Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

does your dog dig??

Jennifar
June 14th, 2007, 07:44 AM
I've recently discovered that my mittelschnautzer Reks likes to dig alot!!! digs until my wooden door the wood came off. And when i tried to pull it away, it went back there and dig again..u all share the same experience as me?? Can tell me what to do? :)

Thanks

luckypenny
June 14th, 2007, 01:53 PM
Is he getting enough exercise? My Penny used to dig only when she was bored so we upped her playtime and her walk time. Now when the dogs are indoors, they're too tired to get into trouble and nap instead.

hazelrunpack
June 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Exercise really does help. The more energy they can expend outside or in supervised inside games, the less energy they have to get into mischief later. :o

Inside distractions like Kongs filled with peanut butter might also help entertain Reks.

Longblades
June 14th, 2007, 08:00 PM
I think that is a breed that is particularly interested in digging and my breed is not but what worked for me was to put poochie's dog poop in her recent excavations. She did not like to dig in her own dirt so moved to a new spot. When she got to a spot where I did not mind digging I let her go to it. Keeping her in a cool place also helped as she dug in the summer in order to get down to cool ground to lie in.

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Lobo likes to dig in the yard, so we have designated a spot in the corner of the yard as a special "Lobo digging spot". We encourage him to dig there, if he digs anywhere else, we just tell him no, and bring him to his digging spot and praise him for digging there.

If your dog is digging at the wood on your door, he could be bored and want to go out, and making sure he gets enough exercise and things to do can help, or if he only does it when he is left alone, he could have separation anxiety...it's hard to tell from your post. :)