Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My bendyfooted mudpuppy is losing her bendy foot today...

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Hi all,
my sweet little mudpuppy Jaida is at the vet's right now...they are amputating her lower leg to remove the malformed part. It's always been in her way and impedes her mobility, not to mention it gets bonked and scraped on things all the time. We're only removing the lower part (below the elbow) because we're going to get her a prosthesis after she's healed up.

I am nervous. Sad. Missing her little "boo-boo leg" already, it was part of her. Trying to imagine how she's going to look. :sad:

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Hoping and Praying that all goes well with Jaida's surgery today:pray: :goodvibes: . You will have to give lots of hugs and kisses to help her heal when she comes home!

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 09:49 AM
:fingerscrs and :pawprint:s crossed for a good outcome! With all those good wishes and :goodvibes:s headed your way, how can she lose?

Just keep focussed on the goal, bendyfoot! She'll be so happy once she's healed up and gets her prosthesis! :thumbs up

jessi76
June 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
just wanted to pop in and say GOOD LUCK! best wishes for a healthy and happy outcome, and a super speedy recovery! please keep us posted if you can - sending TONS of good vibes you & Jaida's way today!

mummummum
June 14th, 2007, 10:22 AM
:grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes: from all of us here !!

I saw a doggy at Woofstock with a prosthesis ~ looked healthy & happy, bounced about like all his other buddies ! :pawprint:

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Any word, yet, bendyfoot? :fingerscr :goodvibes: :grouphug:

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Nothing yet. I'm expecting word any time though. Boy, am I fretting...

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I feel so bad for her. Her leg's going to be sore, PLUS she's getting spayed, PLUS the vet decided to remove her hind dewclaws...

I know it's best to do it all at once because her lungs aren't great (she came to us with really nasty pneumonia, which left scars), and this will spare her more rounds of anaesthetic, but still... although I suppose she's not going to be allowed to move much at all for the next week or two because of her amputation...so it'll allow everything to heal up quickly... poor baby...

I just wish I knew how she was doing....AUGH!!!:yell:

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Awwww poor sweet jaida!! I hope they give her painkillers for when she is healing at home.:grouphug:

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Yes, she'll have a fentanyl patch and they will give us some NSAIDS too. I'm sure she'll be getting some morphine or the like for tonight (we don't get to take her home until tomorrow). I suspect she'll be feeling fine within a few days, though...it's going to be hard to keep her quiet and inactive for two weeks...

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Oh I hope she is doing well! :fingerscr

I've seen lots of 3-legged dogs, but I've never seen one with a prosthetic leg, does she have to go through physical therapy to learn how to use it, just like people do?

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Just got the call...she's done, awake, and fine. Everything went well, no complications other than her elbow was a bit tricky to work with because the bones don't fit together the way they're supposed to. She's alert, mor alert than the vet expected her to be at this point.
All is well, including my pounding heart!!! :)

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 02:14 PM
:thumbs up That's great!

mummummum
June 14th, 2007, 02:27 PM
That's a relief :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Great news, bendyfoot! :grouphug:s for you and Jaida (but hug her carefully! :o)

jessi76
June 14th, 2007, 02:42 PM
wonderful news!

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 02:48 PM
WOOO HOOOO Yeahh for Jaida!!!!:lovestruck:

cpietra16
June 14th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Glad to hear everything went well..:thumbs up

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Oh I hope she is doing well! :fingerscr

I've seen lots of 3-legged dogs, but I've never seen one with a prosthetic leg, does she have to go through physical therapy to learn how to use it, just like people do?

We'll have to see. We'll likely do physio prior to getting the prosthesis to keep the range of motion and muscle tone in the shoulder, maybe do some electrotherapy to stimulate muscle development. I imagine that we'll have to gradually work her up to using the prosthesis for longer periods of time, just as we had to develop her strength gradually with her good front leg over the past few months.
Prostheses for dogs aren't common, but more vets are becoming aware of them as an option. Here's some pics:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/twofeet.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/prosthhindleg.jpg
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/prosh.jpg

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 03:17 PM
A few more:

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/foreleg.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/dogwithrunnerspringfoot.jpg

And links to a video from the guy who's going to make Jaida's. This poor puppy suffered an incredible act of cruelty, but is "running like hell" now on his new leg. The video is of his first time trying it on...I think he does pretty well, considering the slippery floor!

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-2126095530430641095
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7860242603393370321

I'm hopeful that Jaida will adapt to using a prosthesis, because she always tried to use her leg, but it was too short unless she was moving slowly or bending over.

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I couldn't download the video, but even the stills are amazing! I had no idea there was so much available for dogs! :highfive:

Lukka'sma
June 14th, 2007, 03:51 PM
I'm sorry your poor doggy had to go through this. Hope the healing is quick and not too painful. Good luck

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Yep, since we've had the luxury of time to plan and prepare for the amputation, we managed to come across a wealth of information about prosthesis, orthotic braces, wheelchairs/carts, all kinds of things. There is definitely life after amputation, injury or paralysis. I wouldn't even flinch at the thought of caring for a pet if they lost the use of their leg(s) anymore. There's just so much available out there if you're lucky enough to stumble across it.
Jeff, who will be making Jaida's leg, is an amputee himself and used to make devices for children before moving on to help animals. He works out of Halifax http://www.k-9orthotics.com, and has been awesome through our whole decision-making process. He does the work because it benefits the animals and their people and because he personally knows what a difference a device can mean for mobility. It's great because we can ask him about different models or types of devices, and he's usually tried them himself and can advise us about how they fit, feel and help him get around.

chico2
June 14th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Bendyfoot,this is the first time I see Jaida,what a pretty girl:lovestruck:
I am sure she'll adjust to anything ,just like most animals..
I hope she has a quick recovery and it won't be too painful for her:pray:

CyberKitten
June 14th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I am very much involved with the human disabilty movement (if I dare call it that!) and we have always noted animals do so much better and adapt more quickly than humans! I send you my best thoughts!! i HOPE HER RECOVERY WILL GO WELL!! (Sorry for the caps -iguess I really wanted to emphasize it,lol

Give your doggie a hug for me!

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Those pictures of prosthetic legs are very interesting! I guess it would make it easier for the dog to get around? All the 3 legged dogs I know seem to get around just fine, but I guess it would put a lot of stress on the remaining legs, because they have to bear more weight. I suppose a prosthesis would help with that?

That poor puppy in the video! He looked like he was getting the hang of his new "leg" pretty quickly though!

rainbow
June 15th, 2007, 02:36 AM
Poor Jaida. :grouphug: Sending lots of good wishes for a great recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
June 15th, 2007, 09:39 AM
How is Jaida today, bendyfoot? :fingerscr

Furbaby Momma
June 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM
What an amazing event this is, Bendyfoot you are an :angel: to care so much for Jaida the way you do. I am happy she made it through surgery and soon she will be in your loving arms, please give her lots of kisses and :grouphug:

Hunter's_owner
June 15th, 2007, 01:49 PM
Glad to hear she made it through surgery okay.
Fingers crossed for a speedy recovery:fingerscr :goodvibes:

Smiley14
June 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Oh my, poor Jaida!!! Sending out thoughts and well wishes for a speedy recovery!!! :grouphug:

The pictures are just absolutely amazing. I had no idea such options even existed for dogs! That is WONDERFUL! What an amazing adventure Jaida has ahead of her!

marsupial mama
June 16th, 2007, 03:37 PM
wishing Jaida a speedy recovery and many happy days romping around on 3 legs and/or with a prosthesis (sp?). Gotta love and admire the spirit of these animals! :)

bendyfoot
June 25th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Hi all,
thanks for all the wonderful wishes from everyone! So nice to read!
I've been away all week, taking care of my girl.

First, I'll say she has been AMAZING about this whole thing. We took her home the morning after the surgery, and I swear, it was like she had no idea that she'd had major surgery. Up and ready and rearing to go!!! Such a spirit in this little gal.

It's been very hard to keep her quiet, but we've done our best (outside only to pee/poo, carrying her up and down stairs etc. etc.).

The hard part has been...her incision isn't healing very well. She's been "leaking" fluids almost constantly since the surgery. Thursday night her bandage fell off (we had been getting her rebandaged every other day all week) and we saw that most of the stitches had "popped", and the incision was wide open. The vet put in a bunch of staples to close it up again, and we were feeling really hopeful that they would do the trick, but now, three days later, they're coming out too and the incision is opening again. It's not infected at all, thank goodness, at least there's that. But it's open and oozy and yucky-looking. It doesn't seem to hurt her much (we still give her meds, too), and she's dying for a good run outside, but we have to keep a cone on her and we also put on a t-shirt to keep the arm covered.

So, back to the vets we go today. I'm starting to fear that we may need to put her through another surgery.

Here's how she's looking now (don't worry, it's a pic with her bandage on, so no yucky oozy incisions to look at, just a cute, smiley, tough-as-nails gal):
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/j4.jpg

luckypenny
June 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
What a sweet looking dog! Glad to hear the surgery went well and that she's retained her happy mood. Wishing lots of :goodvibes: that the vet can figure out a way to keep the wound stitched up for good so she can heal fast and resume her playful ways quickly.

SableCollie
June 25th, 2007, 01:36 PM
She certainly looks good, I hope the vet finds a way to keep the incision closed! :fingerscr

pags
June 25th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Oh my goodness -- such a pretty girl!! I'm glad she came through the surgery okay.... And best of luck to you guys in helping her get everything all healed up. It's gotta be really really hard to keep her from taking off and hurting herself!! Eep!!

Lukka'sma
June 25th, 2007, 02:00 PM
That picture looks like she doesn't have a care in the world. What a brave girl she is.

hazelrunpack
June 25th, 2007, 03:30 PM
She's even prettier than I imagined her to be :lovestruck: Good luck with the healing! 20 :fingerscrs and 28 crossed :pawprint:s that all turns out super! :thumbs up (and that's a lotta :goodvibes:s!)

Frenchy
June 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
:sorry: never saw that thread before :confused: first of all , thank you so much for taking such good care of her, wish there was more people like you :angel: I hope everything will finally heal properly, sometimes it takes more time ... she's adorable BTW :cloud9: good luck ! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

chico2
June 25th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Jaida is such a brave beautiful girl,I don't understand why staples and stitches are popping out??
Hope the vet finds a solution to keep the inscision closed:pray:
Oozing stuff is usually a sign of infection,isn't it???But then again,I am no vet..or doctor
She is such a lucky girl to be with you,can't say that enough:dog:

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 04:34 PM
What a gorgeous girl she is. :lovestruck: Poor Jaida though :sad: .....I don't understand why the stitches/staples keep popping out either. :confused: I hope the vet can figure out a solution. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

ancientgirl
June 25th, 2007, 04:45 PM
What a cute little puppy! I'm so glad you found a way for your animals to live unimpeded by their disability.

bendyfoot
June 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Off to the vet's in about an hour. We'll see what he says about the incision and those stoopid staples (grrrrr). I'll fill y'all in tomorrow.

Thanks for caring!:love:

rainbow
June 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I'm sending lots of good luck with you. :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

H.P.
June 25th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I just saw this thread, I am glad that Jaida's surgery went well, I hope that they can get it to stay closed and heal up quickly. Sounds like she is ready to get moving again!:goodvibes:

Stacer
June 25th, 2007, 08:47 PM
I missed this thread too, glad to hear that Jaida is doing good. This is such an interesting story, I can't wait to see how she progresses as she heals and learns to use her prosthesis.

TeriM
June 26th, 2007, 03:04 AM
Sending some good vibes for beautiful, brave Jaida:goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: .

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Bad news, guys. There's not going to be a prosthesis...because there's not going to be a leg.

We got her to the vets for a recheck yesterday...I hadn't peeked at the arm yet, I was afraid to. Turns out the whole incision was wide open, weeping, and I swear I could see bone. It was horrible. The vet took one look and said "this isn't working", which is what my parter and I knew to be true in our heart of hearts...so we made the decision immediately to remove the rest of the leg.

This is a much more invasive surgery, but healing should be much easier as there will be no bone to move and disrupt the sutures/staples.

We are feeling grief, guilt, awful fear...just terrible...should we have done this in the first place and spared her all his trauma? She continues to take it in stride, without complaint...but she was in pain last night, we could tell.

She will undergo this second amputation this morning, and we should hear from the clinic after lunch.

I wish this was all over with. I hate it.

happycats
June 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Awww poor sweet Jaida:sad:

Don't ever second guess yourself, your an:angel: and you did what you felt was best for sweet Jaida, and you did it out of love! Your love for her is so obvious in all your posts!

I believe Jaida understands, and she knows you did this to make her life better, my thoughts and prayers go out to you and her, and I hope she has a speedy recovery!:pray:

Heal quick sweet little mud puppy!!:lovestruck:

Frenchy
June 26th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Please don't feel bad about your decision, it might have worked !!! I saw a lot of 3 legged dogs (ok , on tv) and they are moving just like they had 4. Dogs are like that, they love life and their owners so much, who cares if they have one leg missing ! :dog:

bendyfoot
June 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
She's out. She's ok. She's sore, but being managed well and in good hands.

I'm shaking, I'm so exhausted with this. Drained. Happy she's ok, but just want her home.

Frenchy
June 26th, 2007, 08:59 PM
She's out. She's ok. She's sore, but being managed well and in good hands.

I'm shaking, I'm so exhausted with this. Drained. Happy she's ok, but just want her home.

woohoo ! While she's at the vet , you should relax a little. :grouphug: when is she coming home ?

Smiley14
June 26th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry to hear Jaida needed a second surgery. But you can't feel guilty for trying!!!!! She is in such wonderful hands right now and what a brave, sweet girl she is as well!!! :cloud9: Thank you for all you have done for her. I just know she is grateful as well.

SableCollie
June 26th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I'm glad she's doing okay now, and I'm sure she'll do fine with 3 legs. I've known lots of 3-legged dogs (and cats!) and they adjust so well. I hope she gets to go home soon!!!!!!

hazelrunpack
June 27th, 2007, 01:48 AM
It was worth a try, bendyfoot. Don't second guess yourself--you wanted the option for Jaida that would offer her the most. There's nothing bad about that. It just wasn't meant to be, but you had to try! :grouphug:

Now she'll heal well and adjust and be a happy girl and she'll never look back. :highfive:

:goodvibes: for rapid healing and a complete recovery! :thumbs up

BMDLuver
June 27th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Jada is such a beautiful gal. She'll adjust very well to the full leg loss. We had a little guy here that had the same amputation.. first partial then no choice but to go right in to the shoulder. He lives a wonderful life now, runs like the wind, jumps and plays.. sometimes people take a bit to realize he's missing a leg.

poodletalk
June 27th, 2007, 08:13 AM
I know a lady who has a three legged German Shepherd named Tripod. The dog is fine, he doesn't realize he only has three legs instead of four. He's always running up and down the stairs, loves going for walks.

Your dog will be back to it's old self in couple of days.

bendyfoot
June 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Thanks everyone. Feeling much more sane today after a good night's sleep. I've been in close contact with Jaida's vet, and she continues to do well so far. I'm not sure when we'll take her home, but I'm hoping it's tonight. Poor little squirt has been through so much...so have we (her humans)...all we can do is continue to take a day at a time...

