Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Results of Taki's pregnancy t.........

firecat998
June 19th, 2007, 04:12 AM
Well the results are in Taki is pregnant she about month on but the vet couldn't tell how many shes having.If anyone has infomation on how to take care of a queen whilst pregnant,nursing and also if we are around giving birth.Ive put a photo on of her took last weekend (before we knew she was pregnant)We expecting them around the 16-19 of July
Thanks
Nikki

SableCollie
June 19th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Here are a few sites that may be helpful, your vet should also be able to answer any questions you have.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/PregnancyInCats.htm

http://www.petcaretips.net/pregnant_cat.html

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/helping_your_cat_deliver_kittens

http://cats.suite101.com/article.cfm/caring_for_newborn_kittens

And in case there are any problems (hopefully not!), info on hand raising kittens:
http://www.messybeast.com/handrear.htm

The mother can be spayed after the kittens are weaned and her milk has dried up. Please make sure to screen people before giving them kittens, and have them promise to spay/neuter the kittens by 7 months of age.

mummummum
June 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Excellent post Sablecollie. I'm thinking we should make this a "Sticky"

CyberKitten
June 19th, 2007, 08:05 PM
The best site is the Cat Pregnancy Site but do you really want her to deliver these kittens? Is she a purebred champion? If so, congratulations! If not, with all due respect why do you want to put your cat through this. I have a Siamese who is a Show Quality kitty but I made the decision to have her spayed simply because it is best for her health and I do not want to contribute to the overpopulation of kitten season - which is getting worse it seems in part due to of all things global warming. More good weather = more mating!!

So while I have lots of info I can share with you on caring for Queens and newborn kittens - and believe me, it is no picnic - you must have the vet on speed dial and what will you do if she needs a C section? Is this her first litter? How will you care for the kittens who do not get enough milk - are you prepared with heated blankets and KMR and other necessities? Can you handle an emergency if it happens. I can and have and thus, I refuse to put my beloved cat through this.

I know you love your cat but IF she is not being bred for reasons of improving the breed - ie, she has won at least 3 or so Championships and is highly rated and her kittens are already registered and you have a mentor - I would seriously consider seeking out a vet to have her spayed, even while pregnant. That is often a good solution and cats do not think of it in the same way we humans do on an ethical basis. Please do not take this the wrong way - I just think if you are new to this (and I have no way of knowing if you have a mentor and you are showing her and she has ben registered and deemed show quality), - you need a lot of help and your cat's health is the most important variable here.

Good luck in whatever you decide. Here are the sites I recommend:

http://www.cat-pregnancy-report.com/
http://www.kittenrescue.org/handbook.htm

erykah1310
June 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
Please take the time to read this thread.... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=33051&highlight=expect
just to be aware that it "CAN" happen to you too.

Thats all I have to offer right now.

SableCollie
June 19th, 2007, 08:48 PM
I would seriously consider seeking out a vet to have her spayed, even while pregnant.
Yes, we have this done a lot with stray cats that come in pregnant. However most vets won't do this unless it is fairly early on in the pregnancy, this cat is due in 4 weeks, it would depend on whether their vet is comfortable performing the procedure this late in the pregnancy. I know a lot of people are not comfortable with this option also (although you really must take into consideration the fact that cats that are already born are dying for lack of homes!). If they decide to let the cat go through the pregnancy, it is extremely important to be informed, have the vet on call, and make sure the mother and all kittens get spayed or neutered!

CyberKitten
June 19th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I scanned the first msg and did not see she was that close but there are vets (mine included) who would argue it is prob safer for this cat to be spayed than to go through pregnancy unless her "owner" is well informed, has a vet on speed dial, is prepared to handle the emergencies and can cope with baby kittens- some may need to be hand fed (and I have gone thru that too often with rescued bottle babies!!) and of course caring for kittens who a mom may not accept is a serious prob. Most feline moms are wonderful but they do need help and they need you there. Yes, cats do it in the wild but they do not live long that way either.

If you are prepared to go through all that and then care for the kittens and then search for good homes (No Free to good homes ads permitted -too many bad people out there, alas!), and have a written contract that says you will take back the kitten if something happens and the kittens are spayed or neutered - among other variables, no declawing, no breeding, etc, - there are sample contracts available- we have one at Siamese rescue) , then I suppose one could do it - but there are so many needy kittens now being killed day in and day out that I cannot in good conscience condone willingly bringing into the world more kittens.

