Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A little help with my new pup.

whitbit317
June 18th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Saturday I bought a 12 week old dachshund puppy. She did really well the first night but things were quite a bit rougher last night. I take her out periodically and she is usually pretty good about peeing, but I've only been able to get her to poop outside once. The first night she didn't wet or poop in her kennel, but last night she did both. That's partly my fault cause I thought she was just wanting out and I didn't take her out. After I smelt that she had wet in her kennel I took her outside, but when I got back in she thought it was time to play. As far as I know, she never went back to sleep and that was at 4:30 this morning. She whined from the moment I put her in the kennel until I got up at 8 this morning. I ignored her because I didn't want to reinforce the whining. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do to make this a bit easier on her? I'm not too worried about the house breaking, she's had a few accidents inside, but she's pretty good about waiting to go out. I don't want her to begin using the crate to relieve herself in though. I don't plan on her sleeping in the crate once she's fully house broken.

And one more thing, sorry this is so long. I already own a 7yr old doxie, and he's really not pleased with her. He hasn't been aggressive, but just doesn't like her much at al. Should I just try and keep them seperated, because I really don't want him to become aggressive. I guess it's just a matter of time until she realizes he's the top dog and isn't playful. He still plays with me and the rest of the family, he's just not fond of the little one being around. I'd say he's quite jealous lol.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

SnowDancer
June 18th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I typed out a long reply - too long - my time elapsed and the site logged me out! My Dachshunds were not crate trained - but sure wanted into our bed - and of course we gave in. I expect you will as well.

What concerns me is that your older guy does not care for your new pup - although some sibling rivalry is to be expected, especially with a terrier breed such as a Dachshund. I would absolutely ensure that the dogs are separated when you are not home and when you are home that you keep a close watch for older guy going to pup's neck - very hard to break that grip. You will need to monitor the personality of your new pup. Even if she appears to be less dominant now and during say the next year, that could change - say at the 1 1/2 year mark - this is when it happened with 2 of mine. Both same age, one clearly the acknowledge, benevolent Alpha until that fateful day when out of the blue, the Beta (alpha want-to-be) - I called him a Beta Bully tried to kill his brother - and it was hell from then on. Our Alpha didn't want to hurt his brother either. I hope that this does not happen with you, but please be careful. Glad to hear that your 7 year old has not experienced back problems. I am a super expert on Dachshund neck/back disease - something I would prefer to know nothing about.

whitbit317
June 18th, 2007, 08:45 PM
What concerns me is that your older guy does not care for your new pup - although some sibling rivalry is to be expected, especially with a terrier breed such as a Dachshund. I would absolutely ensure that the dogs are separated when you are not home and when you are home that you keep a close watch for older guy going to pup's neck - very hard to break that grip.

I've been watching them very closely, and they are never alone together, but I really thought I had nothing to worry about. Tonight he nipped at her, but there was food involved. I was eating and she wanted to sit by my feet, and that's his spot, and this time he wasn't willing to give it up. We've never had trouble when we got other dogs, but I've never added a new one this young. I'll definately have to keep a close eye on him. Thanks for the warning, I really thought I had no reason to worry about it at all....:shrug:

SnowDancer
June 19th, 2007, 11:26 AM
Hopefully things will settle down. We only ever had the one problem with Billy the want-to-be Alpha (who wasn't). So were really shocked when this happened. I think that as your pup grows in size it will help to some extent. Dachshunds are prey motivated and well I am sure you have seen a new born Dachshund, before ears flog down etc. - I thought I was looking at a mouse. That would have scared me having adult Dachshunds and cats. But 12 weeks should be looking better and 4 months even more so. None of mine were girls but hopefully she won't want to be the boss as she gets holder. And, yes, where food is involved they become territorial. Although, funnily enough, our Alphas were more than happy to allow his siblings to share "our" plates when given to clean up - but not a chance would they go near their dog food dishes. It was a good thing I think that our Alphas were not here at same time - they were first and last. Very much alike though physically and in termperament and how I miss them. Our Eskimo is a Dachshund want-to-be.