dogs, apparently just a tiny amount (1 to 2 pieces of gum) can poison a 20lb. dog. It can trigger a massive insulin release from the pancreas gland and within 30minutes dog will walk unsteadily, become weak and depressed and will likely develop seizures. It can also induce liver failure. Inducing vomiting and get to a vet asap. Scary! My guys are always trying to pick-up used gum on the streets.

mummummum
June 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I believe it is also in some mints and other candies as well as being produced as a sugar-substitute sweetener.

Dr Lee
June 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
This dangerous substance can also be found in some toothpastes, some baked goods and pudding cups. Unfortunately this means you really need to read those labels!

Xylitol can also cause liver damage, hemorrhage and DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation - yes, this is as bad as it sounds). Furthermore many of the patients who develop these signs, did NOT always show the signs of low blood sugar!

It is dangerous stuff!

SnowDancer
June 21st, 2007, 10:46 AM
I used to work for a holding company that owned a chemical plant that manufactured Xylitol so I have been reading labels for years - the stuff is in so many products. Actually it makes my husband feel sick, so this is one ingredient that is unlikely to find itself into our house - now if only he wasn't so careless about things he can eat that the dog can't (chocolate for one).

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2007, 03:27 PM
I hate substitute sweeteners. Except for Splenda - which is also now coming under scrutiny - with aspertame, you might as well be injecting yourself or your pet with formaldehyde which is a known carcinogen! Its fine if you are dead and at a funeral home but that's it. Even people who work at funeral homes have been known to develop cancer and are being studied.

I was hopeful about Selenda - met the guy who developed it at a wedding so I managed to get a box free. Silly me - scientist and all - I did try it and liked it. Now it appears ti can cause heat palpitations and so studies are being ordered in the US. Canada will likely follow in a yr or so...

(And I have all this splenda, sigh!)

mummummum
June 21st, 2007, 04:21 PM
This dangerous substance can also be found in some toothpastes, some baked goods and pudding cups. Unfortunately this means you really need to read those labels!

Xylitol can also cause liver damage, hemorrhage and DIC (disseminated intravascular coagulation - yes, this is as bad as it sounds). Furthermore many of the patients who develop these signs, did NOT always show the signs of low blood sugar!

It is dangerous stuff!

And yet oddly enough, if memory serves, it was initially found to be the "perfect" artificial sweetener for diabetic humans. :confused: Weird !