Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lost Pet Reporting

shirley1011
June 16th, 2007, 04:39 PM
How can we initiate reporting of sightings of lost pets. On the TorontoHumanesociety.com site someone posted seeing a Husky/Malmute and that it wouldn't come but was near Science Centre and drinking water there.
Even though they didn't have the dog, they were at least posting where the dog had been seen and when. That information is so valuable to those of
us with lost pets. I am not sure how to initiate something like that, but it would certainly help in locating our lost ones.

chico2
June 16th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Shirley,whenever I see a dog running around on his own,I always call Humane Society,if I am not able to catch him.
I've even seen HS drive around slowly looking for the dog after my call.
It would be great if everyone did the same:thumbs up

shirley1011
June 16th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Chico, it certainly would be great....I certainly know now to do this but
I'm not sure I would have before...How can I get this message out to
folks to do this! My crusade right now is finding Sable but I would like
to do something to help those with lost dogs...whether it be posting for
those without internet, making flyers, helping the search, moral support...whatever to help find these missing creatures. It seems like
other than those from this site, you seem all alone in your search. There
must be some way to put all the information in a neat package so people are
doing the right things from the start.

chico2
June 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Shirley,the biggest hurdle is to get people to care,to care about a frantic owner and a sad lost dog/cat.
In my area,I don't know of anyone who would make the effort to try to help:sad:

Winston
June 17th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Shirley it would be great to get something like that started...I agree with Chico people have to care more!!! I have seen dogs running down a busy street and I go after them whether in the car or on foot and others just walk right on by like they dont even see a dog!

I think it would have to work in conjunction with the humane society or someone like that so that the message gets out!! Maybe you could set up a LOST / FOUND website for those looking..just a thought...

I was thinking about you the other day before you posted your last note on Sable....I was really hoping that by now with people returning to thier cottages that there may be a few more sightings?? I am thinking of you again and sending you strength to keep going! Jace from Ottawa has been missing almost as long as Sable....:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr
to both of you!

Cindy

shirley1011
June 17th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I know that getting people to care is the hardest part...I guess until you
have lost a pet there is no true understanding of the anguish and pain.

I feel at least with the SPCA that I am dealing with that there is no
compassion for lost animals....just the ones they have in their care that
are looking for homes. So I really wouldn't expect much from the ones I
have dealt with to help with the lost and missing.

I have come across a few who have been very helpful and perhaps would
make some suggestions as to what can be done. The one thing I find most
annoying is the sites where lost dogs are posted and there are never any
updates or messages that the pet has been located. I know there are others on this site who try and cross-reference the lost and found in different areas and sometimes the pet isn't even missing any longer.

I don't know the answer or answers but I know that I have to do something in some way to help those with missing pets. I had the pleasure of talking with a professional pet detective (past police officer) in Seattle Washington back in the fall and she was sooooo helpful and gave me suggestions
and support that I needed at that time to keep going.