Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Great Pyrenees question

daisyduke
June 14th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Hi, I'm new at this site. My family is a HUGE lover of the great pyrenees. We got our first 2 - males from the same litter in 2000. One of our "boys", Louie, passed away almost 2 years ago of a fast growing bone cancer in his front right leg. He was only 5 years old. We then got a female, Daisy, for a companion for Duke. Duke, now 7, has just been diagnosed with the bone cancer, also in his front leg. He doesn't have long with us. Is this common with the pyrenees? Both Duke and Louie were very big dogs, very tall, and weighing about 145 lbs. Daisy is much smaller and from a different breeder.
Thanks for your imput,
very, very sad family

Frenchy
June 14th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I can't answer your question because I don't know too much about pyrenees except that I love them and will own one , one day. I'm very sorry about the cancer, :sad: hope someone else will come and help you with your question.

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 08:32 PM
If it is osteosarcoma, yes, unfortunately it is common to the breed. the Great Pyrenees Club of America is looking for blood samples from infected dogs to help in their research. http://www.gpcahealth.org/RSOsteosarcoma.htm#Broad%20Institute%20-%20Contact%20/%20Instructions%20for%20Submissions:

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 09:53 PM
Sorry to hear about Duke, daisyduke. :grouphug:

Welcome to the board, though it is under such sad circumstances. Best of luck with Duke :fingerscr