Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Adding another Male Dog to Family?

rosebury29
June 19th, 2007, 12:46 PM
We currently have an unaltered male Chocolate Labrador. He is now 21 months old and we've had him since he was 10 weeks old. He's very well tempered and loving, just hyper! We have children of all ages and a cat as well.
We are going to be adding a Doberman puppy to the family this summer. We'd like to get another male but worry that there will be dominance issues with the Doberman since our Lab is also male. I don't worry about our Lab as he is very submissive and friendly with all animals. Do you think it would be better to get a female or could a male work since he will be a puppy when we get him?
Thanks!

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2007, 12:56 PM
We've often had multiple males at the same time. Right now we have 2 English Setter males and will be adding another in a few days. Since the dobie will be a pup, and your labby is good with other dogs, you have a good chance for an easy transition. They'll work something out between them.

Typically, pups will defer to older dogs, even if the pup grows into a much larger dog than the original--I knew a Malamute/Collie x that was dominated by a Cocker/Poodle x that was only 1/9 his size but 9 years older. :D

If you are going to have any difficulty it will likely be when the pup reaches sexual maturity. When he gets to be 2 or 3, he may start challenging your older dog. Neutering would help prevent this. But I've known even unneutered males to get along quite amicably.

BusterBoo
June 19th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Harley (age 4 yrs old) was an only "dog" for 3 yrs and then last summer we brought Buster home! At the time, Buster was about 9 weeks old and I was concerned about having two males in the house.

We have had a few challenging days as the "boys" tried to figure out who was the alpha, but all is good now! Harley lets Buster "think" he is the tough one, but Harley will also put Buster in his place when and if necessary. It took them close to a yr to figure out the pecking order, but all is very good now!

btw....they finally figured out that I am the leader!! :laughing:

rosebury29
June 19th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks. I wonder if the Dobe puppy will become the alpha because of the dominant breed even though my Lab is a lot older than him? I'm scared to get a male home and have a nightmare of conflict and wish I had of took a female. I'd rather a male if possible though.

jessi76
June 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I think it would be best to get your lab neutered first, then consider adding a female (and get her spayed) to the family.

Odieandmaggiesd
June 19th, 2007, 01:53 PM
First you should have your Lab neutered...and when you get your dobi and he's old enough have him done too...

chances are your lab, from what you say will get along just great with your new pup...and down the road...I don't think you'll have any troubles...but I wouldn't give them both the run of the house when you're not there...

I have two Staffies (one male and one female) and I used to live with a friend who had a male ROtti...when we had all three dogs there was a clear pecking order...Odie was the first dog there...he ate first...Dayton (the rotti) was the biggest and the dumbest...and Maggie was the last one there...she was the boss..in her first two days at the house she put both dogs in their places...she was always very clear with her intentions...she's the boss and everything runs her way..Odie and her get along like they are in love...most all the time, they play and cuddle with each other...and from time to time...one will let the other know what on their mind...it never gets outta hand...just the odd growl...

Odie and Dayton used to love to play together...Odie would chase Dayton around all day :P

Maggie was more "tolerent" of Dayton, she wouldn't play with him and if he parked or something she would run up to him and get in his face...kinda like to let him know that she's watchin...I think what happened is she saw that we would tell him not to do certain things...like bark at passing people or chew on people's hands to say hello or jump up on people...and she would like "remind" him that he wasn't supposed to do that :P

I guess i veered off topic...sorry about that :P

Frenchy
June 19th, 2007, 06:47 PM
First you should have your Lab neutered...and when you get your dobi and he's old enough have him done too...

I second that ! And male / female, doesn't mater (as long as everybody is spayed/neutered) it depend on the dog. Males are not more dominant than females, you just have to choose the right dog / personality.

coppperbelle
June 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I have one male and one female and regularly a foster dog. My two are spayed/neutered and everyone gets along just fine.
The first thing you should do for numerous reasons is neuter your male lab. He will be happier and healthier. Then you won't have to worry about bringing a pup into the home no matter what sex you decide on.

rainbow
June 20th, 2007, 01:19 AM
I also think you should have your lab neutered first. Is there a reason you haven't done so yet? I have two male dogs that are six months apart and they both get along great. Our husky is the oldest and was neutered at five months and we got our yellow lab a month later.