Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pup has decided to be finicky...

whitbit317
June 19th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I brought home a new miniature daschund on Saturday, and the breeder told me she had been eating eukanuba small breed puppy food(dry) and gave me a supply that was supposed to last three days. Well, she's barely touched it at all, I'm beginning to think the breeder lied. At this point I'm all-around dissatisfied with them, but thats another story. Last night I added some water to the food, even though she's had no trouble chewing up the dry, and she did a little better when i held it in my hand up to her face. I can't do that every day, and I'm worried that she's going to start losing weight. This morning I was feeding my older doxie outside, he's on wet food, and she went crazy for it. I'm scared if I feed her wet though that she'll get runny stool. Any suggestions?

Hunter's_owner
June 19th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I would suggest slowly switching to something else entirely. IMO Eukanuba isn't one of the better choices. There are plenty of suggestions in the Food Forum here if you wanted to take a look:thumbs up

jessi76
June 19th, 2007, 09:58 AM
puppies need time to adjust to their new family, new routine, new scents, new home, new everything... so a little appetite loss isn't that unusual.

I agree to gradually switch to a better food, but it must be done slowly, by adding a little at a time to the current brand of food.

when my dog was a pup I often "tricked" him into eating breakfast by filling toys w/ kibble, toys like a puppy KONG. this way he played, satisfied his need to chew and curiousity, and got some food at the same time.

wet food shouldn't result in runny stool... a sudden change in food will do that. I really like Merrick brand canned food, and they make a great puppy one (Puppy Plate). adding a small bit to mix w/ the kibble may be a good idea to entice the little one to eat a bit more.

other than that, a trip to your vet for a check up may be the best idea.

how old is this new pup?

whitbit317
June 19th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the quick replies!

She's 12 weeks. If I wet the food down and hold it in front of her face she'll eat some of it, but it's just time consuming. I figured it was just the whole new home, and stuff causing her to not be that hungry, but she went crazy last night while I was eating dinner, you would have thought she hadn't eaten in three weeks! lol. Then this morning she did the same thing over my older dogs wet food. I took her to the vet yesterday and he said everything looked good. She's got good teeth and is perfectly capable of eating the dry food, she's just not doing it.

Thanks for the advice though, i'll have to try some of your suggestions!

jessi76
June 19th, 2007, 10:19 AM
ahhhhh! at 12 wks my dog sometimes decided to "hold out" for something better.... I set times for meals, allowed 20-30 min for him to eat, after that, the dish got picked up, whether he ate it or not. eventually he realized he'd better eat what was served and when it was served - granted, I did ablige by providing a better kibble and bit of quality canned food, but I did not hand feed him or cater to him in any other way. as long as the dog IS eating, and checks out fine at the vet (as your new one just did) I say the pup probably just needs time to settle in - settle into a routine, your home, and the food schedule.

you may want to feed them in seperate areas, so the pup doesn't learn to prefer the older dog's food. Puppy food provides some much needed calories.

post some pics if you can, we'd love to see the little one!

whitbit317
June 19th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Thanks...I'll just try and giver her some more time...she's already becoming spoiled, and we can't have that lol ;)

The older dog is fed outside, and today she followed me to the glass door and threw a cow cause she slipped out and grabbed a bite of his food.

My digi cam is on the fritz right now, so the only pictures I have of her are on my phone. I'm hoping to get some of her soon though and as soon as I can I'll be sure to put them up. I have a few pics of my old man and my birds in the pictures section already though. She's the spitting image of him...just much tinier.

Thanks again for all your advice!!

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM
This is strange. I expect perhaps the breeder was feeding wet food - but still I have never met a Dachshund who would turn down any form of food. Certainly they have their favourite food items - mine could pick them out from an assortment - but anything else would work as an "extra". And while Dachshunds can be very stubborn - it is not usually about food (unless having to eat canned C/D as a result of having stones - and who could blame a guy). My guys all had stomachs of iron but at 12 weeks you will have to be careful. Perhaps get samples of a few brands.

clm
June 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Our breeder puts her puppies on Iams puppy kibble :yuck: I started changing Baxter over to Orijen puppy as soon as I got him home, he was only 8 weeks old and hadn't been on the Iams very long. By day 3 he was picking out the Orijen and leaving the Iams, so I started adding a spoonful of the Wellness 95% venison, then beef, salmon, chicken and turkey to his kibble. He never had an issue with loose stools and is the best keeshond puppy I've had for eating. He's now up to 1/2 can of wet mixed in with his kibble in the morning and another 1/2 can in the evening with his kibble. I hope Bentley will be the same when I get him later on this month.

Cindy

whitbit317
June 20th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Well...this morning I thought I could trick Cheyanne into eating her dry food by drizzling some gravy from the wet onto it. I should have known she was too smart for this little trick. She ate the gravy and one or two bites of her dry. I'm really starting to kind of worry because she's tiny as it is and I just cannot get her to eat the food. I'm leary about putting her on wet food because I don't want to have to clean up any loose stool accidents. I made the mistake of buying a 3.5 pound bag of eukanuba because I figured she'd eat it just fine and the sample was only supposed to last three days. It's been 5 and we still have a quarter of the sample bag left. I'm considering switching her over anyways since Eukanuba's not the best food, but I'm hoping to call the company and see if I can get them to refund me or let me take it back since it's supposed to be guarenteed. Any good suggestions on food? I'm in Tx so some of the Canadian stuff might not be available here.

hazelrunpack
June 20th, 2007, 01:39 PM
You should be able to find a better food, even in TX... :eek: :o Sorry...didn't mean to make it sound like TX is the hinterland...:laughing: but most of the same brands available in Canada are also available in the states. Call around to some of the petfood places near you and see what they have available. In the food forum, you'll find plenty of links helpful in deciding what's a good food and what might be right for your fur baby :thumbs up

Meanwhile, try mixing in a little plain yogurt (no artificial sweeteners) with your pups kibble. I think it reminds them of mother's milk...usually they can't get enough! Mix a teaspoon or two in thoroughly until all the nuggets are coated so she has to eat the food to get the yogurt! :fingerscr