Smiley14
June 27th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the update on Jaida! That's so good to hear she is doing well today. Yay for Jaida! Such a strong and amazing girl she is. :lovestruck: Hang in there. :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
June 27th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Bendyfoot, so sorry to hear Jaida had to have the second surgery. But everyone else is right, you made a decision to try to give her the best option. That it didn't work can't be helped. She'll pull through like a trooper and probably not even worry about the missing leg. Our neighbours had a three legged lab who was all over the place! Take care of yourself Bendyfoot, we all know you'll take good care of Jaida, but don't forget you. Hugs to you all for your love and care of your sweet one.:grouphug:

rainbow
June 27th, 2007, 07:19 PM
I am glad to hear that Jaida is doing well after her second operation. :highfive: I agree with everyone about not second guessing yourself. You are a great mom and your love for Jaida shows tremendously. :angel:

Lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

We'd love to see lots more pics of your beautiful girl too. :cloud9:

Frenchy
June 27th, 2007, 09:54 PM
We'd love to see lots more pics of your beautiful girl too. :cloud9:

I second that !

hazelrunpack
June 27th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I'm glad she's doing well, bendyfoot! And that you're feeling a bit better, too. :grouphug: She'll do well! :thumbs up

Now, don't forget those pics when you get her back home! :D We're really looking forward to them!

bendyfoot
June 28th, 2007, 09:18 AM
Hi all,
well, I'm at home with Jaida. She's got a full body-wrap pressure bandage (pink...not her colour, yuck...but I will try to get some pics later anyways).She is confined in the downstairs bathroom thanks to a baby gate. I am sitting 3 feet away from her and she's howling her fool head off. She hates being physically separated from anyone, but I'm not risking her getting ideas about chasing cats or playing with Gracie.

Yesterday was a little rough. She was thrilled to see me when I picked her up...got out to the car on her own ok. Then screamed bloody murder when I put her in the car...I hurt her picking her up. We settled in the house alright, she said hello (quietly) to everyone, had dinner and meds. Had some small ouch moments when we had to do the stairs again, but nothing too bad. She settled ok for sleeping...

Then we woke from a dead sleep with our hearts in our throats...screams of pain...she had rolled onto her "bad" side and didn't seem to know what to do...leapt out of bed and got her repositioned and calmed down...lots of heavy breathing and whining through the rest of the night, but I suppose nothing too out of the ordinary for her (she's very vocal)...I lay awake all night listening to every sound.

Ok this morning until after her poop...strangest thing...did her business, took a few steps, then started screaming again...calmed down after she leaned herself against my legs...god, I'm sure the neighbours thought we were killing her.
She wouldn't walk back to the door, so had to carry her into the house. I have to say, thank GOD she's not heavier. She's over 45 lbs now, and it's one thing to carry her when she's feeling good, or even when she still had her stump, but a whole other ball of wax with this incision...very difficult to properly support her chest without a) hurting her or b) breaking my back. I actually pulled a quad muscle this morning doing the "clean and jerk" with her (you know, trying to bend at the knees)...painful, but I'll manage.

She's settled now...resting. I hope she gets some sleep

joeysmama
June 28th, 2007, 10:23 AM
OH the poor thing !! And poor you !! I hope the healing goes well--and quickly. What an ordeal for the both of you ! :grouphug:

Frenchy
June 28th, 2007, 12:48 PM
OMG , I don't think I could deal with the screaming , breaks your heart does it ? :grouphug: She has to learn how to fonction with 3 legs, this souldn't take long, speedy recovery Jaida :fingerscr

Dog Dancer
June 28th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Oh poor Jaida and you too! It must be heartwrenching to hear her screaming. Most likely all her muscles are in the process now of realigning to the new body structure and she can't figure out why it all hurts. She's going to be stressing parts that she didn't use to have to stress. But it's good that she's trying and she's taking comfort in mommy. I hope she heals up fast this time - she's so sweet. More pics in her pretty pink wrapper pls...:grouphug: this is probably harder on you than her.

SableCollie
June 28th, 2007, 01:18 PM
:sad: I hope the pain gets better soon.

pags
June 28th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Awww!! I'm so sorry you're both having such a hard time! Poor sweetie doesn't understand what's happening. I really admire everything you've done and are doing for her. She's a lucky puppy. Hang in there!! And be sure you set aside some time for YOU to rest once she's pulled through the worst of it. HUGS!!

bendyfoot
June 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
She's back at the hospital...siiiiggggghhhhhh.

I noticed some weird squishy bumps on either side of the bandage...called the vet...had to haul her back in...turns out they were large blood blisters...fluid buildup getting squished out from under the bandage.

She got them drained, and they took the bandage off to have a look. I got to see it. It's a HUGE incision, shaped like an "L", probably about 7-8 inches in each direction. I prepped myself for this kind of incision over the past few months by looking at pictures of other dogs who had the same surgery, so it wasn't shocking to me. The good news is, although she looked rather Frankenstein-esque, the incision looks really, really good, better than the other one ever did.

They decided it would be best to keep her until Saturday, to keep her as quiet as possible, monitor the fluid buildup, possibly put a drain in, rebandage and then be able to give her stronger pain drugs, too, without us having to deal with a stumbly, weirded-out dog. I'm sad to have her gone again, but happy she's in good hands and releived...it's been very difficult watching and hearing her discomfort...also sleep-deprived from lying awake listening to her all night...a few nights of sleep will help us cope with her better when she comes home.

Boys, oh boys...what a crazy couple of weeks it's been.

Having trouble uploading photos...I snapped one before I brought her in...I'll get it up tomorrow...

bendyfoot
June 28th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Here she is...managed to find a comfy position for a little while, poor soul.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/PICT0283-2.jpg

chico2
June 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Awww,poor girl:sad: I hope the stay at the hospital will help with her pain,I can't imagine how I would feel if any of my cats were screaming in pain..
Poor,poor Jaida and you,:pray: she will be fine..

joeysmama
June 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Maybe she'll rest more at the hospital since it's unfamiliar and she won't be looking to do the things she does at home.:shrug: I'm just trying to find the silver lining here, but they might be abe to restrict her movement more. At home she would see you and want to be with you, but there she'll be more likely to just rest if she's restricted ??

hazelrunpack
June 28th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Yep...no distractions there. She won't be happy, but she will be quieter--and that's a good thing! She's in good hands, bendyfoot. :grouphug: Nice to hear that the incision is looking so good, despite the fluid buildup.

:pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

rainbow
June 28th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Awww.....poor Jaida :grouphug: and poor you. :grouphug: I couldn't bear to hear one of mine crying out in pain and there's nothing you can do. :sad:

I am really glad she is back at the vet. Although it's hard for the both of you, it's the best place for her for a few days, until she gets used to her loss. I hope she recovers well. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

cpietra16
June 28th, 2007, 07:22 PM
It's so sad to see Jaida just laying there. You are amazing with her.

Frenchy
June 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I'm glad she's at the vet until Saterday. Much safer for her, and less stress for you. If anything happens, she will get the care she needs asap. It must be so hard on you, but just think how good she will feel , very soon I hope. She is so cute lying on her pillow, she's lucky to have a mom like you ! :angel:

~michelle~
June 28th, 2007, 10:57 PM
poor girl.
she is lucky to have a mom as deicated as you.
feel better soon and soon enough you guys will make it through this and youll have your same dog back.

bendyfoot
June 29th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Good morning everyone!
I just got off the phone with Jaida's vet...she's had a good night. Her bandage is still off, there is still quite a lot of fluid, but some is draining out on its own through the incision. Painwise, she is allowing the vet/techs to touch her chest and near the incision site without complaint...they have only had one "screaming" epidose when they touched some fluid buildup near her sternum...weird because that's very far from the surgical site. He's rating her pain response at about 2/10...very good. She is begining to resign herself to all the quiet/isolation time...she still calls out for people a bit, but is mostly resting quietly without complaint. Apparently they couldn't get her to pee this morning because she was so thrilled about all the people around her that she spent all her time visiting and talking instead of doing her business.
Dr. Sparling is going to get other members of his staff (other vets) to come see Jaida so they can brainstorm and pool their ideas about what course of action they should take. There is still discussion about drains and/or bandaging in the future. He mentioned that there is a possibility that Jaida has a mild clotting disorder. Nothing serious, or she would have bled out during her surgeries and her spay/dewclaw incisions healed up just fine.
So, long story short, she remains in good hands, I am feeling optimistic, and I was able to get some much-needed sleep last night. We are preparing an xtra large crate for her for when she comes home tomorrow. I suspect there will be xtra large temper tantrums about it, but what can you do?