While I realize people may be unaware of the overpopulation problem, this is what I think of when I hear of someone allowing a cat to have kittens and anyone who willingly permits a cat or dog to deliver babies must see this video - warning, it is not for the squeamish and it is very sad but then so it overpopulation of cats and kittens who die needlessly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBz2gjlEfA&mode=related&search=#

firecat998
June 21st, 2007, 04:09 AM
hello,
thanks for the links.Why does everyone have to be so negative i know that people are just making me aware of what can happen so iam prepared but why does everyone have to be so negative.Taki will be getting spayed when shes had them and i will be selling the kittens not giving them away,i want them all to go to good homes as much as everyone does.
thanks again for the links
Nikki

chico2
June 21st, 2007, 06:56 AM
Firecat,the reason for negativity is not because we don't all LOVE kittens/cats and we certainly hope your little mama will do fine.
I don't know about England,but here we have shelters full of unwanted cats/kittens,thousands die every day and we strongly support spay/neuter.
I have seen "Vets in practice"which I believe is an English show and am always surprised vets on the show never promote spay/neuter:confused:

sugarcatmom
June 21st, 2007, 11:02 AM
hello,
thanks for the links.Why does everyone have to be so negative i know that people are just making me aware of what can happen so iam prepared but why does everyone have to be so negative.Taki will be getting spayed when shes had them and i will be selling the kittens not giving them away,i want them all to go to good homes as much as everyone does.
thanks again for the links
Nikki

Speaking for myself, it's really hard to be positive about cats and dogs reproducing willy-nilly when there's such a huge overpopulation of unwanted pets here in North America. Did you know that in the United States alone, MILLIONS of animals are euthanized every year because there aren't enough homes for them? I just heard on the local news that the Humane Society in my city is bursting at the seams with 384 cats and 60 dogs, and they now have to euthanize any animal that doesn't find a home within 7 days. That's just one shelter, there are many more here. Repeat that over and over again with all the other cities on this continent, and you can see why I find it thoroughly depressing to hear of any animal getting pregnant. I do wish your cat the best and pray that you actually do find homes for all her kittens (perhaps in the UK it's not such a problem, I have no idea), but for me to be happy for you in this situation, not gonna happen.

Frenchy
June 21st, 2007, 11:09 AM
Same here sugarcatmom , too many of them getting euthanize , can't be happy about others coming into this already overcrowded pet world. :shrug:

happycats
June 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
I don't think the answers are "negative" they are realistic:sad:
It's very difficult to sugar-coat the fact that there is a HUGE PET OVERPOPULATION going on, and although YOU may want to turn a blind eye to the problem, many here are buried very deep (fosters, rescues, shelters) in the mess, owners like like yourself keep making.

How many years has Bob Barker told the world "control the pet population, please have your pet spayed or neutered" and unfortunately people still don't get it!!:rolleyes:

luckypenny
June 21st, 2007, 12:58 PM
Firecat998, I hope your cat and her kittens will be alright and that they have a loving safe future ahead of them. The links already provided to you should help.

As for the negativity, when you have a bit of time, please take a look at this site and you'll understand where many members come from. http://www.idausa.org/facts/overpopulation.html It's difficult to be enthusiastic when you're aware of the facts.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2007, 02:21 PM
Speaking for myself, I was resptful and attempting to be helpful and not negative. I worry about so many cats - even in Britain - who need homes and why anyone would bring new lives into the world when there are millions who need them now. You will competing with all of that. I know you love your cat - I just wanted to be helpful. If you see it as negative, there is little I can do to change your perspective. I just think your cat's health is the most important issue here!

I do wish you and your kitty luck!!!

coppperbelle
June 21st, 2007, 08:45 PM
I read all the posts and honestly didn't see anyone be negative. What I did see was a lot of common sense solutions. The trust is this world is full of kittens and cats that are being euthanized every day because there are more of them than available homes. By breeding your cat you are taking away a potential home for a kitten in a shelter or with a rescue group. Basically if your cat has 3 kittens it means death to 3 in a shelter. That is harsh I know but the reality of the situation.
So yes some of the answers may not have been to your liking but they are reality.

LittleMissLevi
June 22nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
Sorry guys I agree with spaying/neutering your animals but I don't agree with spaying them while they are already pregnant. The risk of the procedure is just too high when compared to the complications of natural birth. There wouldn't be so many animals for adoption if birth was as difficult as you all put it. With the cat being 4 weeks to due date the risk is huge, my question would be would you ever abort a human baby over 3 months...the answer is no unless there is something very wrong with the baby or great risk to the mother. Animals in this sense are no different than humans and the same ideas should be applied.
In this sense I can see where she might think you guys are being a little negative. She is just worried about Taki and we should be supportive of her questions on making Taki's pregnancy as easy as possible but informative about what to do after, education is the key. The damage of the pregnancy is already there.:sorry:

Love4himies
June 22nd, 2007, 06:48 AM
firecat988,

Glad to hear you are getting Taki spayed right after she has her kittens:thumbs up ! Please keep us posted on Taki's condition and post some pictures of the kittens if you can.

Sorry I can't offer you any advice on caring for her as I have never allowed my kitties to get pregnant.

firecat998
June 22nd, 2007, 11:46 AM
Hiya
I am aware of cats/kittens in shelters but is not as bad over here in england.These kittens will all get good homes i will make sure of it iam keeping one myself and my sister in law is taking one as well,we will be selling the kittens not giving them away not for the money because if the people buy them theres more chance of them being looked after than if they got them for free.I understand that you's are just looking out for Taki,i love my cat very much and i just want the best for her.That was the hole point of me asking for help and advice on pregnant cats and newborn kittens.I admit i was a bit hatsy in say that you's were negative i relise that you just wanted me to go into this with my eyes open.
Nikki