Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Can we feed puppy with white bread?

Jennifar
June 14th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Hi,

Can we feed puppy with our food such plain white bread or cookies? Is there any human food that is fine to feed out puppy with?

Thanks!

papillonmama
June 14th, 2007, 09:11 AM
Hi,

Can we feed puppy with our food such plain white bread or cookies? Is there any human food that is fine to feed out puppy with?

Thanks!

Hello,

there is a list somewhere of all the foods that can be dangerous to dogs, there's asearch button beside the new posts button above.

sorry, I'm just not good with remembering all that stuff.

I don't think that white bread is bad for them, but I wouldn't use it as a daily diet, dogs need balanced nutrition, lots of people give home cooked diet to their dog, but you must research it carefully, consider getting a book about it.

Good luck, and welcome.

Jennifar
June 14th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Thanks a lot! :)

jessi76
June 14th, 2007, 09:56 AM
white bread is dangerous - stay away from any that contain enriched flour. in fact, dogs don't need to eat bread, period. not a good idea IMO. an occassional crust of a sandwich is probably fine, however, a diet regularly containing breads, especially white bread, will probably just lead to an overweight and malnourished animal.

please stick to a proper diet - there are plenty of high qualtiy dog foods on the market.

gypsy_girl
June 14th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Raw carrots have my vote, as most dogs love them, and they are good for them. Something to keep in mind, is that the taste buds of dogs are not as complex as ours, and to them a carrot may "taste" much the same as white bread, so you are not really "denying" them something they love.

SableCollie
June 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Plain white bread and human cookies are just empty calories and sugar. A tiny bit of whole grain bread is okay for an occasional treat, but when your puppy is growing, s/he really needs proper nutrition from an excellent quality puppy food, or properly balanced raw or homemade diet. There are also many healthy dog treats out there, usually not the cheap ones sold in grocery stores, but some of the pet supply stores will have a selection of higher quality treats, just remember to use sparingly, and if you feed a good kibble, you can use pieces of his/her kibble as treats.

My dog loves carrots as mentioned, and she also likes frozen green beans, and bits of cooked sweet potato as treats.

Bentley'sMom
June 14th, 2007, 07:01 PM
There is no sound nutritional reason for humans or animals to eat white bread.

rainbow
June 15th, 2007, 02:43 AM
There is no sound nutritional reason for humans or animals to eat white bread.

I agree and I certainly hope it's not human cookies you're giving your puppy. I would start feeding him a good quality food such as Canidae or Innova. Check out the food forum for lots of good information. :)

SnowDancer
June 15th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Save the white bread for when your pup has eaten something that you are worried about and hope will "pass" through system. When I found my pup with a wide thread hanging from his canine tooth and proceeding down his throat I took him to emergency. He was put on a type of laxative which had to be mixed with the famous Wonder Bread (this stuff NEVER turned mouldy!?) while we waiting to see what would happen. Fortunately, the thread passed. That said, my guy does like a bit of Italian bread now and then but within limits. I don't give him people cookies though - only way to prevent that though was not to buy them for my husband since he did and will.

Goldens4Ever
June 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
BAD HUMAN FOODS FOR DOGS:
Grapes and Raisins: Grapes and raisins can cause kidney failure in dogs. As little as a single serving of raisins can kill a dog.
Onions: Onions destroy red blood cells and can cause anemia.
Chocolate: Chocolate can cause seizures, coma and death. Bakerís chocolate is the most dangerous. A dog can consume milk chocolate and appear to be fine because it is not as concentrated, but it is still dangerous.
Coffee, Coffee grounds, tea and tea bags: Drinks/foods containing caffeine cause many of the same symptoms chocolate causes
Macadamia Nuts and Walnuts: Macadamia nuts can cause weakness, muscle tremor and paralysis. Limit all other nuts as they are not good for dogs in general, their high phosphorous content is said to possibly lead to bladder stones. Exception to this rule seems to be PEANUT BUTTER. However- always use Salt/Sugar free ORGANIC Peanut butter. Use only ORGANIC peanut butter as regular peanut butter has lots of unnatural ingredients.
Animal fat and fried foods: Excessive fat can cause Pancreatitis.
Bones: Cooked (baked, broasted, boiled, SMOKED) bones can splinter and damage a dogís internal organs. Raw bones or plain/natural shinbones (no filling) should always be supervised as, a piece can always break off and cause problems. Steer clear of rawhide, pig ears, hooves, & those alike.
Tomatoes: Tomatoes can cause tremors and heart arrhythmias. Tomato plants and the most toxic, but tomatoes themselves are also unsafe. *(This is debatableósome good dog foods contain whole tomatoes).
Avocados: The fruit, pit and plant are all toxic. They can cause difficulty breathing and fluid accumulation in the chest, abdomen and heart. The oil from avocados is said to be healthy by some.
Nutmeg: Nutmeg can cause tremors, seizures and death
Apples, Cherries, Peaches PITS: and similar fruit are great for your dog - HOWEVER, the PITS & SEEDS of these fruits contain cyanide, which is poisonous to dogs as well as humans. Unlike humans, dogs do not know to stop eating at the core/pit and easily ingest them. It can also become lodged in the intestines and kill the dog in 24 hours with no warning.
Salt: Excessive salt intake can cause kidney problems.
Mushrooms: Can be deadly- never let your pets chew on mushrooms found in your yard.

SAFE HUMAN FOODS FOR DOGS:
Peeled apples (the skins can be hard on their digestive systems), carrots, peaches, blueberries, pears, alfalfa, sprouts, kale, green beans, peas, watercress, bananas (in very small amounts), celery, pumpkin, sweet potatoes, peeled potatoes (the skin of a potato is toxic to dogs if there is green on it), butternut/buttercup squash, bananas, cranberries, cooked eggs (or organic raw eggs), plain natural organic yogurt, Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, plain natural applesauce, olive oil, canola oil, meat & much more!