Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

smelly shihtzu 11 years old

simbasmom
June 18th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Our dog is on med-cal hypoallergy food which is a g-d send.no more ear infections. he is 11 years and does not get anything else but his hypo food. he stinks,and we are told to only bath him once a month. does anyone know what causes this.?????

angeldogs
June 19th, 2007, 04:52 AM
We bath our shih tzu a couple times a month or as need.she's 8 years old.and use a puppy shampoo.

simbasmom
June 19th, 2007, 04:45 PM
[QUOTE=angeldogs;440982]We bath our shih tzu a couple times a month or as need.she's 8 years old.and use a puppy shampoo.[/QUOTE
We were told not to bath any dog more than twice a month and he has a skin rash always on his paws so we try to let the natural oils come through but his body smells always ???:sad:

Dr Lee
June 19th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Simba's mom,

I am glad that you are asking this question - too many times vets hear about a smelly dog that is just dismissed as 'smelly'. Usually there are underyling issues.

What causes malodor in pets? You already ruled out one of the most common which is ear infections. The next most common is dental disease however with an allergy dog - I usually look further beyond the teeth for other possible causes of smell. Overly full anal sacs or infected anal sacs can cause small, consistent leakage leading to malodor. Metabolic and endocrine diseases can cause generalized smell such as kidney disease. Finally (in the most common list) is going to be generalized skin infection. Some superficial infection or accumulation of yeast (common with allergy dogs) can cause generalized malodor. These infections often go unidentified if the skin does NOT have a deep skin infection with the typical redness and pustules. You may want to consult your veterinarian on looking deeper into the potential cause of smell.

If you want to try something at home - consider an antifungal shampoo (or alternatively use white vinegar) to help kill any yeast present. If this works but the smell keeps coming back - I would consider that the new food has taken you guys a long way but perhaps some further allergy control may be needed.

Finally - on the, "don't bathe your dog too much". This comes from the fact that long ago, soaps and shampoos for both dogs and people were much too hard and got rid of the natural oils in the skin and hair. As a result, frequent bathing led to dryness which in dogs and cats lead to some uncomfortable skin! With the advent of less harsh, conditioning shampoos - you can bath your pet more often. One of my clients actually takes a shower with his dog every day - they both use Pert Plus and both have nice hair coats;) . I am not recommending Pert Plus for for any allergy dog! but if you are trying to combat a possible low grade bacterial or yeast skin infection, more frequent bathing with an appropriate shampoo may be beneficial.

Each case is different, so I have stated some generalities. Here are some questions that may help us identify the smell. How are his teeth? Has recent blood work been done? Have you asked your vet about the smell? How are his glands? Do you have pictures? Can you better localized the smell? Is it worse in any particular area???

I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes!

angeldogs
June 20th, 2007, 02:04 AM
We use the puppy shampoo because it's mild.our girl is the only one still alive out of her father and siblings.our vet was also their vet.they all got a skin disease that shih tzu's can getfrom what the vet say's.she fiqures ours didn't get it because of a good diet and mild shampoo.who knows just what the vet say's.and for the bathing.i have a dirt back yard so it calls for more baths.

simbasmom
June 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
We do take our shihtzu regularly to the vet. he has gave him (dog) a needle and pills and his anal glands are cleaned every month.his teeth are good and all blood work negative. so he does have always a leg and paw crusty skin disorder,we try to use all the medicine our vet gives us and it does help the legs and paws. but after a bath in only vet shampoo the next day he smells again like a dirty sock. thankyou for all your help ,much appreciated.audrey