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 09:26 AM
:highfive: for a good night! Glad you got some sleep and Jaida is feeling a little happier.

Home tomorrow already! :fingerscr I'm always much happier when my little convalescents come home. Don't forget to pamper yourself while you're pampering sweet Jaida! :grouphug:

:fingerscrs and crossed :pawprint:s for continued recovery and lots of shlurpy kisses from the Pack for Jaida! :dog:

bendyfoot
June 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM
She continues to do well at the vets. They will be sedating her shortly so that they can insert a drain in her chest, and remove the fluids that are there now. Hopefully this will get the edema under control, and we'll have a problem-free weekend.:fingerscr

luckypenny
June 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
My thoughts and best wishes are with you and Jaida. Big hugs to you both.

TeriM
June 29th, 2007, 03:43 PM
I'm glad she is doing better. You are a great mom and here's lots of hugs coming your way :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: for such a tough time.

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM
With all the :goodvibes:s heading Jaida's way, how can the weekend be anything but problem-free!? :fingerscr Is she still coming home or will they keep her there for an extra day to make sure the drain is working?

bendyfoot
June 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
She's coming home at 4:00 on Saturday...that was the original plan, and so far we're sticking with it. The clinic is closed after that for the long weekend, but our vet is on call and only a pager beep away if something comes up. My biggest fear is that we'll land in the emerg hospital if she needs more intensive care...we had to do that at Easter with her for four days ("fever of unknown origin"), and it sucked. As much as I was happy they were there, and got her well, I was less than impressed with the staff and their service...not much in the way of bedside manners or communication. Not to mention, they're not very sympathetic when it comes to all the medical expenses we've incurred with this little gal. Our vet has been extremely forgiving in this respect (he's not charging us for the hospitalization right now, for example), which is a darn good thing 'cause we're already broke:rolleyes: But what can you do? She's our baby and we'll do what needs to be done.

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Oh, I hear ya about the vet bills! :rolleyes: It's so nice to find an understanding vet, though, isn't it?

Well, the Pack and I are hoping the weekend goes uneventfully--with plenty of TLC, lovin' and healing! :thumbs up She's going to be very happy to be home! :dog:

bendyfoot
June 29th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Thanks!
I'll update as soon as I'm able. Gotta run!

Dog Dancer
June 29th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Crystal all our thoughts and prayers that you and Jaida (and all the family) have an extremely restful and uneventful weekend. She looks so sweet sleeping on her pillow (what do you mean pink's not her colour???) I don't have computer access at home so I'll have to wait until Tuesday to check up - that's gonna kill me. I really hope she has a better time with the pain issues now. I went through all that drainage stuff with my last dog - it was horrible. They didn't put a drainage tube in her neck after surgery and we also had swelling. It took many return trips to get the drainage issue sorted out (vet's fault). So it's good that they're going to address it right away. So relax a bit yourself, glad you got a good night sleep. Hugs and kisses for sweet Jaida.:goodvibes:

Stacer
June 29th, 2007, 06:06 PM
So glad to hear that Jaida is doing so well after her second surgery. She sounds like a strong little pup. Yay Jaida, you'll be running around in no time!!

rainbow
June 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Glad to hear that Jaida is improving and it's nice that you have such an understanding vet. :thumbs up She will be so excited to be home with you tomorrow. I hope the worst is over and all goes well and she has a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

Frenchy
June 29th, 2007, 08:54 PM
I hope everything goes well for the week end :pray: I know about emergency clinics , I went twice to one of them, for the price you pay, you would think they could have more compassion for the animals and their owners :frustrated:

SableCollie
June 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I hope Jaida continues to improve!!! :fingerscr :fingerscr

We've had problems with emergency vets too, it's a shame, it seems to be more about the $$ than the pets with them!

krdahmer
June 30th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I bet she's thrilled to be coming home... from the sounds of it, you've been doing pretty good in the 'nursing' department yourself. And there is no better healer than love! Hope she continues to improve!:goodvibes: :grouphug:

Love4himies
June 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. Sounds like you have a great vet. :fingerscr

In no time, she'll be running around!

bendyfoot
July 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
Hi gang,
well, Jaida's been home since Saturday afternoon and things have been more or less ok. We've set up a crate for her, and she's in it about 23 hours a day, other than to poo/pee/eat. She has a large bandage, from her neck to her belly, in an attempt to apply pressure on the whole area that's building fluids. They haven't put in a drain yet...the vet is hoping this will resolve itself without a drain, since it would mean an open place where bacteria could get in. She's been put on a second, stronger antibiotic (zenquin) along with her cephalexin. Metacam for pain every 24 hours. She has taken to the crate with grace...mostly...she's not thrilled about it, but is tolerating it and not crying constantly (although there have definitely been temper tantrums).
The fluid is mostly staying where it should, although we applied more pressure wrap around her upper chest/lower neck this afternoon to be safe.
She is still have moments of acute pain, but they don't last as long as they did the first day. It seems to happen primarily when she goes to the bathroom or eats. Sometimes it's simply when she's standing. She flinches her "bad" shoulder backwards and tries to lean on something. We're not sure why this is happening at these times...it could be the bandage pulling something sensitive, it could be muscle spasms...we don't know.
This evening she seems wary...rather wide-eyed. She's settling reasonably well in her crate, but just seems...off. We'll see how she's doing in the morning. We've spoken to our vet several times today, and he'll meet us if we think it's necessary.
We'll be bringing her back in to the clinic on Tuesday for the day, so they can re-bandage, drain and monitor.
We're feeling watchful and wary ourselves...uncertain what is "normal". We are keeping busy by renovating...lots of painting and tiling going on right now...helps keep our minds off things.
Anyhoo, that's where we're at today. I'll stay in touch.

luckypenny
July 1st, 2007, 08:53 PM
I'm wondering if Jaida isn't quite aware yet that her leg is gone. Her brain may still be sending signals to use it and when she uses those shoulder muscles, it may be creating more pain for her :shrug: . In time, she'll heal and be back to her old self again. :goodvibes: for you and Jaida.

~michelle~
July 1st, 2007, 09:40 PM
it will take her a little while to realize fully that the leg is no longer there, her brain is still functioning on 4 legs, and will take it a couple of weeks to switch to 3 legs. phantom pains and feelings like the old leg is there is common in amputees

Frenchy
July 1st, 2007, 11:35 PM
It must be so hard for you seeing her this way. I know how worried we get about our fuzzbutts. I second (or third) the above posts. I think she has to get that she has 3 legs now. :grouphug: Good luck :fingerscr :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 1st, 2007, 11:43 PM
Good healing :goodvibes: for Jaida! :fingerscr I hope she's feeling better soon! We're all rooting for her, bendyfoot! :grouphug:

rainbow
July 2nd, 2007, 02:00 AM
I agree about the phantom pains. :sad: I hope it doesn't take too long for her to realize that she only has three legs. :grouphug: Sending lots of good wishes for a speedy recovery. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
July 2nd, 2007, 06:04 PM
Hey all,
hanging in there. After three calls to our vet this morning (poor guy, no holidays for him with Jaida around) we ended up heading in to the clinic today...the fluid buildup around her neck just seemed like "too much"...really hard to judge this, though...don't have any experience with what's "normal" for a large seroma.
Good thing too...when we removed her from her crate, her neck and shoulder were all wet...
Anyhoo, I went in with Jaida, her Dr. cut off her bandage. The top (vertical) part of the incision is healing well, but the bottom part is still kind of mushy because the fluids are draining out of a part of it.
I have to say, it was a bit crazy how much stuff came out. Pretty gross, but nothing surprises me anymore...I did ok holding her while the vet applied pressure to push the rest of the fluids out. Amazing thing...she didn't flinch throughout the whole ordeal, even with direct pressure on the surgical site. In fact, we haven't had a single "ouch" today. If I hold my hand on her good shoulder while she's eating or going to the bathroom, I can apply some resistance if she starts to flinch away...seems to stop the whatever it is that's happening.
So, after the drained FOREVER...we bandaged her back up. She'll go back to the clinic for the day tomorrow and will likely stay for a few days. She'll probably get her drain after all...I think we're throwing in the towel for natural drainage and are willing to take the risks associated with the drain... and will get routine bandage changes etc, monitoring...and her moms will get another mental health break. Still no signs of infection, so that's good. She seems much more comfie now that all the pressure from the fluids is gone.
Still hanging in there.

pags
July 2nd, 2007, 06:16 PM
Gosh. Keep hanging on, bendy. I'm praying for things to start looking up -- and keep looking up -- very soon. Hugs.:goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 2nd, 2007, 11:28 PM
Drains can be a bit shocking to look at if you're at all squeamish like I am, but they sure do the trick. :thumbs up

I hope Jaida doesn't have to stay at the clinic too long! :fingerscr But pamper yourselves a little while she's gone :grouphug: You deserve it, Jaida's :angel:s!

Smiley14
July 3rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
I've been praying for you and for Jaida everyday. Thanks for taking the time to give us updates. You and Jaida are both amazingly STRONG, and I admire you so much. :grouphug:

chico2
July 3rd, 2007, 08:02 AM
Me too for sure,Jaida seems to be an amzing brave girl and she has a wonderful mom.:dog:
Is this fluidbuildup common after this kind of surgery???
I've seen amputations on TV before(ER Vets)and everything was quickly back to normal with the animals,but maybe they just did not show the recovery-part.
Jaida deserves a break as do you,hopefully we'll soon see and end to this:pray:

bendyfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
Me too for sure,Jaida seems to be an amzing brave girl and she has a wonderful mom.:dog:
Is this fluidbuildup common after this kind of surgery???
I've seen amputations on TV before(ER Vets)and everything was quickly back to normal with the animals,but maybe they just did not show the recovery-part.
Jaida deserves a break as do you,hopefully we'll soon see and end to this:pray:

No, the extent of this fluid buildup isn't all that common, but it does happen on occasion. It hasn't happened to any of the people I've spoken to whose dogs had an amputation. Our vet says he's only seen this with two other surgeries during his whole career (and one was a mass removal...a lump bigger than a basketball!).

I'm not too worried about the drain in terms of squeamishness...after seeing all that fluid drained yesterday, a little ol' drain isn't going to bug me.

On a positive note, this morning she rolled onto her back....got a nice belly-rub...then rolled onto her BAD side...then stood up! All with no ouchies! We are still ouch-free...we just have to get these fluids under control.

Smiley14
July 3rd, 2007, 01:35 PM
No ouchies! That's awesome! I bet that roll felt reallyyyyy good to Jaida! :lovestruck:

bendyfoot
July 3rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
We have a drain.

Fingers crossed.

hazelrunpack
July 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
:fingerscrs and :goodvibes:s and a lot of crossed :pawprint:s thrown in for really good healing luck! :grouphug:

SableCollie
July 3rd, 2007, 03:36 PM
:fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :fingerscr :pray: !!!!!!!

Stacer
July 3rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
We're keeping our fingers and paws crossed here that the drain does the trick and she heals up really fast. The weather's beautiful right now, she should be able to enjoy it!!

rainbow
July 3rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
Sending lots of good wishes for you and Jaida. :fingerscr :fingerscr :pray: :pray: :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
July 4th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Good news...finally!

The vet called...the drains are looking good, but hardly any fluid came out overnight, and there's hardly any puffiness...her surgical site is looking nice and FLAT!!! Hooray! :party: :party: :party: It sounds like we're almost there!!!:D

cpietra16
July 4th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I'm so glad to hear the news. I just went back to Jaida's baby pics on your site....OMG she came a long way. You really are her earth angel:cloud9:

Frenchy
July 4th, 2007, 12:47 PM
awww I'm so happy for you (and her!) what a relief ! Dog knows you must need a break ! :grouphug:

Dog Dancer
July 4th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Excellent news! Yay for Jaida and you. Continued good healing Jaida darling.

rainbow
July 4th, 2007, 03:46 PM
WOO HOO......that's great news. :highfive: I hope Jaida continues to improve. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
July 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Just checked in with the vet...still fluid-free :D :D :D

FINGERS CROSSED!!!

(Thanks for all the :grouphug: and:highfive: and:fingerscr and:goodvibes: everyone!)

chico2
July 4th, 2007, 04:33 PM
I am so relieved,hopefully we'll soon see Jaida running around on her three legs:fingerscr

growler~GateKeeper
July 4th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I just checked in on this post & her blogspot- :highfive: way to go w/the rescue & sx

she's soo puurrty :lovestruck: love the baby pics she's a lil :angel:

glad to hear everything's going good:)

lots of :dog: do very well after amputation sx so I'm sure she will be fine esp since she has already had so much practise

keep us updated :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 4th, 2007, 11:48 PM
Finally! Things seem to be on the upswing for Jaida! :highfive: You must be feeling sooooooo much better, too! :D

:fingerscr and crossed :pawprint:s that the healing continues to go so well! The Pack sends lots of shnuffly kisses! :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog: :dog:

bendyfoot
July 5th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Yay, yay, yay!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

I couldn't possibly put enough :D in this post!

Jaida's coming home today, and is still fluid-free!!!:D

My heart feels so much lighter...this weight of worry has lifted!:cloud9:

I can't wait to see her and get some big sloppy kisses and hear all her stories...

We still have a long road to full recovery, and likely a few more weeks of her living in a crate, but the pendulum has finally swung in the "up" direction.
http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t98/geeziesmom/happydance3.gif

Dog Dancer
July 5th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Big paws up from us for Jaida. Such good news. We all wish her the best on her now speedy recovery!

chico2
July 5th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Crystal,that's great news,she will be soooo happy to be home,just as you obviously are:laughing:
Give her lots of hugs and bellyrubs from me:lovestruck:

Smiley14
July 5th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Oh my gosh, your last post just made me cry! That is AWESOME news!!!!!! Way to go Jaida!!!!!! Huge YAYS for getting your baby back home!!!!! :grouphug:

TeriM
July 5th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Such fabulous news :thumbs up . I wish you and Jaida continued success and a fast recovery :goodvibes: :fingerscr :goodvibes: .

Stacer
July 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Great news:highfive:. I'm sure she's glad to be back at home too!!

Lukka'sma
July 5th, 2007, 10:20 PM
So good to hear that things are looking up for Jaida. What a terrible thing for her to have gone through. Continued healing vibes being sent to her and Lukka and I wish her well with all thats still to come.

Frenchy
July 5th, 2007, 10:36 PM
wooohoo , speedy recovery Jaida ! And tell your mom to take pics (and post them here of course !)

hazelrunpack
July 5th, 2007, 10:44 PM
:highfive: Way to heal, Jaida!!!! Keep up the pawsome work! :thumbs up

Sshluppy kisses from the Pack and :grouphug:s all around!

luckypenny
July 6th, 2007, 12:07 AM
So happy to hear the good news. Hope she continues to heal quickly :fingerscr .

growler~GateKeeper
July 6th, 2007, 01:00 AM
Oh so happy to hear the good news:) , saw her pics on the process from begining to endish :lovestruck: she so purty. Must post new pics when she's home:highfive:

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hi everyone!!!

Thanks for celebrating with me last night!!!:crazy: :crazy: :crazy: :party: :party: :party:

Jaida is soooooo much better. She's happy, relaxed, comfie and FULL OF BEANS!!! She is just DYING for a good rip around the yard with her sister Gracie. We have to keep her onleash all the time or else she's be bouncing off the walls...and mostly we have to keep her crated, for her own safety...at least until the sutures come out. Her incisions/surgical site are looking soooo much better than on Monday when we had to go in to drain it...it's healthy, flat, dry...only a tiny bit of dampness has come out of the lower drain overnight. We are soooooooooo HAPPY!!!!!:D :D :D

Frenchy
July 6th, 2007, 12:43 PM
OMG ! That's one freaking big incision :sad: Poor Jaida :yell: Speedy recovery , I'm hoping everything will go well :fingerscr :pray: and next picture, I would like to see her face please :p

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Sorry, she was too wiggly...it was all I could do to get this one pic!!!:laughing: I'll take some pretty pics of her whole lovely self including her face this weekend.
And yes, it IS a freakin' big incision!!!:eek: But a nice, healthy, HEALING, freakin' big incision. :D

Frenchy
July 6th, 2007, 12:59 PM
But a nice, healthy, HEALING, freakin' big incision. :D

:laughing: Yes you're right. I does look good. So when will she be able to "let it all hang out" ? How long is the rest period ?

Dog Dancer
July 6th, 2007, 01:13 PM
That surgery looks really nice and clean now. I hate drains - they're so ooky and spooky. But they serve the job right! :grouphug: Speedy recovery Jaida so you can go play again soon. And yes, a head shot is required!

bendyfoot
July 6th, 2007, 01:37 PM
So when will she be able to "let it all hang out" ? How long is the rest period ?

Not totally sure. We're kind of going with "until the vet say's it's ok". I figure it will be at least until the stitches are out...but that could be as early as Monday/Tuesday...hopefully it will be ok by next weekend.

mummummum
July 6th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Bravo to Jaida the Wonderdog !!!!!
http://bestsmileys.com/cartoon/5.gif

Can hardly wait for the leaping and bounding zoomie pix !!

chico2
July 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Bendyfoot,I am sure everyone on this Forum is exstatic too,great news!!!
and yes,we need to see her beautiful face too.
Since she probably could not use her bendy-foot before(or did she?)she won't have any trouble on 3 legs..
:grouphug: to Jaida and your family!

Smiley14
July 6th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Her incision looks GREAT! Big, but great! :thumbs up Soooo happy for your continued good news!!!!

rainbow
July 6th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Woo Hoo Jaida !!! :highfive:

hazelrunpack
July 6th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Excellent news about the drainage and the swelling. And the incision is looking good! :thumbs up Big, but good!

Holy cow, I just never thought about how many stitches it would take to close something like that up--and I suppose there are many more internal ones that you can't even see! :eek: Dat's a lotta stitches! http://foolstown.com/sm/obm.gif :o

I'm glad she's finally on the mend, good and proper! It's about time you both got a decent break! :grouphug:

SableCollie
July 6th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Hooray!!!! :D :D :thumbs up I'm so glad she is doing well!

growler~GateKeeper
July 7th, 2007, 02:55 AM
:party: :party: :crazy: :party:

:grouphug: yea yea go jaida you rock! :highfive: :pawprint:

so happy the :angel: is doing so good :)

bendyfoot
July 9th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Here's the little patient...as promised, complete with a face! This pic is from this morning...after she got her stitches and drains out...yay!!!

We'll keep her quiet for a while still...don't want those bad ol' fluids building up again...but we're almost there...what a smile :lovestruck:

sugarcatmom
July 9th, 2007, 11:53 AM
OMG, Jaida is such a cutie! Look at that face! She looks so happy to be home. Way to go, you guys.

Frenchy
July 9th, 2007, 12:30 PM
She looks soo happy ! You're right , what a smile :cloud9: :fingerscr that the mean fluids don't come back, give her a big hug for me.

bendyfoot
July 9th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Since she probably could not use her bendy-foot before(or did she?)she won't have any trouble on 3 legs..

No, chico, she didn't really use her bendy-foot much before...it was too short, and bendy in the wrong place (her wrist was bent up towards her arm), and not bendy where it should have been (her elbow and wrist couldn't bend), in order to use it properly. She would prop up on it sometimes when she was tired or moving low to the ground to sniff or pee or dig...but then it just scraped.
She has a strong, muscley Popeye arm from most walking on three legs, so she continues to hop around like a champ!

~michelle~
July 9th, 2007, 02:12 PM
so glad shes doing well :)

chico2
July 9th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Awww,seeing her look so happy sends happy-shivers down my spine:thumbs up
You go girl!!:dog:

krdahmer
July 9th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Oh what a beautiful girl! And so brave! I feel all warm and fuzzy... so glad her recovery is going so well. Way to go Jaida! :goodvibes:

hazelrunpack
July 9th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Awww....there's that beautiful Jaida smile! :cloud9:

What great news! No stitches! No drain! :thumbs up

Way to go, Jaida! :highfive:

We've got 4 hands of :fingerscrs and 28 crossed :pawprint:s here, all sending you good luck, healing vibes, and "get well soon" wishes! :D

otter
July 9th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Yea!!! Jaida and Mom!!!

I read the beginning of Jaida's story way back when surgery was only in the planning stage then I took a break cause I couldn't stand the suspense and waiting to see everything turn out. Now i'm sooooooooo happy to read up on all the details and see that she is on the mend. What a huge incision!! and what an amazingly strong dog Jaida is for putting up with all that and coming out with that great smile on her face. And what an incredible Mom for putting up with all that and coming out of it smiling (I hope??)

Yea Jaida :highfive:
Yea Mom :highfive:

and tonnes of :dog: :dog: :dog: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :grouphug: :grouphug: for you all

rainbow
July 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
What a beautiful picture of your brave little girl. :cloud9: She looks so happy too. :lovestruck: I hope everything continues to go well. :fingerscr :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

bendyfoot
July 10th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Here's another pic from this morning...gosh it's nice to have her back to normal!!! She went UP a few stairs by herself this morning, AND jumped off the bed (which I wasn't happy about, and she let out a little yelp so I think it hurt a bit, but I'm glad she's feeling braver about her physical capabilities...)

Love4himies
July 10th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Beautiful picture of Jaida. She looks so happy, must be the love she gets:thumbs up . Will Jaida have any physical therapy to help her adjust?

bendyfoot
July 10th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Nope...she was "lucky" to have been born a tripod...her bad leg wasn't much help for getting around, so she's got a good strong front leg already. She'll have to relearn some balance, but I think she's got it figured out already!

Frenchy
July 10th, 2007, 12:16 PM
What a face , what a smile ! :cloud9: I'm glad she's back , and that must be a relief for you ! Jaida is very special to us all , she's our only pets.ca tripod dog ! (if I'm not mistaking) You go Jaida :thumbs up

chico2
July 10th, 2007, 04:24 PM
Aww,what I nice picture of her,you just want to give her a hug after all she's been through and you too:grouphug:

Jim Hall
July 10th, 2007, 04:28 PM
i had a cat with a amutade lower back leg named gimpy of course\
the only time you noticed it was when she would be looking for some sympathy and drag it behind her

bendyfoot
July 10th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Ha! I call Jaida "gimpy" sometimes too (and "bunny" and "hoppy" and "hopalongcassidy" and "stumpy")...with love of course! :lovestruck: :laughing:

heidiho
July 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM
What an adorable pup,and great story..That is remarkable,but then animals always are.

Smiley14
July 10th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Oh, that happy face makes me want to cry again! With happiness this time! She looks WONDERFUL! Her face just looks so happy! What a smile! :lovestruck: I bet she's happy to be feeling better! Thank you so much for the updates!!! :grouphug:

hazelrunpack
July 11th, 2007, 12:22 AM
Jaida has just the bestest ever smile :lovestruck:

I'm so glad she's getting back to normal! :grouphug: I'll bet not as glad as you are, though, bendyfoot! :p :thumbs up :grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
July 11th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Yea Jaida!!! :lovestruck: :party: :party:

So glad everythings' going well:fingerscr for the future. I know she'll be fine on 3 :pawprint: since doing so well before.

Such a beauty & so happy :cloud9:

bendyfoot
July 19th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Hi gang...just a quick update...

Jaida had a wonderful time yesterday. We've gradually been permitting her more exercise, and have also allowed her to be out of her crate during the day. So far we've seen no complications (knock on wood). Her stamina/strength still needs to build some, but she's doing great.

We let her and Gracie FINALLY have a good rip around the yard. The girls seemed so happy to be able to play and enjoy each other. Jaida also found some wonderfully smelly things to roll in...she was quite content. I suspect we'll be back to our nice long walks in a matter of weeks.

Enjoy the pics!

Jim Hall
July 19th, 2007, 09:47 AM
That's great news I bet she was delighted to get out and romp around

Love4himies
July 19th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Great news, they look sooo happy!

Hunter's_owner
July 19th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Those are great pics. They really do look very very happy:cloud9: They must have been sooooooo excited:D

Frenchy
July 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM
awww, great pics ! They look so happy ! :cloud9:

chico2
July 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
OMG,what wonderful happy pics of Jaida,after all she's been through:dog: and you.Thank you for posting them,made my day!!

Dog Dancer
July 19th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I am soooooo happy to see these pics of Jaida. She looks so comfy with herself and so full of energy. Way to go Jaida and mom.:thumbs up Excellent stuff that dog is made of.

luckypenny
July 19th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Jaida looks deliriously happy in all the photos, especially the second one. What a wonderful job you've done caring for her...and such a fast recovery. Awesome! :highfive:

want4rain
July 19th, 2007, 05:23 PM
you know, i wasnt here through most of this but i felt so rotten after reading up on the whole dog fighting thing.... if there is ever a need for warm fuzzies, you guys are the ones to give it!! that took some amazing strength and courage to go through with this. Jaida is such a TROOPER!! dogs are some amazing creatures!!

thank you for sharing this amazing story with everyone. :lovestruck: :lovestruck: :lovestruck:

-ashley

SableCollie
July 19th, 2007, 06:34 PM
Wow! Looks like jaida is doing great! I'm so happy for her! :)

rainbow
July 19th, 2007, 07:31 PM
It is so heartwarming to see her recover so quickly and having so much fun. :highfive: Jaida is one brave and beautiful girl. :lovestruck:

Stacer
July 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Awwwww. I'm so happy that everything has worked out perfectly for all of you!! I haven't checked this thread in a while, this is fabulous. Great job to you and your family and Jaida of course!!!

happycats
July 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Awwww what a sweetie!!:lovestruck: She looks AMAZING, she seems to have bounced right back, and taken this all in stride!! (We have much to learn from our animal friends )
If this was a human, they would need years of physio, and Phyco therapy to get through this. Then you look at Jaida, and see the pure love and joy of life in her eyes, so happy just to be feeling good enough to run free!! Brings a tear to my eye!!

YEAHHHHH JAIDA, your an inspiration to all!!:love:

hazelrunpack
July 19th, 2007, 10:09 PM
There's nothing happier than a rolling dog! :cloud9: I'm so glad she's feeling better! :grouphug:

H.P.
July 19th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Whew!~ I am so glad to hear that Jaida is on the mend! She is looking great :highfive:

growler~GateKeeper
July 20th, 2007, 12:31 AM
It's good to see her happy & playing w/her :dog: buddy! I'm so glad she's doing so good.:grouphug:

happycats
July 23rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
How's sweet baby Jaida doing? It's time for a Jaida fix.....please:D

rainbow
July 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
Oh yeah.....I agree. Pics in the photo forum would be great. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 23rd, 2007, 10:29 PM
I agree---it's been way too long since we last saw that beautiful smile! :D

bendyfoot
July 25th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Boy, I go away for a few days and I discover Jaida has a fan club!!! :laughing: (I guess I knew that already though...)

Sorry, I've been sick for about 5 days, and haven't taken any pics lately. BUT I promise to get some good ones this week and will post asap...:D

She's been great, though. With the exception of the shaved spots, I feel like this is all behind us know, and that Jaida has all but forgotten all the yucky parts. She's too busy loving life and having fun. Had a nice (short) walk in the woods for the first time since the surgeries (got a bit winded, but had fun) and also went next door to see Daisy, her retreiver buddy...they were extatic to see each other and had fun playing.

happycats
July 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Awwww I'm so happy Jaida is getting better! What a sweetheart:lovestruck: and your an:angel: for being such a great furparent!! :)

Frenchy
July 25th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Awwww I'm so happy Jaida is getting better! What a sweetheart:lovestruck: and your an:angel: for being such a great furparent!! :)

I second that !!! :highfive:

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM
As promised...

boy, she's cute!:lovestruck:

(Boy, I'm biased!:laughing: )

hazelrunpack
July 26th, 2007, 09:57 AM
As promised...

boy, she's cute!:lovestruck:

(Boy, I'm biased!:laughing: )

Nah...no bias there! Totally justified! She's sooooooo cute! :cloud9: :lovestruck:

That smile is to die for! She always looks so happy. I'm glad she's getting to play with her buddy again.

Sorry you've been sick, though. :grouphug: Stress do you suppose? I think you could all use a restful, stress-free vacation! :thumbs up

happycats
July 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM
* big sigh* :lovestruck: your not biased at all, she is CUTE!!
She looks so happy, and full of love and life!

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 10:43 AM
This gal does love her life. It amazes me to no end. It's hard to describe, but I tried to yesterday on our blog. I'll share it here.

__________________________________________________ ______________
Crystal here.

I'm sure Jaida would like to share some of her stories with you today, but she seems to have developed amnesia.

What I mean to say, is that she is bursting to tell you about how she went for a walk in the woods with Gracie and her mums, and how she went to Daisy's house and that they were so happy to see each other and play again, and how she rolled in the grass, and chased some balls, and played keep-away from her mums and her sister, and chased her cats, and visited with her aunties Tara and Patty, and ate corn on the cob and....

I don't think she remembers all the craziness that happened over the past few months. She still has some scabs on her chest from her almost-all-healed incision, her fur is still patchy and fuzzy and growing in, and her stamina isn't what it used to be. She definitely looks different. She certainly must feel different. But I can't detect in her any acknowledgement of the change, or any remorse/pain/grief/anger/sense of loss...nothing. Like I said, it's as if she's forgotten.

Either that, or she is demonstrating one of the most amazing and enviable gifts that only animals (dogs especially) seem to be blessed with: the ability to forgive the past, take everything in life (good or bad) as just one more thing to experience, and then get back to the important business of loving the life you have at that very moment.

Jaida is a source of wonder and happiness for me, each and every day. I can't help but smile when she's in the room, and over the smallest things, like the distinct sound of her tripod hop-hop-shuffle on the hardwood floors or the way she gamely (and slowly) walks up the stairs at bedtime, or her new propeller-butt running style. It's all pretty run-of-the-mill doggie stuff that I'm in love with, even for a three-legged dog. But it just feels like every little thing about her, and the way she goes about her life, is special.

I think partly it's because, in all likelihood, she would be long-dead from pneumonia had she not found us in time and I can't help but think what a terrible loss it would have been had she died. I feel lucky that she chose us as her moms and that we were able to give her the help she needed. And partly it's because she lives her life so completely, and with such joy, and with no ugly parts of her past weighing her down. I don't know. It's very hard to put into words. She touches my heart in a way that no other creature ever has. Her presence in our lives, despite all the days and nights of tears and fear and heartache and sleeplessness, has been a gift right from the start. We wouldn't trade her for anything.

happycats
July 26th, 2007, 11:07 AM
OMG that is so sweet, made me cry! She truly is an inspiration.
The world would be a much better place if mankind could could have the strength, courage, unconditional love, trust, loyalty and zest for life that Jaida has !!:angel: Yeah Jaida.

I know it's a little early in her recovery, but have you ever thought about taking her to a place (hospital, rehabilitaion centre) for recent amputee's, I think she would be an amazing example of how life can be after an amputation! I think Jaida would help in their recovery in so many ways!

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I would absolutely LOVE to do something like that with her. I have a teacher friend who has already asked us to visit her special-needs class so Jaida can share her "special super-powers" (i.e. her differences that make her special) with the kids.

But FIRST: obedience classes (she's gotten off too easy so far) and Canine Good Citizen.

Then we can share her with others. :)

happycats
July 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM
I would absolutely LOVE to do something like that with her. I have a teacher friend who has already asked us to visit her special-needs class so Jaida can share her "special super-powers" (i.e. her differences that make her special) with the kids.

But FIRST: obedience classes (she's gotten off too easy so far) and Canine Good Citizen.

Then we can share her with others. :)

That's great!!!
It wouldn't be fair to keep her all to yourself:D you need to share her, and her "special super-powers" with all:love:

Dracko
July 26th, 2007, 11:26 AM
I would love to see a video of her running and playing. I keep trying to imagine how she gets around. Can she keep up to the other dogs?

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 11:37 AM
She's not quite as fast, and tires more quickly, but she definitely holds her own with Gracie, who is a super-crazy-fast runner. I'll try to get a video and post it....it's pretty neat to watch...

krdahmer
July 26th, 2007, 11:59 AM
AW and AAAWWWW...:lovestruck:

She is such a special dog! I am always amazed at how our furry family members can live in the moment, and bounce back from the most harrowing experiences... if only we could take a little of that with us wherever we go...

Thanks for sharing this whole ordeal with us... she is such an inspiration to us all! (And visiting that class is such a great idea! The more children who learn that pets can live with disabilities too, the more parents who will be hounded not to give up on sick pets!! Win win! :thumbs up )

Frenchy
July 26th, 2007, 12:49 PM
awww , she's totally cute !!! :lovestruck: And I love the text you posted. So, so true , it's unbelivable all they can bring us ! :cloud9: Give the girl a big kiss and hug for me. :lovestruck:

rainbow
July 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks for sharing your blog with us and the pics of beautiful Jaida. :lovestruck: She is such an inspiration and I love the idea of taking her to a rehab centre for amputees. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
July 26th, 2007, 04:22 PM
Jaida really was very lucky to meet you, bendyfoot! :angel: Thanks for never losing sight of her potential! :highfive:

bendyfoot
July 26th, 2007, 04:27 PM
http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=6387807481012993000

Drako,

here's a link to an old video of her, from May, before the surgeries. She still has her "boo-boo leg", but it's not touching the ground at all while she's running (she really pumped it, but it mostly looks like it's just flopping around). I'll try to get a newer one this week, it would be good to update it anyways...

and an old one of her going down the stairs:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=7976988283475424946

It's funny...it's actually harder for her to do stairs now...not because of the lost arm, that's actually better, but because her body is longer. She really has to take them at an angle now....

chico2
July 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Bendyfoot,Jaidas story and you for giving her the love she deserves just makes my eyes well up,she is such a beautiful girl and I am deleriously happy for her,I can sooo understand how you feel for her:pawprint:

Dracko
July 27th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Txs for directing me to the videos. Unbelievable how she can run that fast and you can see she isn't using that leg at all even back then.

Like everyone else I am so happy Jaida and you ended up in each other's lives. :thumbs up

bendyfoot
July 27th, 2007, 10:14 AM
http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/?action=view&current=8671a5a7.flv

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/mom2jaida/?action=view&current=41f4d8e7.flv

Here's two videos from last night...

happycats
July 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
OMG what great videos, looks like it hasn't slowed her at all!!

Jim Hall
July 27th, 2007, 11:14 AM
i am always amazed that dogs and cats can tolerate a loss of a limb and still play and run like nothing happened congratulations she looks just fine

krdahmer
July 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
See that bendy foot was just slowing her down! She looks so happy now!:dog:

Love4himies
July 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
That Jaida looks sooo happy no matter what she goes through. I agree she would be a good candidate to visit rehab centres.

chico2
July 27th, 2007, 04:46 PM
OMG,my heart is melting,how great it is to see her running,does she ever get that frisbee though:laughing:

bendyfoot
July 30th, 2007, 10:16 AM
:laughing: Chico, nope, not ever, especially when Gracie's around...
She'll grab it once it's on the ground or steal it from Gracie, but she hasn't figured out the "catching" thing yet...things tossed at her tend to bonk off her schnozz...

SEVIIN
July 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Hey, god you have a beautiful dog. She looks just like Rayne except Rayne has floppy ears :D From the sounds of it, your Jaida is doing wonderful and she looks as though she feels that way too. Hugs to you and your puppy :grouphug:

TeriM
July 31st, 2007, 03:25 AM
Wow, she has recovered amazingly and looks soooo happy :cloud9: :) .

bendyfoot
July 31st, 2007, 10:51 AM
OMG Chico, I wish you could have seen her with the frisbee this morning. Gracie wasn't into it, so Jaida had free reign...

I'd toss the frisbee, and Jaida would go barrelling across the yard after it, but she can't quite stop on a dime or bend low quickly, so each and every time she got up to the frisbee laying on the ground (she's still running at full-speed), she'd grab it but be unable to recover from the low stance...so she does full-out-butt-in-the-air-legs-flailing sommersaults, then lands on the ground panting and looking totally pleased with herself. She musta done this a dozen times. TOOOOOO funny! :laughing:

mummummum
July 31st, 2007, 11:00 AM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ~ such joy she takes in life ! And she is SUCH a clown ~ love the ear-to-ear grins !

chico2
July 31st, 2007, 04:15 PM
Crystal,wish I could have seen her too,she is an amazing dog,as you are an amazing mom:love:

Frenchy
July 31st, 2007, 10:33 PM
So she's getting the hang of it ? :laughing:

SableCollie
July 31st, 2007, 10:39 PM
Wow Jaida looks great!! And she sure can run! Wish I could have seen her doing somersaults!! :)

heyjude11
August 1st, 2007, 04:42 AM
I just finished reading Jaida's (and your) story from beginning to end and checking out her blog. What an amazing dog, with equally amazing parents. All of you are truly an inspiration. Jaida sure knew what she was doing when she picked you! I wish everyone would take their responsibility to their animal companions as seriously as you do.
Best of luck to all of you.
Just want to add kudos to your vet for being a wonderful, caring man who was more interested in the welfare of your dog than the $$$.

bendyfoot
August 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
Jaida the frisbee superstar (http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-6614016750697656106)

Not quite as "flippy" as some of her attempts, but it still made me giggle!

hazelrunpack
August 1st, 2007, 11:06 AM
Excellent! I was actually able to download 8 seconds and play it! :thumbs up

She's doing so well, bendyfoot! And she looks like she's having a ball :cloud9:

Jim Hall
August 1st, 2007, 11:20 AM
too funny!! her running technique is something else

marlasmemory
August 1st, 2007, 11:30 AM
What a star she is and such a happy dog. Kudo's to you for loving her and giving her a wonderful life.:thumbs up

chico2
August 1st, 2007, 04:51 PM
Aww that's soo cute,almost made me cry,but only happy-tears for beautiful Jaida:cloud9: