Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Recommendation for grieving dog

Vick12
June 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM
I don't know if this is in the right section or not.

My sister in law had to put down her Cavalier king Charles on Friday. Since then her shi-tzu (sp?) will not eat her food. The only thing she will eat is carrots.

She is not used to being alone in the house so Monday and Tuesday she pooped a couple of times in the house, which she's never done before.

She's around 6-8 pounds, 13 years old. She can't live just eating carrots. She doesn't want to feed her wet food. So we were wondering what could be good for her since she's not into her kibble anymore??

She's scared that she's going to fall into a depression. The dog just sits at the door and waits as if he's going to come back.

Any suggestion on food she could give her (instead of kibble)??

Thanks!

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I'm so sorry for your SIL's loss of her fur baby. :grouphug:

Has she taken her shih tzu to the vet to rule out anything medical?

Meanwhile, here's a simple something that serves many purposes--buy some plain yogurt (or some vanilla yogurt, but make sure the sweetener is not one of the artificial ones that can be toxic to dogs) and stir a tablespoon of it into her old kibble. It's good for their digestive system and will spice up her food. Our dogs love it!

And, of course, she needs lots of TLC and special attention. I'm convinced it's as hard on dogs to lose a close companion than it is for us! :grouphug:

I don't suppose your SIL is up to a new companion for her shih tzu? Sometimes a younger dog will help an older dog get back in touch with her inner puppy. :o

I hope both your SIL and her shih tzu are feeling better soon :grouphug: :candle:

Vick12
June 20th, 2007, 09:24 AM
It is harder on the dog then us....lol They we're bought at the same time so they've been together all their lives.....

The cavalier was not a friendly dog at the end....that's why she put him to sleep. Nobody could approach him or his belongings. She couldn't trust him anymore. She cried but she is getting over it faster then I thought.

The Shih-tzu didn't go to the vet, I don't think anything is wrong with her except that she misses him. She was never alone in the house before this....

When she came to my house she did eat the cat food lol. It was the wet food so I know she likes wet food, it's just that my SIL doesn't want to start that.

Thanks for the tip I will let her know :)

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, that house can see pretty darn big when you're all alone in it! Poor little dog!

The yogurt is at least an inexpensive remedy your SIL can try. :thumbs up I hope it works!

badger
June 20th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Maybe you could find someone to take her out or visit when you are absent. Without her 'friend', the time must be very long. Poor thing. I would literally be handfeeding her, buying her tasty canned food (for dogs only, please, cat food does not have what dogs need). She may find that being an only dog is not so bad! You could also get her a nice relaxed cat to pal around with. Rescues know if a cat has had good experiences with dogs and would be able to guide you.

JanM
June 20th, 2007, 03:00 PM
When my husband died, Bobby went into a depression. He and I were always bonded but after my husband died, Bobby stuck to me like glue. He ate his food but he was really down. I sent him out on 2-hr wilderness walks - without me at first - and that really helped. I also found new places for us to go so he could explore new things and I gave him tons of love (still do)... It took quite a while but he is out of his depression now so I think the trick is to find interesting things for the dog to do - as much as the owner and the dog can handle.

Good luck!

SuperWanda
June 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
What about some cooked hamburger and rice? - this was always suggested to me when my dogs had an upset tummy and seemed to stimulate a lack of appetite. I often add cooked beef or turkey to my dog's food. Sardines and canned salmon are also popular - just rinse first to remove the salt. Also eggs are very nutritious. Carrots are fine along with other veggies. Sometimes raw veggies can go right through a dog but if you cook or puree them to break down the cellulose it is easier for them to get the nutrients.

I agree with Jan M as well, maybe some fun activities to get him out of the house to get his mind off of the loss.

I hope he feels better soon!