Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Lobo!

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Poor Lobo Vom Angelbaum (yes, that's his real name, he came with it! :D ) is so old and wobbly, but still handsome, so I love showing him off! He used to be a working police dog trained in protection, tracking, and narcotics. He was very good as his job too!

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos149.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos008-1.jpg

Showing off his overbite and old nose injury here....but still handsome!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos107.jpg

And of course my favorite, which I know I've posted before, but what the heck!
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i78/laikawolf/Photos085.jpg

Don't you just want to hug him? :lovestruck: And he'd let you too. He used to do a lot of school and fair demonstrations because he would let the kids pat him at the end, and the other police dogs couldn't be trusted with kids. Just the awesomest dog ever. After Sable that is!

TMac
June 14th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Lobo is absolutely gorgeous. He looks so adorable and cuddly - hard to imagine he was a tough police dog once! How old is he? He still looks really spritely!

Frenchy
June 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
aww he looks good ! :cloud9: Where were you hidding him ? :frustrated:

Smiley14
June 14th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Awwww!!!! What a sweet old man! Gotta love the name! :laughing:

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Lobo turned 11 in April! He came over from Germany back in 1998 when he was 2. He worked until he was 9, he started really having trouble with his hind legs at that point, but he had to continue working until the new dog (Basko) had completed training. He actually still wanted to go to work, he knows when my dad has his uniform on it is work time, and it was so sad the first year after he retired, my dad would have to say to him "No you have to stay here." And Lobo would watch him leave with the new dog. :sad: So my dad has to take him for a ride to go get coffee in the morning so Lobo can feel like he still has a purpose in life. Official Coffee Getting Assistant. And sometimes my dad takes him to the park, but he will steal tennis balls and baseballs from people and then he runs back to the cruiser and jumps in and my dad has to drive off fast! :D

Poor guy is on a bunch of supplements and gets acupuncture once a month just to keep him mobile, though, I don't know how much longer he can hold out for. Some days he can run, and some days he can hardly stand, but he is hanging in there.

Frenchy
June 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Poor Lobo :sad: Your father sounds like a really nice man. Lobo is very lucky to be part of such a wonderful family as yours. :highfive:

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 09:03 PM
My dad really loves Lobo. It's funny because you wouldn't think he'd be the type to get all mushy over a dog...but sometimes I see him kiss Lobo on the nose. Shhh, don't tell anyone though, it would ruin his tough cop reputation. :laughing:

TMac
June 14th, 2007, 09:10 PM
awwwww, this guy's story just melts my heart! I can only imagine that year after he retired - wanting to go to work but being told 'no'. So good of your dad to take him for coffee instead!

What a great dog with a great family and working partner! :grouphug:

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Lobo's a good boy. He would let anyone in the house, even if we weren't home (relatives and workers and such) and we thought he just wasn't protective of the house. But then one night when I was home alone, I heard Lobo growling very serious sounding, and I had never heard him do that before. He was looking out the window at the driveway (because it was summer the windows were open). I peeked around the curtain, and there was a man coming up the driveway towards the window! I was scared, but before I could do anything the guy looked up, saw Lobo's big scary head looking out the window, swore, and ran back down the driveway. Lobo the hero! I swear, he could tell the difference between "bad guys" and "good guys" and I don't know how he did it.

My dad used to have this really good picture of Lobo leaping out of the window of his police cruiser (back in Lobo's younger days!). If I ever find it, I'll scan it in and post it.

erykah1310
June 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM
He is gorgeous :cloud9:
Such a handsome fella.

rainbow
June 15th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Lobo is very handsome. :lovestruck: Kudos to your dad for taking him on his coffe run. :highfive:

TMac
June 15th, 2007, 10:36 AM
My dad used to have this really good picture of Lobo leaping out of the window of his police cruiser (back in Lobo's younger days!). If I ever find it, I'll scan it in and post it.

Yes, please! More Lobo pics!! :thumbs up

Furbaby Momma
June 15th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Lobo is a handsome boy, give him a :grouphug: for me and tell him Thank You for helping your dad put their lives on the line to save people...truly amazing! :cloud9: