Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

medication question

Hogansma
June 20th, 2007, 03:28 PM
Does anyone know if I can give a dog glucosamine with chondroitin with MSM 1300 mg? I take it myself for knee problems. I have a neighbours dog (he passed away), about 10 or 11 years old, 60 pounds and have just spent $450 at the vet on her. I just can't afford any arthritis medication for her right now. Would this be a good alternative?

mummummum
June 20th, 2007, 05:04 PM
How did surgery go Hogansma ? Many of us use Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM with our dawgs for joint issues. And, there are wholistic products available as well. As this dog is new to you, it's best to check with your Vet as they will likely have done a complete blood panel before surgery. You should also ask about dosage given her current weight and hopefully future weightloss as well as age. You can just phone the Vet ~ most will help you by phone with simple questions.

rainbow
June 20th, 2007, 05:54 PM
It is okay to give your dog glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM products for human use, but like MX3 (mummummum) said, phone your vet and ask what the safe dosage for her would be. :)

ChancesMom
June 21st, 2007, 03:08 PM
Hi!

You may also want to consider giving her Yucca. It works really well in the liquid form, as I do give it to my dog with excellent results. It is only $15 for 2 oz which lasts for months.

This is the exact one that I use, as an example:

http://www.1800petmeds.com/pdetail.asp?SK=10850

Devils claw is another great holistic herb for arthritis. I have not used it myself but have heard of others using it.

Take care.

Hogansma
June 23rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
Thank-you sooo much! You are all really helpful. I will try the glucosamine pills first cause I already have them.

CyberKitten
June 23rd, 2007, 08:24 PM
Before you use glucausamine (sp?) tho, make sure you check with your vet. It may be on the market but is IS a medication and may interfere with other meds she is on - check her weight and figure out how much she needs. I know dogs do not need as much as humans and each dog is unique!

This is true of any drug, including the holistic supplements. They all have advantages and disadvantages.

Even though I am a physician and can easily obtain all manner of meds fo my cats, I will only give them something after I discuss it with the vet - even though I do research in pain relief medications!

That said, gluc has worked well for my fav chocolate lab and as big as he is, he gets 1/2 a 500 mg tablet a day. (and it is the same as the human variety).
So, it all depends on how much your vet thinks he needs and how much he weighs and what else he is taking, what allergies he may have, etc, etc. Please check with your vet even tho this is generally a safe supplement.

geisha
June 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Thank you Cyberkitten!!
On another forum site I recommended that the dog's owner talk to the vet before giving her dog a salt substitute with intentions of using it as a potassium suppliment. The dog has congestive heart failure, and is on a low sodium dog food and is a 7lb chi. The ICU nurse in me said no way. Well she flamed me. :footinmouth: