Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Decision on toilet training

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
After much thought, and many thanks to a link posted by CyberKitten, I've decided not to toilet train my little ones. I honestly thought that doing this would actually be better for them, but as I read in the article, it makes more sense to allow them to continue using their litter box.

It made some valid points I hadn't even thought of!

Thank you CK, I really appreciate your help on that.

I do have one question though, for those of you who have two cats.

I'm currently using just the one box for both my kittens. I haven't had a problem as of yet. Since Vlad was my first, he seems to also like being the first to use the litter after I clean it. I guess its his way of claiming it, but he's got no problem letting Oksana use it. As a matter of fact, she's still not learned to completely cover her poop, so he always comes in after her and finishes covering it up for her. (Despite his little scuffles with her, I really think he adores her.)

Anyway, I'm going to be moving in August to a loft apartment. I'll have a full bath upstairs and a half bath down. I'm thinking of getting another box and just putting one in each bathroom.

Is this overkill? I'm guessing two cats, two boxes.

krdahmer
June 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Actually I believe it's 'one more litter box than the cats you have'. I have six, and use 2 giant rubbermaid (supposed to be for storing wrapping paper or something- they also get used the most), a booda (rounded covered box- the large size) and a large covered box. I had 7 smaller boxes, but found it a LOT of extra work and the cats all seemed to gravitate towards only two or three of them anyhow. Since switching it's a lot easier on me and the kitties don't seem to have a problem with the new arrangement so I guess the rule of thumb would be what ever works for yours. If they are happy to share now, thats great...and (I think they are still kittens right?) if they get uncomfortable with it as they grow, they'll let ya know (pee outside, poop on the floor:rolleyes: ) and then just add another box.

Did you say you had a littermaid? How does that work? What happens if they pee in a corner and its stuck to the side? (My dream is to have 4-5 of those on the go!):D Ah the land of no poop to scoop... how sweet that would be!

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Ah thanks for that. I haven't seen my new place yet, but I'm guessing two will be the most I can have that's out of sight and private enough for them. They still are kittens, but growing by the day it seems. I might just get them two. That way they will have one upstairs and one down.

The litter maid I have is the 500 model, which is the smallest in size, but I have to say it works pretty well. My only complaint, is it starts to work too soon. It only gives the litter 10 minutes to clump, which sometimes isn't long enough, so I still have to scoop now and then, but for the most part it works very well.

I haven't had any problem with peeing on the side. Vlad is pretty damned neat about peeing, and so is Oksana. The only thing I would recommend, and I have to do this myself when I have the $$, is to get a cover. I don't know about your cats, but Vlad loves playing in the litter. And when he starts digging and making room for his business, he does it with great gusto, so I have litter scattered all over the bathroom floor! It's like he's digging a 6 foot hole!

jessi76
June 18th, 2007, 02:43 PM
I have 2 cats, and 2 litterboxes. the regular litter boxes (not automated or anything, and not super huge rubbermaid containers) just simple, run of the mill, normal sized litterboxes. I put a piece of scrap carpet under the boxes, to catch litter that gets thrown out and both boxes are right next to each other in a corner of my laundry room.

I can honestly say, I've never had a problem with 2 boxes and 2 cats. an additional box is a good idea, but I don't feel it's mandatory, just as long as each cat does have his/her own spot, which is cleaned often. (either automated or not)

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2007, 02:54 PM
My litter maid actually doesn't take up any more room than a regular litter box actually. It's the really bigger models that do. I like having it because I know that at least while I'm gone during the day their box is being cleaned on a regular basis and they aren't stepping on their poop.

I do like the idea of having two boxes though. It hasn't been a problem up to now, but for their own convenience once I move, I think I'd like to have one downstairs and one upstairs. I know if I had only one bathroom I'd hate to have to run upstairs or downstairs every time I had to go to use it.

chico2
June 18th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I have 3 cats and 2 large rubbermaid boxes,it's working fine.
My cats are used to going downstairs to do their stuff,so maybe it would be easier for you just to have 2 boxes downstairs.
IMO,covered boxes expose the cats to too much dust,it's only good for the owner.
I don't think it's a big deal to sweep up the litter on the floor,seeing it's my downstairs bathroom,the kitty-bathroom:)

CyberKitten
June 18th, 2007, 04:57 PM
I am so happy to hear of your decision - thank you!! I am sure your cats will be most happy with their litter boxes!! The rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one but as has been noted, that does not always have to be the case. I would get one for each cat though and see how that works out. Once Oksana gets used to covering her stuff (It may mean she does not feel at all threatened by you and her kitty partner too - hard to tell at a young age! Feline moms usually teach their babies to cover the "stuff" <g> so it's curious.) , she may want her own but may be happy sharing one or two boxes with her brother.

I have 4 cats and 6 boxes but two of my cats like to use one and each meezer has her and his own tho YY - the alpha kitty - likes to use 2 now and then. She is the original diva, lol

Good luck!! Glad that article helped! :)

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2007, 05:59 PM
I have 3 cats and 2 large rubbermaid boxes,it's working fine.
My cats are used to going downstairs to do their stuff,so maybe it would be easier for you just to have 2 boxes downstairs.
IMO,covered boxes expose the cats to too much dust,it's only good for the owner.
I don't think it's a big deal to sweep up the litter on the floor,seeing it's my downstairs bathroom,the kitty-bathroom:)

I went to Target and just got a hand vac. It solves my litter problem

ancientgirl
June 18th, 2007, 06:04 PM
I am so happy to hear of your decision - thank you!! I am sure your cats will be most happy with their litter boxes!! The rule of thumb is one box per cat plus one but as has been noted, that does not always have to be the case. I would get one for each cat though and see how that works out. Once Oksana gets used to covering her stuff (It may mean she does not feel at all threatened by you and her kitty partner too - hard to tell at a young age! Feline moms usually teach their babies to cover the "stuff" <g> so it's curious.) , she may want her own but may be happy sharing one or two boxes with her brother.

I have 4 cats and 6 boxes but two of my cats like to use one and each meezer has her and his own tho YY - the alpha kitty - likes to use 2 now and then. She is the original diva, lol

Good luck!! Glad that article helped! :)

Oksana is very shy and incredibly sweet. She looks a bit standoffish to newcomers, but I tell everyone they have to let her get used to them. Vlad is all about being the designated greeter.

I'm hoping the new place has a big enough half bath so that I can put a box in there and the full bath upstairs will get one regardless. I'm very happy they have learned to live with each other, and even though they still have their scuffles, they share things some cats won't. They even don't mind eating and drinking out of each other's bowels, even at the same time.

I really do appreciate that article. I'm so happy I found this site. It's nice to get different opinions and advice on things from people you know will actually answer you. :cat: