Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Micrichipping?

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry if there is a thread posted on this already but I can't find it. If there is can someone point me in the right direction?

I basically want to know if this is something safe. I've read a bit on it, but I'd like to know if there is anyone here with their pets microchiped.

I'm wondering if these chips stay in their places and if it's painful to the pet.

angelinazzz
June 20th, 2007, 12:13 PM
i have one of my dog microchiped and playing to do it again on my new puppy. Its a little bit painfull for like a second when we install it.
Its absolutely safe and it stays in place.
Its really worth it.:thumbs up

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Oh cool. That was my concern, if it stayed in place. I'd hate the thought of that thing traveling into their body and puncturing something.

I thought it might be like a shot, so for a few seconds they might experience a little pain, but its like when they get their little shots at the vet.

SnowDancer
June 20th, 2007, 01:49 PM
My pup was microchipped shortly after we adopted him - 3 years ago - and it is still in place. Their is perhaps a slight sting during one part of the procedure but vet was ready with cookie placed in front of my guy's nose - and he is a dog that lets you know he is in pain - or worse "might" be in pain before it happens - and he didn't even flinch.

Lukka'sma
June 20th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I had my dog done, and I would do it again with any pets in the future. I don't think Lukka even realized it was happening. She was 14 wks when we got her done.

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Thanks! I'm going to talk to my vet about it when I take them to be spayed and neutered at the end of the month.

mummummum
June 20th, 2007, 06:21 PM
All my dawgs are chipped. I like the reassurance that even if their collars/ tags go missing ~ there is still a way to identify my boogerheads.

But, one thing I did learn from another post on this subject is that scanners are not standardized across North America. Dumb eh ?

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 06:58 PM
But, one thing I did learn from another post on this subject is that scanners are not standardized across North America. Dumb eh ?

Well that makes no sense at all!

I'm going to talk to my vet about doing this for my little ones.

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Yep, it's very stupid. We have 2 scanners at the shelter, one for 125 kHz chips, one for the 134.2 kHz. Banfield pet hospitals started the problem when they randomly decided that their microchips would be on a different frequency (up till that point, everything was 125 kHz)...and they weren't very good about informing their clients that many shelters and vets did not have the right scanners to pick up these chips! Canada has a "national microchip standard" apparently...but not here, leave it to the US to be all disorganized. :rolleyes:

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Incredible. I should do a bit more research. There has to be one that's more used than another, and I'm guessing that would be the type of chip to get.

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
In the US, the 125 kHz chip (Avid, HomeAgain) is most common, as it was the first kind available here. All the shelters I know have 125 kHz scanners. In Europe, they use the 134 kHz chip. So it depends where you live.

You can always call the shelters/spca's and vets in your area and ask if they have chip scanners, and if so what kind. That way you get a good idea of which chip has a better chance of getting picked up in your area.

And of course it is very important to keep your pet's info with the chip registry up to date. I cannot tell you how many times we get in stray animals that have been microchipped, but the owner's phone has been disconnected, or they moved, or the pet has been given to another person....And of course an ID tag is still the #1 identification tool. Individual people who find strays will often not think to bring a pet to a shelter or vet to be scanned for chip, but if the animal is wearing a tag with up to date info they are likely to contact the owner.

clm
June 20th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Both of my puppies are done, but the breeder does that. None of my cats are done and I wouldn't normally chip the dogs either. Just me, but I don't like foreign objects inserted under the skin.

Cindy

ancientgirl
June 20th, 2007, 09:46 PM
See, I like the idea of the microchiping, but like you, I don't like the idea of having something in their body.

It's something I keep going back and forth with myself over.