Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cluck cluck, cockadoodle doo!

erykah1310
June 20th, 2007, 06:00 PM
After months of waiting, THEY'RE here! Finally!

Mr.Rooster
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Rabbits/rooster1.jpg

And his hens
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Rabbits/chickens3.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Rabbits/chickens2.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Rabbits/chickens1.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h154/erykah1310/Rabbits/chickens5.jpg

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Chickens!!!! Mr. Rooster certainly looks content with all those girls! Are you going to name them? Ooh, you can teach them tricks! :D (Yes, chickens can be trained!)

I had a very tame chicken when I was a kid that I rescued from my school's hatching "project". Unfortunately she "flew the coop" and moved in with another flock down the street! She was just the color of Mr. Rooster.

erykah1310
June 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Right now my main focus with the hens, is to get them to trust me and stop biting me.
I have had them for 2 hours now and have been bit twice! :rolleyes:

They are adjusting to the cageless life. They came from a hatchery and you can tell they arent overly accustomed to human contact.

One already escaped ( while taking them out of the crate) it was quite interesting trying to catch her, but she's safe and sound now.

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 06:34 PM
They will get used to you over time! We've had quite a few stray chickens at the shelter and they've all gotten used to people. A lot of chickens will bite your fingers if you reach towards their face though...I don't know if they think it's food or what! Easiest thing to do is just to sit with them when you have time, read a book or something so they get used to human presence. Chickens are naturally curious so they will probably approach you eventually if you are still. Roosters can be aggressive/territorial though...they scare me a bit! I got stuck in a chicken coop when I was 9...I went in to collect the eggs and the rooster stood in the doorway and wouldn't let me back out! I had to wait for someone to walk by and help me cuz I was too scared to try to get by him! :D

When I have my "house in the country" (which will hopefully be before I turn 90! :rolleyes: ) I want to rescue some chickens and have them as pets. :)

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Very handsome Mr Rooster, Erykah! He sure does have some cute Chicks to hang out with! :D What do the dogs think of them?

erykah1310
June 20th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Apparently Puppy isnt over his fears of chickens yet.
I dont trust Meiko with them one bit, he wants to herd, but gets too aggressive for chickens,
Kita isnt the fondest of them and Bailey wants to eat them.
Good thing they're secured good and so are the dogs.

I have 5 hens a couple years ago, all went well without incident and they were in a crappy old coop then. This new coop is a mansion compared to that one.

( Remember the demolition thread from this spring?? that was the old coop):eek:

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 06:54 PM
Ooooo...amazing! hazel's feeble memory does remember the demolition! :thumbs up :D

Why is Puppy afraid of chickens?! Poor guy! Do they give him nightmares?

erykah1310
June 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Im not sure why he's afraid of them, but when he first came to live here, I had some wandering around the yard ( free range) and when he first saw them, he barreled to the house wimpering like a baby.:shrug:
He never did go too close to them.

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Im not sure why he's afraid of them, but when he first came to live here, I had some wandering around the yard ( free range) and when he first saw them, he barreled to the house wimpering like a baby.:shrug:
He never did go too close to them.

And he's such a big boy, too! Go figure! :shrug:

But I guess I know a few people who are afraid of birds, and they're pretty big, too. :D

Well, I hope Puppy makes his peace with them. He must be relieved that they've been incarcerated and are behind bars! :D

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Oh poor Puppy! Maybe it's just the "differenceness" that scares him? (think I just made up a word there...)

I hope he figures out that the chickens are more afraid of him!

erykah1310
June 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
apparently I share Puppys worries.
I was just out with them, making sure they are settling in and so on. One of the hens saw herself a yummy mosquito and started chasing it...
Ithought to myself " what on earth is wrong with her" ( I didnt see the skeeter right away) anyways, potentially long story short, she ran towards me after the skeeter and I panicked!!!! I was sure she was in "attack mode":laughing: however, once the skeeter went off in a different direction, so did she.
Phew!

Frenchy
June 20th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I was sure she was in "attack mode":laughing:

Prey drive :laughing:

TeriM
June 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
So are these chickens for eggs?

JanM
June 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
What a handsome rooster - looks rather proud too :) Good luck with them!

SableCollie
June 21st, 2007, 12:21 PM
When chickens turn bad...:laughing: Good thing you figured out she was only after a bug!

rainbow
June 21st, 2007, 03:57 PM
So how many Chicks does Mr. Rooster have? Have you named them all yet? :D

chico2
June 21st, 2007, 04:31 PM
I can just picture you running away from a wee,little,harmless hen(at least I think they are):laughing:
Must be great to have chickens and a beautiful Rooster...you are sooo lucky:thumbs up

erykah1310
June 21st, 2007, 04:36 PM
The chickens are just for eggs, and the rooster, well, I got him to make noise in the AM. :D
There are 9 hens and I cant tell them apart yet at all. One however has one white feather on her right wing, so her name is Blaze.
They must be content here, I already got 5 eggs this morning. I wasnt expecting any until maybe tomorrow, with the stress of the truck ride to the feed lot and then the car ride to here.
Im still a little unsteady when they come too close to me and they feel the same, we can grow to love eachother together.;)

Crestedcrazy
June 21st, 2007, 06:11 PM
what a cute bunch!
we used to have some chickens way back when I was a teen, they used to lay blue eggs and we were not allowed to eat them!