Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kennel cough from Woofstock?

One Beagle Girl
June 19th, 2007, 12:47 AM
:sad: Parker has kennel cough. He had coughed a few times on Saturday, and more often on Sunday. Now his coughs sounds awful. The vet can give him a cough suppressant, but I don't really want to do that unless it starts to get worse.

The worst thing is, he might have picked it up at Woofstock. The incubation period after exposure is 8 to 10 days, so it's the right timeframe. Also, we didn't go to a dog park that weekend.

I know that normally KC clears up on it's own, and that it's really common etc., but I'm still so worried about him. He's actually handling it really well for now (he can be a bit of a drama king when he's sick). He's been coughing and sleeping a lot.

I'd like to know if anyone else's dog has developed KC since being to Woofstock. And maybe get some reassurance that my hairy son will be okay. :sad:

mummummum
June 19th, 2007, 02:05 AM
:sorry: poor Parker. Declan is fine ~ we were there on Saturday.

papillonmama
June 19th, 2007, 09:26 AM
That's really sad, poor Parker, I hope he recovers quickly.

Dory and I were there Saturday and she is fine as well.

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
Didn't go to Woodstock, but we live in Toronto and last Thurs. night (14th) our Eskimo started hacking and continued throughout the night - full body coughs with longest break being 1/2 hour. Although he does receive the KC shot yearly, I do understand it won't protect against all strains. Sure he was at socialization on the 7th and was groomed on the 9th - but then he also went for a walk and passed other dogs on the street so who knows? A dog walker I know told me that she knows a few dogs who have come down with it during the past week. I am glad your dog is sleeping - mine couldn't - and of course either did we. We were at vet's on the Friday morning - a bit too soon really for trachea to be inflamed etc. but in 1976 we adopted a 7 year old Beagle from the Humane Society - he wasn't in the best of shape - and on day 3 came down with an extreme case of KC - we didn't even know what it was. In those days there were no treatment options - vaccines, suppressants or antibiotics etc. He almost died from it - so I took action immediately - figuring it was KC or congestive heart failure - or - and it is common - a piece of grass or even his own cat-like fur up his nose that wouldn't "cough out". We were prescribed cough suppressants and they are working wonderfully - he is on Butorphenol - 1 mg - with dosage being 1/2 to 1 pill every 8 - 12 hours, as needed. We have mostly dosed him at night. Symptoms are quickly disappearing - but when he gets excited at a noise outside he has to bark and then starts coughing. I love these pills - probably because I am allergic to antihistamines, decongjestants - you name it and I also have a bad cold. So my husband took his Tylenol Cold tablet, Eskie took his KC bill - and I had a Fisherman's Friend. Guess who still is hacking away - me! I have been eyeing Elmo's pills wondering how I would react. If Elmo started to show signs of green nasal discharge he would have been put on antibiotics. Or if no signs of cough abating by today they would have wanted to go searching for another problem - although grass up nose could affect breathing. Hope your pup feels better soon.

Winston
June 19th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I was at Woofstock with the German Shepherd rescue and have not heard of any sick doggies! I hope your baby is better soon!

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2007, 02:15 PM
:grouphug: I hope Parker is feeling better soon! KC is no fun... :sad:

One Beagle Girl
June 19th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the good thoughts everyone. Thankfully he seems to have a mild case of it, and the homeopathic cough stuff I got for him really seems to work (drosera C6).

Snowdancer, I had to laugh because I can't take allergy or cold medicine either, and I know the next time I get a cold I'll try the stuff I got for Parker. :p That's such a sad story about your beagle, and poor Elmo sounds like he's got a doozy of a case of KC. I guess it just goes around from time to time. I just worry so much when he's sick. He's coughing less today, basically when he tries to play, or gets too excited. As you said, he's lucky he can sleep without coughing.

I'm relieved that no other pups who went to Woofstock seem to have it. As they said at my vets office - that would be a mess!

:o

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2007, 06:18 PM
Yep, there is definitely something that causes increased coughing when pups want to play and of course "supervise" the goings on outside. It doesn't help that the tennis court in the small park across the street has been taken over by the City and is now offering lessons etc. Vans are illegally parked all day and the park fence isn't high enough so tennis balls are hitting our little bungalow's lawn all day lawn - with Elmo watching from window and having to bark. I just had a coughing fit and of course was eyeing Elmo's meds. I have tried prdducts from health food store in past - I have the same reaction - so no hope for me. One would think that one would built up a natural tolerance but it hasn't happened.

BMDLuver
June 19th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Just as an aside... but if you are taking your dog where there are a bunch of other unknown dogs like woofstock or a dog park, then shouldn't the dog be vaccinated against Kennel Cough then this would be a mute point. No offense intended, just thought I should point this out. :thumbs up

One Beagle Girl
June 19th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Just as an aside... but if you are taking your dog where there are a bunch of other unknown dogs like woofstock or a dog park, then shouldn't the dog be vaccinated against Kennel Cough then this would be a mute point. No offense intended, just thought I should point this out. :thumbs up

:sad: he was vaccinated for it in February.

Oh, and no offense taken, you have a valid point!

hazelrunpack
June 19th, 2007, 09:16 PM
All our dogs are vaccinated routinely for KC and they still come down with it occasionally. Like the human cold, there are dozens of varieties. The vaccination only works against maybe 4 of the most common ones.

Of course, if one dog picks it up, they all get it. :frustrated: There's nothing quite like 6 dogs all hacking and miserable at once... :rolleyes: We've been lucky, though, so far this year :fingerscr No kennel cough!

BMDLuver
June 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
:sad: he was vaccinated for it in February.

Oh, and no offense taken, you have a valid point!

So then it's a good thing he was vaccinated. Makes it much more manageable (sp). I know our dogs are repeatedly exposed to it due to shelter dogs coming in so I no longer even get a snuff. Most likely with him getting a round, his immunity will now be higher. :)

hazelrunpack
June 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM
So then it's a good thing he was vaccinated. Makes it much more manageable (sp). I know our dogs are repeatedly exposed to it due to shelter dogs coming in so I no longer even get a snuff. Most likely with him getting a round, his immunity will now be higher. :)

:fingerscr I hope you're right about that immunity thing, BMDLuver! We've had a couple of bouts of KC a year since we expanded to 6 in 2004 and it's wicked! :eek: It would be nice if my little woosses would develop an immunity to something! :p Now I have a little hope :fingerscr :D

muckypup
June 21st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Your dog can get Canine Cough anywhere there is or has been other dogs even if they are vaccinated against it.
A couple years ago I think one of my dogs got it after being in a kennel. He was vaccinated for it and it was required in order to stay at the kennel. When he came home for three days in a row he woke up very early in the morning coughing. He only coughed for a while in the early morning and after about three days it was gone. I believe he got it because he has a weak immune system but I also think he fought it off on his own so quickly because he had the vaccine.
Hope your pupper feels better soon!