Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Awful Neighbour

bklevar
June 16th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Hi: Does anyone have an awful neighbour like mine. I have 2 dogs There is a chain link fence between our properties and if I let my younger dog out, the older one seldom barks, I hear SHUT UP YOU STUPID------- DOG. I am so sick of this guy I wish he would move. He once tried to kick my dog through the fence. I am so careful when I let them out if he starts to bark I get him in immediately. I am thinking of putting up a privacy fence but I don't know if that would help, at least I won't see him. I'm not the only recipient of his nastiness he also swears at the neighbours dog if he barks. He's had confrontation with some neighbours. Just a grown up Bully. Any suggestions of what I can do?

hazelrunpack
June 16th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I think your idea of putting up a privacy fence is a pretty good one. Your dog may not bark much in that direction any more if he can't see any activity, and your neighbor certainly won't be able to try to kick at your dog through a solid fence. :thumbs up

SableCollie
June 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Yes I have an awful neighbor too! The kids would run back and forth along the fence which of course would make my dog excited and bark. When we asked the kids to run in another part of the yard they said "but we like the dog to chase us." They also used to have a (neglected) dog, and the dogs used to fight through the fence which I didn't understand because my dog likes other dogs. One day I saw the teenage kid take his dog out on leash, drag his dog's face up to the fence and whistle so that my dog came running over and then he watched the dogs trying to fight through the fence. They also soaked my dog with their garden hose when she barked at them. We put up sort of privacy fencing-it is these green slats that thread through the chain link-very ugly. It did not help at all, my dog could still hear and smell the people and would bark. We just had to really work on training the dog not to bark and as soon as I see the neighbors come out into their yard, I bring my dog right in.

If your neighbor tries to kick your dog again, you can report it to police or animal control. He sounds like a real jerk, but you could also try talking to him and say you realize that barking bothers him and you are trying to work on the problem.

Melinda
June 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM
I think I'd have a hose ready and when your neighbour yells at your dog for barking , spray him...the neighbour, not the dog, and yell "will you shut up over there, we can't hear our dog barking"!!! and if that doesn't work, get the neighbour a shock collar and put it on 10....ok, but we can dream can't we? I'd put my vote in for the privacy fence

JanM
June 16th, 2007, 09:44 PM
I'm with SableCollie - I would report this guy to the Animal Control or the police - that way it's on record from you - not him. A privacy fence just might do the trick too - if your dog can't see him it might help with the barking. Unfortunately there are people like that in this world and somehow we have to find ways of dealing with them! Good luck!

Frenchy
June 16th, 2007, 10:57 PM
spray him...the neighbour, not the dog, and yell "will you shut up over there, we can't hear our dog barking"!!!

:laughing: good one Melinda !

I vote for the privacy fence too . That is why I moved out here, no neighbor, sooo dreamy !

clm
June 16th, 2007, 11:06 PM
We had to put up a privacy fence along one side of our yard because of a rotten neighbour. She used to poke sticks through the fence at Yogi. That dog loved everyone, except her (no wonder). Because our yards have a fair slope at the back, we had to put a 7 foot tall fence all the way up that side so she couldn't tease him. This woman was in her 60's at the time. Unbelievable how stupid people are.

Cindy

glitterless
June 21st, 2007, 03:26 AM
Some people don't have any patience and are miserable. However, I'm trying to look at both sides of the story.

How many dogs are in your neighbourhood? How much barking does this guy hear each day? We're all dog lovers, but he probably isn't. And honestly, as much as I love my dogs, I find it absolutely frustrating when my neighbours' dogs keep me up at night with their constant barking. Of course I say "stupid neighbour" instead of "stupid dog," because I can't blame a dog for barking!

I vote for the privacy fence as well. Also, have you ever spoken to the guy? How approachable is he? It might not hurt to pop over one day and apologize for the barking. He might appreciate it and might go easier on you and the dogs next time.

Good luck!

marsupial mama
June 21st, 2007, 06:14 PM
sounds like you are really trying to work this one out :thumbs up As a non-dog-person (:cat: !!) I know I appreciate it hugely when dog people take the effort to train their dogs so that they don;t bother the non-dog-people. At the same time, the occasional woof is no big deal, it's just the dog being a dog.

If he's kicking at your dog with no "provocation" (such as the dog roaming unleashed, getting onto his property or alarming him in the street etc - which I doubt is happening here) then definitely report him.

There's certainly no need for foul language etc. Even if he is working the night shift or whatever and would like peace and quiet during the day, that can be addressed in a civilized manner. :rolleyes:

My kids used to run along a fence and "race" with a neighbour's dog - with the neighbour's blessing. But when the dog got injured and was *not* supposed to run or jump, the neighbour told me and I explained to the kids and they stopped. We can work things out if we would just TALK, eh?

mummummum
June 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
I think I'd have a hose ready and when your neighbour yells at your dog for barking , spray him...the neighbour, not the dog, and yell "will you shut up over there, we can't hear our dog barking"!!! and if that doesn't work, get the neighbour a shock collar and put it on 10....ok, but we can dream can't we? I'd put my vote in for the privacy fence

Ditto...to all of it :D :evil: :laughing:

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2007, 07:46 PM
I seem to have always been blessed by good neighbours and I loved Melinda's idea but have to admit that dialogue might also be attempted. He does not sound like the nicest guy on the block but talking could not hurt. I live in the Maritimes where I cannot imagine not knowing and liking my neighbours.

It is important to remember that not everyone out there is a pet lover and especially if they need sleep or are afraid of dogs - and many people are - we need to be aware of their needs as well. There is absolutely no need for him to use nasty language however and that in itself would irk me and I'd have to bite my tongue. I think dialog and a privacy fence may be your answers. A chained link fence with a nasty neighbour can lead to problems - he can see your dog and if you do not know him well, who knows what he is capable of doing to your dog? I am assuming you watch your dog when he is outside - I never allowed my poodle or beagle or our fox terrier out without being there myself or being able to see him. Same for my brother's chocolate lab when I labsit - one of my neighbours has a fear of large dogs so I am particularly attentive if I am walking him and meet her on the street. (he is a big baby who loves people and is the kindest dog but she is scared and I have to accept that and act accordingly.) Her son, granted, often asks if he can come and et my animals and that's fine - he's a great kid.

CyberKitten
June 21st, 2007, 07:55 PM
I had to laugh- I spoke about this neighbour and just then she phoned me to look after their cat while they go to Ottawa for the weekend - coincidences,lol

bklevar
June 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I wish that this neighbour was unapproachable but he is not. I think my only solution is to put up a privacy fence. You know I am home all day as I am retired, and I honestly have not been bothered by any barking dogs. I am so careful to make sure my dog is quiet, I get him instantly whenever he barks but he can't tolerate any dogs or for that matter people either, he has had run-ins with many of the neighbours (not over dogs barking). This man is a professional, you wouldn't know it by his language, and I don't know how he deals with his clients?? I guess I'll just have to learn to live with it, and keep praying that he moves - not a comfortable situation.

Thanks for all your suggestions and support.

clm
June 21st, 2007, 09:40 PM
We don't let our dogs bark either. I don't like to listen to other peoples dogs bark and I don't expect others to like listening to mine. My neighbour didn't like me, so she took it out on my dog. I honestly don't know why she hated me so much, her husband and her son were quite friendly and came over often to look around the garden, I think maybe she wasn't quite normal after a stroke she had had a few years before she moved in next door. Regardless, the fence worked. :D

Cindy