Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

OSHAWA - Lost 1 Cat...Found 1 Cat

MomsWork
June 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
(FIRST PIC) To say the least, I'm getting frantic...My little grey cat is missing. She was born outside to a feral or stray mommy cat...I've taken her whole family in, the mommy & her four kittens and they have now lived with me for just over a year...after spending about 8 months gaining their trust..up @ 5am to be outside with them while I fed them, always staying close so they got use to me, leaving a back door open so they could come inside to explore and spending hours outside in the evening with them, buying cat toys, playing with them until finally, one by one, they came inside and finally decided it was ok to live her with me.

She is a small cat, about 5 or 6 pounds, she's a diluted tortie, mostly grey with orangy/cream patches through her, doesn't like to be picked up but tolerates it to make me happy...she is also a polydactyl so should be easily identifiable...I'm posting a pic also. She has been gone 5 days now.

(SECOND PIC) About a month or so ago, another cat started hanging around...a large brown tabby, about 12 - 14 pounds, very fluffy, persian like, legs & paws are mostly solid black, underbelly is light and the fur is curly....there is a long strip of solid black fur down his back and along his tail...he has yellow eyes. He is very loving BUT, when he's had enough, you will know it and I have the scars to prove it. He's not afraid of my dog, so I assume whoever owns him, owns a dog as well. But, he goes after my other cats (I have 6 others - minus ToeToes - plus 3 strays that come on a regular basis for love & food & occassionally come in for a nap) with a vengeance...he's viscious and they do not like him at all...he walks around like he owns the place. He does love to be cuddled though, even jumps on My lap for a nap and has slept with me. I don't want to keep him because of his behaviour...the cats in the neighbourhood have come to trust me and know they have a place to stay if needed and he chases them all away....if I can't find his owner (I've gone around with flyers everywhere I can think of) then I have to find him an owner...I will not send him to the Humane Society though, I can't stand the thought of him being locked in a cage and lord knows what else....if anyone is interested, let me know please or if anyone has any ideas or knows anyone, pls let me know....

thank you so much.....

Linda

badger
June 19th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Is the tortie spayed? I know five days seems like a loong time when a moggy is missing but don't lose hope. Have you put up posters in your neighbourhood; alerted the neighbours to watch out for her and check their sheds and outbuildings in case she's trapped somewhere; called your local shelter (or whichever group picks up strays); gone out late at night when it's dark and there's less noise, so you can hear her voice?

Sorry for phrasing above - just suggestions. So many of us have been there.

As for the guy who's creating problems, neutering him would help, if you can manage it. Intact males have their own code, including beating up any other cat (males, at least) in their 'territory'. Neutered, he would be much easier to handle and less of a threat to the others.

Yes, Chico reminded me, thank you for being such a good friend to the animals.

chico2
June 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Linda is a little beauty,I hope you find her,Badger gave you some good advice.
The Tabby-boy is gorgeous,I hope he calms down eventually,or that you can find him another home:fingerscr
Also thank you for loving and caring for all these lost little souls,:cat:

MomsWork
June 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Yes, ToeToes is spayed...when I took in her mom & babies, I took them all to the vet, they had everything done that needed doing....the other strays, that I feed and love that don't live me, I've also taken them to the vet, one at a time and had them neutered, dewormed and got flea drops for them all for over the summer (no, I'm not rich, far from it, lol)...what is a mystery to me, is that, the 3 toms I've taken in to be neutered are still agressive around SOME cats...like a little black one that I ALMOST caught this morning, a lady 2 blocks away is missing him and I almost had him but one of the toms came over and attacked him so bad, I was in tears but couldn't catch them and have no idea where the poor thing is hiding now.

We have gone to the shelters also and I've posted on every site I can think of and yes, as each day goes by, my heart pounds a little more....I have a horrible habit of thinking the worst...we have a huge field/ravine at the end of our street that i've also been down searching.

I can't stay up too late but the past 2 mornings, I've been up @ 4:30 am and out looking for them (that's how I spotted that lady's missing black cat, he came when I was putting some food out)...so I will continue my early morning hunting and pray that I find her and hopefully the little black kitty if he's not found his way home yet....

And you're right, if no one claims old grumpy, I will take him in and maybe, hopefully, someone will fall in love with him that has no other cats...

thank you for your replies, I will definitely post any news on them

Linda

badger
June 19th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Well, we'll be down that ravine with you at 4:30 am, with our fingers crossed.
I'm guess those three musketeers of yours were probably neutered late, Unfortunately, sometimes the behaviour persists. If you've got a hose in your hand when they go on the attack, drench them :D they actually do learn over time.

MomsWork
June 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
I am so sorry, I'm posting all over the place...I was so upset when first posting, now SHE'S BACK and I posted separately....this is unbelieveable, I've turned her upside down, inside out, checking every hair on her body and SHE'S FINE, hehehe....she's so hungry though and now, gone to the back bedroom to her favorite duvet.

And yes, Badger...I have a spray bottle I've been using on Grumpy face....when he goes into attack mode and then sees me, he turns and walks away, lol...as for the others, GREAT IDEA...I'm out early in the mornings just for the peace & quiet and to talk to all the little animals wandering about...I will take the spray bottle with me, I didn't even think about it...

THANK YOU AGAIN EVERYONE for your thoughts....

Linda :)

chico2
June 20th, 2007, 07:00 AM
I am sooo happy the little girl is back:thumbs up
Please keep us posted about the other kitties,I hope the lady got her kitty back and that she was not hurt.
A hose sometimes comes in handy if you have a cat-fight outside,sounds cruel,but the fight will end quickly:cat:

MomsWork
June 20th, 2007, 07:16 AM
I went out early this morning with some food, walked around, hoping the neighbours didn't see or hear Me at that hour, lol...all the other kitties came around but not the little black lost kitty. I wish I had the ladies' number, but it was My neighbour that said she was around the other day and I don't even know where she lives....

