Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question about thunderstorms

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
We're having one right now, I was about to vacuum when it started , but I was thinking this might be dangerous. When I was young , my mom used to close and unplug almost everything in the house, putting fears in our heads. She is still the same today, won't talk on her cordless phone if there's any thunder,closes the tv and radio.

So my question is this ; what do YOU won't use while a thunderstorm.

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Mom and Dad's house was on a hill with a tall TV antenna on the roof. The house was struck by lightning at least six times while we were kids until the trees around them grew up tall enough to attract the lightning themselves.

I will not take a shower, do dishes, or stand at a sink during a thunderstorm--very often the lightning will ground through the metal plumbing. (I remember once my little bro was in a high chair in front of the kitchen sink during a lightning strike--we could see electricity arc from the sink to the metal hinges on the chair. Scared us all--especially lil bro! Luckily he wasn't grounded because he was up in the chair! :eek:

We've also had the lightning blow out a few TV sets, so we power down and unplug things like TVs and computer screens. The power surge can also blow out the power supply in your computer, so we generally unplug the computer, too. And I usually unplug things with computer chips in them--like the DVD player and the VCR.

Cordless phones are okay to use, but corded phones should be avoided because the wires can conduct a lightning hit to your ear. In a word: ouch! :crazy:

I suppose a power surge could fry your vacuum cleaner, too, if you were using it during a storm. But my feeling is, if a power surge wrecks my vacuum cleaner, well, I just won't have to vacuum for a while till I get a new one. :highfive: Sounds like a good deal to me! :laughing:

joeysmama
June 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
I don't usually worry too much during a thunderstorm as long as I'm indoors and the windows are closed. But I don't like my kids to take a shower or talk on the phone during a storm !! And I'm really scared of the storm if we're outside.

JanM
June 19th, 2007, 08:55 PM
When I lived in Winnipeg and we got those really severe storms, I would not have the TV on, would not talk on the phone, would not use the computer or have a bath or a shower and wouldn't use any electrical gadget either. We were at a cottage in the Whiteshell one time and lightening came up through a lamp that was on - blew it to smithereens...

Out here - Vancouver Island - we haven't had a real thunderstorm in the 4 or 5 years that I've been here!

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Franctly for me , it was more of an excuse to not vacuum :p

You guys did scare me tough. :eek:

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2007, 09:33 PM
:highfive: Yep, another convert to hazel's "Any Excuse Not To Vacuum" Club! :laughing:

erykah1310
June 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
When there's a bad T storm here, I make a cup of coffee, and head outside to enjoy it.

I unplug my computer,modem, and tv's but thats just in the even of power surges. ( Im a tad paraniod even with surge protectors)

I love thunderstorms, last year when we had our "microbursts" I was out side video taping the storms.
Sucked that I was without power for a week, but what a show!:D

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 10:05 PM
When there's a bad T storm here, I make a cup of coffee, and head outside to enjoy it.

I love them too, but now with the dogs , Bailey and Nelly are real scared of them , so was Daisy, I just put the radio a bit higher (volume) and act like nothing is out of the ordinary.

erykah1310
June 19th, 2007, 10:06 PM
lightning actually starts from the ground. Contrary to popular belief that it comes "down".

The only thing I avoid like the plague is my meter ( and other peoples meters if im working) even a bump on a meter can cause an arc( depending on the bump)

I was never so fascinated with work place training as I was for Hydro.
I love electricity but fear it too much to work "lines" ;)

erykah1310
June 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I love them too, but now with the dogs , Bailey and Nelly are real scared of them , so was Daisy, I just put the radio a bit higher (volume) and act like nothing is out of the ordinary.

Best thing to do, Puppy and Meiko are terrified as well, I just basically ignore them and act as though everything is "normal"

Its sad to watch them be so fearful though.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Its sad to watch them be so fearful though.

