Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Has anyone heard of Sigma 7 dog food?

celticfox
June 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM
It's a higher end food made by Nutram and is sold at some Global Pet food stores.

Sadly, Go! Salmon and Oatmeal isn't sitting well with our old girl, Rusty. She did fine on it for a month or so but now she's experiencing constant gas. I can't help but wonder if the high amount of oatmeal may be the reason. :shrug:

I'm seriously running out of options because of Raven's allergies and I'm thinking of giving one of the following Sigma 7 foods a try. Thoughts on these ingredients?

Trout & Rabbit formula with Organic Spelt

Trout, Rabbit, Rice flour, Herring Meal, Dried Whole Eggs, Spelt, Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (Whole Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Spinach, Blueberries, Cranberries and Pumpkin), Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E), Natural Flavors, Flaxseed, Pea Fiber, Milk Calcium Dicalcium phosphate, Sun Dried Alfalfa, Potassium Chloride, Salt, Lecithin, Chicory Root Powder (a source of FOS), Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Kelp Meal, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Bacterial Cultures (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium), Bee Pollen, Spirulina, Bromelain, Papain, Vitamin C, Mannanoligosaccharides, Selenium, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Devil’s Claw Extract, Glucosamine Sulphate, Chondroitin Sulphate, Grape Seed Extract, Hawthorne Extract, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, Niacin, Dicalcium pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Tocotrienols, Lycopenes, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron proteinate, Manganous oxide, Manganese proteinate, Zinc Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Copper proteinate, Calcium iodate, Cobalt Proteinate, Beta carotene.

http://www.nutram.com/petfood/gourmet/troutrabbit.aspx

Whitefish & Peas formula with Potato and Red Milo

Whitefish, Red Milo, Pea Protein, Potato Protein, Chicken Fat (preserved with Vitamin E), Potato Flour, Fresh Fruits and Vegetables (Whole Apples, Sweet Potatoes, Squash, Spinach, Blueberries, Cranberries and Pumpkin), Natural Flavors, Milk calcium, Flaxseed, Sun Dried Alfalfa, Pea Fiber, Tomato Pomace, Oat Fiber, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Lecithin, Chicory Root Powder (a source of FOS), Kelp Meal, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Bacterial Cultures (Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, Enterococcus faecium), Bee Pollen, Spirulina, Bromelain, Papain, Vitamin C, Mannanoligosaccharides, Selenium, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Devil’s Claw Extract, Glucosamine Sulphate, Chondroitin Sulphate, Grape Seed Extract, Hawthorne Extract, Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Vitamin K (menadione), Vitamin B12, Riboflavin, Niacin, Dicalcium pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride, Thiamine mononitrate, Folic Acid, Biotin, Tocotrienols, Lycopenes, Ferrous Sulphate, Iron proteinate, Manganous oxide, Manganese proteinate, Zinc Sulphate, Copper Sulphate, Copper proteinate, Calcium iodate, Cobalt Proteinate, Beta carotene.

http://www.nutram.com/petfood/gourmet/whitefishpeas.aspx

Your opinions are muchly appreciated as always. :)

SableCollie
June 17th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Is it dry food? Because the meat ingredients at the top of the list are not in meal (moisture removed) form, so when the moisture is removed for processing into kibble, they would fall further down the list. So the trout & rabbit one, rice flour would probably end up being the 1st ingr, and on the other one milo (which is either a seed or grain, not sure :o) would be #1.

The also contain menadione (synthetic Vitamin K) which I know has been discussed a lot on this forum...I consider it one of those "try to avoid" ingredients.

gypsy_girl
June 17th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Have you tried using a pre and probiotic with the GO!???
I am more of a fan of an elimination diet, using one protein and one carb for food issues (if that is what you think is going on)
Gas can be a sign of intollerance, but also a sign of not enough of the "good" bacteria in the digestive tract hence the biotics.
I am thinking you are thinking that you want a food with an alternate protein source? I guess Orijen Fish won't work cause they both use Salmon?
With food intollerances I think most of the foods us "meat" as the 1st ingredient, not meal (exept GO!)
These foods would always be worth a try though, especially if you are stuck.

One Beagle Girl
June 19th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I second SableCollie on the menadione. I'd personally never recommend a food that has it.

Other than that, I think there's too many ingredients for an allergy dog. I like a food with a single source of protein and fewer ingredients. It makes it easier to figure out what ingredient is causing problems, and also gives the dog's system less things to react to. Rabbit, trout, herring meal, and chicken fat make 4 possible allergens. Some dogs are sensitive to flaxseed, etc.

I know you've had food problems with Raven, but I can't remember what she's allergic to. Could she be sensitive to fish? If you tell me what she's allergic to, I could recommend something for you.

I know how frustrating it is to find a food that works because I've been through it with Parker. We are just finishing a 12 week elimination diet, and his skin was pink free for the first time last week. :D

eta: Have you considered any homeopathic remedies?