And no, I don't think the hose would be cruel, it won't hurt them but would make them scatter and stop the fight, for now anyway....I will keep you posted....

By the way, ToeToes has been a lap kitty since she came home and everything seems back to normal, hehe...I work from home and she's sound asleep on my desk on the little bed I made her :)

Linda

chico2
June 20th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Aww,I hope the little one is not hurt,cat-fights can get really nasty,I shudder when I hear any cats outside fighting,my own cats are never outside on their own.
Please keep us posted and as for the neighbors,mine think I am a nutcase for feeding"my"Crows:laughing:

mycozyhome
June 20th, 2007, 08:26 PM
What area of Oshawa are you in? I'm near the Civic Centre and I remember seeing a poster of a lost cat that looks like the one you posted. I will try to find the poster tomorrow and if it looks like him, I'll write down the info from the poster.

Christine

MomsWork
June 21st, 2007, 05:51 AM
Christine...I am in the King/Wilson area....I am off work today, maybe I'll put some posters outside My area...he definitely was not gone for long, looks clean & healthy, well fed and as mean as he can be with the other cats, he has quite the affectionate side when he wants it...loves to be in ur lap, being pet and being kissed all over his face & head, he loves that, hahaha.

Update on the black kitty that I thought belonged to the lady that came around looking....her cat came home Saturday night, so I don't know who this cat is...he was wearing a collar and I've not seen him since. And yes, this was quite the viscious fight, I could still here the poor thing screaming as they ran down through the backyards....I can just pray he's ok.

I actually have a few feeding stations around my house to try to avoid fights...my neighbours also put food out for the strays....I've never seen such a group of people as I have in this block that I live in...some have made temp homes under porches or at the sides of their houses for the kitties to sleep, they leave food out.....I have multiple bird feeders and squirrel feeders and I do leave scraps and cat food out for racoons...yes, I know, some people hate them, I don't....

Thank you again, Christine, if you find that, I will definitely give them a call, that would be wonderful if it was there's...he really is quite beautiful and I can't imagine someone isn't missing him...

happycats
June 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM
Awww I am so glad you found your baby!!

I'm moving to your neighbourhood (I'm in Oshawa too) many of my neighbours don't like cat's, and when I feed the strays they get mad at me:sad:

badger
June 21st, 2007, 08:28 AM
MomsWork, I like the sound of your neighbourhood! Is anyone trapping, spaying/neutering, then releasing? That would be the ultimate neighbourhood project and I bet you could find a vet to give you a big break on the cost.

mycozyhome
June 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM
I went to the place where the poster was and now it's gone. I'll drive around the neighborhood tonight to see if I can find another one!

Christine

MomsWork
June 21st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Thank you Happy Cats...yes, I know they get annoyed, what a shame...there is one neighbour who despises cats and is quite annoyed they've been in her garden...I've offered to find something organic that's safe for plants & pets but will keep cats away because I'm afraid she may do something to hurt them. She is friends with all of the cat lovers here...so, she'd better not, hehehe. And, welcome to the neighbourhood :) will be wonderful to have you here.

Badger...I'm the one that takes the cats to vets, (I've only ever had to trap one, the others all came to me and the one I trapped, I released her when ready & she was gone 2 weeks then one day, I opened my door and there she was, meowing and walked inside and has been here ever since...1 1/2 years now and she is my special baby) I've taken the 3 toms in the neighbourhood to be fixed and had their shots, I kept them in for a week, much to their dismay, lol....I did let them out when they were all ok again and I see them daily, early in the morning to feed them...in the winter, they do come & sleep here sometimes....my kids don't live at home anymore, so they live in the basement, I have many beds set up in cozy little spots, litters here and there and have about 5 feeding stations. I made contact with a group ACTION VOLUNTEERS...they loaned me the trap and helped me with the vet bills...it still cost a fortune, but, I don't give to any charities, I could use new furniture I admit...but, the babies need a home & food more.

MyCozy...you're a doll, thank you so much for doing that.

Now, I'd like to ask, is there a section here to offer cats to good homes? I ask because, as we speak, my neighbour's friend is bringing over his 2 year old male, fixed, declawed cat to me as he had an appt tomorrow to have him put down because his aging, ill mother is moving in with him and she's quite allergic....I really had some thinking to do when she asked me to take the cat, I have so much going now...but lord, what can you do. He's an indoor cat but I'd really like to make sure he goes to a good home, otherwise, I'm adding another one to my brood, lol

You guys have been wonderful, it's great to talk about all this with people who understand and aren't ready to call an institute to come & take u away...

Have a great night everyone...I'm going outside to wait for my new little one..

chico2
June 22nd, 2007, 07:06 AM
MomsWork,to me you are just simply a wonderful person:grouphug:

MomsWork
June 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Chico...I've not met everyone, in fact, hardly met anyone on here...but thank god for all of you here, making this group to help others, give advice, share and chat about our little friends...

AND GOOD NEWS....My sister is going to take this new little guy and you know, I've had him, not even 24 hours yet and I'm missing him already...he is one of the most affectionate cats I've ever come across.

My daughter is in school to become a vet technician, I pray one day she'll go for her vet's licence then I'll have all the vet services I need, LOL...My son has just finished his RMT course (registered massage therapist)....so, after a long day with the kitties, I can get a free massage too, lol

Have a wonderful day everyone :)

chico2
June 22nd, 2007, 04:17 PM
That's great news for that little kitty,beeing declawed(:evil: )he might have had trouble with your other kitties:cat:
If your sister is anything like you,he'll have a great life!