Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New here

memyselfi
June 19th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Hello everyone. I'm sorry if I'm putting this in the wrong place, please bear with me.
Long story short, my husband found an orphaned/abandoned kitten. Looks to be 6-8 weeks old. I say orphaned or abandoned because I have seen no adult cats in my neighborhood.
Sadly, I am not able to keep her. Too bad, because she's just the sweetest thing. She is going to the Petco adoption fair on Saturday if I don't find a home for her, and I refuse to take her to a shelter.
The advice I need, is about her eyes. They're kind of runny, and other than to keep cleaning them off, I don't know what else to do. When I was at Petco, they flushed them with an opthamolgic (spelling??) solution and it seemed to help a little, but just wanted to know if there is anything else I should be doing.
Also she does not drink much water. She seems to be eating fine. I just want this little cat to have a chance.

Thanks, Judy

Winston
June 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Welcome! Has she seen a vet? It could be so many things?? It could be upper respiratory infection which is contagious?? Good Luck and thank you for saving this little one's life!!

Cindy

memyselfi
June 19th, 2007, 01:33 PM
No vet yet, I'm going today. She doesn't seem to have any respiratory problems, no coughing, sneezing or wheezing. Just looks like runny eyes. I'll probably get some medicine today. I will only have her until Saturday, I will definately miss this little one.
Can runny eyes progress into upper respiratory infection?
Also any advice on de-fleaing? When my husband first found her, I did a bath with baby shampoo, and pulled off a lot, but the ones I missed seemed to revive. I go through her with tweezers every now and again. I'm definately seeing fewer, but they're not gone yet... My husband says if I can get all the fleas off, he'll let me keep her.....I'm going to give it my best.

Thanks for your help

kiara
June 19th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Any cat that the public finds has to be taken to a vet. first, (especially if you have cats of your own), because cats that are abandoned usually carry all kinds of diseases. They should never be taken to any clinic unless they are in perfect health because they can contaminate all the other cats at the clinic. I don't know why you would not take it to a rescue? I am a rescuer and we take great care of them and make sure that they are kept clean and healthy and we also screen potential adoptors!

badger
June 19th, 2007, 04:59 PM
My husband says if I can get all the fleas off, he'll let me keep her.....I'm going to give it my best.

This is encouraging, because her fleas can be dealt with easily. If you haven't been to the vet yet, ask him about treatments. A tiny kitten would not be able to handle the drugs yet (I don't think) but I believe there's a flea bath you can use. Until she is completely flea-free (repeat fast ten times), keep her in one room, you don't want fleas getting in your carpets or in the bed :eek:. Which doesn't mean you can't visit!

She'll also need her vaccs and eventually to be spayed. Sorry, I'm leaping ahead here...:)

I agree that only healthy animals should be given up for adoption. If she has fleas and possibly parasites and, in addition, her eyes are weepy, she is not healthy. She's been through the wars and needs at least a few weeks to recover ;) Warning: by then she will be attached to your heart (and your husband's) with everlasting glue.

Tell your husband that with care and time, this little girl will be as clean as a whistle.

memyselfi
June 19th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for all the help. I'm also in the process of looking into a rescuer. The Petco adoption fair lady said the animals are treated, vaccinated and spayed/neutered when old enough, then put up for adoption. If I take her on Saturday, she is not going up for adoption the same day. I told her everything and they are willing to rehabilitate her. I don't have the money to devote to her, I really wish I did, and she deserves someone who does. Fortunately I don't have other pets, so no spreading any diseases. I'm keeping my kids away from her, and she is confined in one room. I do visit often, and I bring her out and she lays on my lap while I get the fleas that are left.
Me and my kids are already in love with her, but my husband not so much. He is one of those "animals belong outside" people.... I can't stand that. I'm not like that.
I don't think I can keep her. My place isn't really "pet friendly", SO MANY places to get behind, too much potential for getting out, because I don't have a screen door... etc.. I have to look at the bigger picture. This creature deserves to live in a home where the other owner does not have the potential of throwing her out because she has one flea. My husband already stated that.... "if I see one flea, she goes or you go". I just want to do the best thing, and I think the adoption fair or a rescue is best. Just in the meantime, she is here until Saturday. Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it.