Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

legally get out of a lease?

raingirl
June 14th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Is there ANY way to legally get out of a lease in Ontario?? ANY??

I am soooo miserable. My roommate and his GF are nuts! They never clean and he is about to have a nervous breakdown (he is on stress leave) and there are cockroaches!! my fiance and I want to move out, but i am named on the lease and therefore legally responsible. I don't trust getting a subletter.

Do we have any options? Would the cockroaches be enough? Can we say, we can't live with them and therefore must move?

PLEASE ! I need options.

Rainy
June 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Are you the only name mentioned in the lease?I would call the landlord and inform him that you are moving out and your name needs to be removed from the lease.Make sure you have written and not verbal only.My sis says most places in Ontario rent month to month and not yearly leases.How is your lease done?

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 09:51 PM
Heres a website that gives you all info on your legal rights.http://www.ltb.gov.on.ca/en/About_Us/STEL02_111279.html

http://www.ontariotenants.ca/

I think if this guys is going to have a breakdown, you should be able to get out because you shouldn't have to live in fear!

meg4050
June 15th, 2007, 01:16 PM
If you have roaches you may have a way out. If you've voiced complaints to a landlord about them and they've been ignored, you can take them to the tenant board.
My boyfriend's apartment was infested with bedbugs last spring after a new neighbour moved in and brought them along. He complained repeatedly and they fumigated the apartment with what we later found out was a substance that clearly stated on the bottle that it would not rid of bedbugs and the chemical was also toxic to animals and put his cats in danger although they were ok. He phoned the tenant bored and they were very cooperative and helped him fight the landlords and managementcompany and ended up getting out of his lease and get his last month's deposit back. But definitley look at the tenant board for the other issues too - they may have something regarding those issues too. Hope this helps!
-Megan

gomez
June 15th, 2007, 10:54 PM
A little sleazy, but you could always say you're pregnant and need more room for the when the baby comes...