Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stupid cat jumping out of the window question...

cervo2k2
June 20th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Hi !

I have just discovered this forum and am very happy to have a place where people can ask questions and look up important information. Thank you !

I have a silly question: I have never had a cat before and have just moved into a new place that is big enough for me to have a cat. The issue is that I live on the 4th floor and have very big windows but no screens on them.

Will my cat jump out the windows?

Thank you for any insight anyone can provide. I don't want to hurt my future kitty and I'm not sure if cats are silly enough to jump out like that...

Thanks,
Al

Winston
June 20th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Absolutely! I would never take the chance! My cats would be very curious??? besides they are safer indoors?

Cindy

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yes! Cats are silly like that. Actually it happens a lot in the summer when people have their windows open, especially if the cats spot a bird flying by. You need to get screens that are secure and cannot be knocked out by a curious kitty!

MyBirdIsEvil
June 20th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Yup, in fact, as sablecollie mentioned, if the screens are not strongly secured he may even knock them out and jump out.

Even with seemingly tough screens some cats seem to be able to rip through them. Growing up our house had fairly thick metal screens and my parent's cat ripped through them one by one so he could get outside.
Of course, he was a previously outdoor cat when he belonged to my aunt, so he REALLY wanted to go outside. A cat that's always been indoors may not try as hard.

Either way, height is not much of a deterrant for cats if they really want to get out, or they see something interesting to go after.