Yes it is, I tried some natural remedy 2 years ago that I bought at my vet, but you have to give it to them an hour before. Very hard to guess when the thunder will start so I always ended up giving it to them too late. :frustrated:

CyberKitten
June 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I used to love inclement weather - even serious storms in Fla where my parents go for the winter!! This was even in spite of treating people in the ER - mostly children - who had been hit by lightning. I figured I knew how to look after myself in a storm and even though many of these patients probably did to, some of them paid for with serious injury or death. I even had a close friend who like me loved to watch storms on the beach and was killed instantly by lightening because she was outside with a silver necklace on and was hit.

Still, I yearned to be a weather watcher - a tornado chaser!! That all changed after we experienced Hurricane Juan in Halifax. My bf and I have a summer home not far from Peggy's Cove (not IN P's Cove, it's a heritage area with maybe 40 families) and we had to evacuate and come to our house in the south end of Hfx. It was easily one of the worst rides of my life - excluding escaping gunfire and warfare with Drs without Borders of course - and we had to avert falling trees, electricity lines that would blow up in front of us and the flames were flying everywhere, the water in some places was up to our vehicle (a large SUV!) and at night, the hurricane really did sound like a train going through our home!! Dogastrophe can prob relate his experience too!

That said, it was no normal T storm and I still am unafraid but am VERY cautious I unplug almost everything and would NEVER talk on the phone or certainly not vacuum - I tun off the computer and the TV first! I stay away from windows and we have made sure our home is as safe as it can be. (And I am used to visiting my folks in Fla and having tornado warnings - I once was in a Church with my mom and discovered only the next day there was a tornado next to it that very evening! We could see the lightening through the cracks in the building! )

I do not stand near anything that is electrical. I never swim or take a shower (copper pipes conduct electricity)!!!! I certainly do not handle anything that is metal! NOTHING!!! We have a weather radio now and use that.

And I wait an hour if I have to leave. I think I wrote a long treatise about this in an earlier post - last year maybe - much more detailed. The very worst thing you can do is use a telephone, a computer and then other electrical equipment.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm not being that careful then :eek: I never unplug anything , still use the radio,tv and computer. :o

wdawson
June 19th, 2007, 10:30 PM
my lightning rod:laughing: , my electric lawn mower:D

pitgrrl
June 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Yes it is, I tried some natural remedy 2 years ago that I bought at my vet, but you have to give it to them an hour before. Very hard to guess when the thunder will start so I always ended up giving it to them too late. :frustrated:

:sorry: ...this is going off topic, but I have to share my thunderstorm phobia discovery because it's been working so damn well (and this is with a dog that used to hide in the bathtub looking like he was going to have a heart attack and refuse to go out for days after a storm).

So, the discovery is a DAP diffuser ( http://www.healthypets.com/dapdogappher.html ) + Rescue Remedy (given every 15 minutes till they calm down, usually only takes once of twice). I've tried RR with little results before, but with the DAP I'm almost ready to chuck out the prescription meds we had to use last year.

.....okay, back to your regularily schedualled programming.

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 10:59 PM
pitgrrl, anyone can go off topic in any of my threads ! I don't mind . So this diffuser stuff works ? Ohhhh I have to try this ! I did try blanckets , they say to put a blancket on the dog so they don't feel the "electric energy" as much but it only makes them pant more (like it's not hot and humid enough!) and rescue remedy I can get at J.E.Mondoux ?

SableCollie
June 19th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm afraid of loud thunder...but my dogs aren't! I used to make sure the tv and everything was turned off, now I don't bother. Everything is plugged into "surge protectors" now which are supposed to protect appliances from power surges. My laptop I can just unplug and run on its battery. I do try to stay away from water. I also take sable's collar off if she has to go out during a storm, I don't want her tags to attract lightening or anything!

joeysmama
June 20th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Oh this is reminding me of how scared poor Joey used to be. He would pant and drool and shake. And he was too scared to be cranky so my husband would use the time to clip his fur if he needed it or give him his eye drops. I would just love that he would tolerate being held. He normally only liked to be held by people who were standing.

Cooper is not at all afraid of thunderstorms. Joey was also afraid of cameras--even if there ws no flash, so that included cam corders and binoculars. And firecrackers and bubble wrap of course.

Kristin7
June 20th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I don't normally shower during a thunderstorm, and if I remember, won't talk on the phone either. When I leave on a vacation, I unplug the electronic things, like tv, lamps, etc (but not the 'fridge!). When I was little, we had a house fire because of lightening, somehow it came through the wiring of a radio in the bedroom and started a fire. Even though I was only ~3 years old, I can still remember it...

CyberKitten
June 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I never unplug the stove or fridge either come to think of it. I guess I think they are immune, lol

Your story reminded me of when I was little and we had an apple orchard on the farm and a T-storm cut one of our beloved apple trees in half before our very eyes! I was not scared but sad to loose the tree!

pitgrrl
June 20th, 2007, 02:07 PM
pitgrrl, anyone can go off topic in any of my threads ! I don't mind . So this diffuser stuff works ? Ohhhh I have to try this ! I did try blanckets , they say to put a blancket on the dog so they don't feel the "electric energy" as much but it only makes them pant more (like it's not hot and humid enough!) and rescue remedy I can get at J.E.Mondoux ?

Apparently it's only some dogs that are reacting to the static, where as for others it's the noise (like it is with my dog), in which case getting rid of the static electricity won't really make a difference.

The Rescue Remedy you can get at any health food store, in fact they carry it at the Provigo near me. Some more "holistic" type pet stores have it too. Personally I like the spray bottle variety, easier to get in a dog's mouth while they wiggle, but the little dropper bottles are the same thing.

The DAP diffuser I had a hard time finding here, I finally got a friend to mail me one from Vancouver :laughing: but it was worht it. You can find them on line though, and cheaper I think.

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Everything is plugged into "surge protectors" now which are supposed to protect appliances from power surges.

I've heard, though, that the first time they get tripped, you have to replace them because they will no longer protect from a surge. Sort of like they sacrifice their own innards to protect your appliances and gadgets, but they can only do it that one time. Has anyone else heard that? Sure would be nice if it weren't true! :fingerscr

:sorry: for the :offtopic: , Frenchy. :o

SableCollie
June 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I've heard, though, that the first time they get tripped, you have to replace them because they will no longer protect from a surge.
If there is a big surge, then yes you have to replace them. That happened at my work, big power surge, the surge protector literally fried! This horrible burning smell came from it...we were told it "sacrificed itself" to save the computer, which it did, the computer was fine. If the computer had been plugged directly into an outlet instead of the surge protector, it would have been damaged.

However the surge protectors I have at my house I have had for a few years now, so it's not like you have to buy new ones every month. We've had minor power surges that caused the protectors to turn off, but we just have to hit the reset button, and as long as they start working okay, I just figure they are fine.

trippincherri
June 24th, 2007, 05:39 PM
I never unplug anything during storms. My computer and most other electronics are protected with surge protectors and I trust they will work.
But I will not use anything electrical during the storm either, and will only answer or use the cordless phone if I absolutley need to.
I do not take showers or baths either....for fear of lighting coming up through the pipes and standing near windows is out of the question!

My bf thinks I am crazy since his family never taught him any of these things, and he sees nothing wrong with using appliances and carrying on like there is no storm. Drives me insane!! Then my uncle was watching tv a few years ago and lightening came right through his tv and blew a hole into the wall beside their couch.....now my bf is a little wiser lol.

I try to spend my time calming down Shelby...who is terrified of storms. Nothing seems to help her. After one particularly bad storm episode with her last spring where she was shaking so violently she threw up all over the place and was whining like she was going to die (all the while my efforts to soothe her were absolutley useless) I went to our local vet and explained that I have tried playing music, distracting her with food and toys, I tried the act like nothings wrong and ignore her bit, I gave her this herbal remedy crap that did not even phase her, and none of it helped at all.
We couldn't take it anymore, especially when a T-Storm would hit at 2am and my bf needs to go to work at 5am and you can't sleep through a freaked out dog running all over panting,whining and sometimes puking.
The vet gave me some mild sedatives for her and so far we've used them 4 times since last June. Only if she gets real bad do I give her one....and they totally relax her. The pills are my last resort if I cannot calm her down myself...I know not everyone agrees with medicating your pet, but I am VERY thankful for them, not only do they relax Shelby so she does not end up hurting herself or getting sick, but they let us get some sleep at night!!

clm
June 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
Our first dog Freddie was terrified of storms. I can't tell you how many nights I slept on the hall floor with him if a storm hit during the night. I used to hate summer thunder storms, I went to work many a morning totally exhausted. I never got medication for him, it actually never dawned on me to do that, mind you he was on thyroid medication and medication for his arthritis, so I wouldn't have wanted to add to the chemical cocktail he was on anyway. Thank goodness our last dog Yogi and our current dog Baxter aren't bothered by storms at all. I hope little Bentley will be the same when we get him.

Cindy

Frenchy
June 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM
There was fireworks last evening near my place, Bailey hates them even more than thuder , even an hour after , he still didn't want to go outside to pee.
Got to get Rescue Remedy this week cuz there will be fireworks next week end too for Canada day.

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Ember wants to come to your house for Canada Day fireworks, Frenchy. He loves them! They have Rock Dam Days (or Daze, as we call them :D) here every year the weekend after the 4th of July. The Lake Association arranges their fireworks then because it's lots cheaper. Ember insists on sitting out on the deck with me to watch them over the trees. He loves the bangs! He runs back and forth, trying to find the best vantage point to watch.

The rest of the Pack cowers inside, clustered around hubby as their Rock of Safety. :D

This year we'll find out which group Brier belongs to--the Brave or the Yellow-bellied. :p

Frenchy
June 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Ember wants to come to your house for Canada Day fireworks, Frenchy.

ahem ... do you realize what you just posted ? I mean it's like saying I can legally adopt Ember :D :rolleyes: pack up the fuzzbutts, we taking a road trip :laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
ahem ... do you realize what you just posted ? I mean it's like saying I can legally adopt Ember :D :rolleyes: pack up the fuzzbutts, we taking a road trip :laughing:

Ember says you have to get him there by Canada Day or the deal's off. :dog:

Frenchy
June 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Ember says you have to get him there by Canada Day or the deal's off. :dog:

Hang on , we're coming http://bestsmileys.com/cars/11.gif

hazelrunpack
June 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Hang on , we're coming http://bestsmileys.com/cars/11.gif

:laughing: Love the dog-limo! I think that's big enough for all of them! :thumbs up

pags
June 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hmm... I'm sitting here in the middle of a thunderstorm and I saw this thread.... :)

Well -- obviously I don't bother unplugging the computers during thunderstorms. Generally - we don't unplug anything. We have lost modems, tvs, vcrs, stereos, coffee pots, alarm systems, and even a refrigerator to lightning in the past... But there's just NO WAY I'm gonna run around and unplug it all.

As for the computers (we have five) -- in my experience.... when lightning strikes -- the modems get fried (if there is an internal modem)... and therefore sort of act as a fuse. We end up replacing the modem and the rest of the computer is fine. As a matter of fact -- we haven't had need of a modem in over 5 years -- yet we always install an internal modem in our systems to act as a fuse in the event of lightning or power surges. :D

Stuff I won't do... I will not do anything near any source of water indoors. No dish washing... no cooking.. no bathing or showering.... OH goodness.. and no pottying. :p I'm sorry but I just keep running THAT scenario through my head... What a way to go!!!

While I'm thinking about this though -- I realize that I think we have some sort of disproportionate experience with lightning (Uh maybe it's where we live)... This house has been struck three times in as many years. My last house was struck seven times. The house of my teenage years was struck too many times to count... And my childhood home was struck at least three times. And they say it doesn't strike twice.. Puh!

poodletalk
June 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Frenchy,

In the Journal de Montreal today, they had a big article about dogs and Thunder storms.

Frenchy
June 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Frenchy,

In the Journal de Montreal today, they had a big article about dogs and Thunder storms.

But I don't read french :laughing:

just kidding :o I will ask a coworker to bring me a copy.

jesse's mommy
June 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
:o We don't do anything special during thunderstorms. We use the computer, clean the house, do whatever. I've taken showers before, but for the most part try to avoid that. Jesse doesn't do anything either except run from window to window barking at the "intruders" making noise outside.