Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing in Crate

LarryDog
June 14th, 2007, 08:28 AM
I have 2 female shih tzu 18 weeks old (sisters). Angel is a perfect dog but Princess will not stop peeing in the crate. I have removed the bed from the crate and they are now on the plastic floor. When I take her out she has a real problem getting her feet wet in the grass. I put her in the grass and she runs for the door. I will try anything at this point. Thanks,
LarryDog:

HojoCan
June 14th, 2007, 08:40 AM
i know its sounds cruel but dip her nose in it everytime she does. The smell of it on her nose will drive her crazy. Wont take her long to realize what she's doing wrong.:fingerscr

jessi76
June 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM
I'm a firm believer pups are entitled to cozy comforts, even if you need to run the washing machine a bit more, so perhaps using some soft beach towels would work as crate bedding. this way you can rotate, and they are easily washed.

that said, be sure to clean the crate REALLY WELL with an enzyme cleaner - Nature's Miracle is a good one - sold at pet supply shops. this will neutralize the urine scent. even though you may not smell it, your pup might still be able to.

also, do you keep the pups on leash when outside for a potty break? if not, I'd recommend doing so. this will keep the one pup from running back to the door. be sure to praise like they've won the olympics when they do potty outside - make a BIG DEAL of it - YAYYYY good girls! and even give a small treat if you want. make them WANT to go outside.

my dog is 1/2 basenji, so he's anti-wetness too - hates rain, wet grass, etc... I simply kept him on leash as a pup, praised him highly for going out in it, and make sure he understood that peeing OUTSIDE was the only option available.... rain or shine. he was less than thrilled, but learned to go pee FAST, and get back into the warm dry house! lol.

lastly, it takes consistancy, a set schedule (for potty breaks and crate time), a bit of extra cleaner (laundry detergent and crate cleaner) and a boatload of patience, but eventually pups DO learn.

I hope this helped at least a little... can we see pics of the little ones? I bet they're adorable!

jessi76
June 14th, 2007, 08:56 AM
i know its sounds cruel but dip her nose in it everytime she does. The smell of it on her nose will drive her crazy. Wont take her long to realize what she's doing wrong.:fingerscr

never EVER do this. it doesn't just "sound" cruel, it IS cruel. please don't ever suggest this, puppies are babies who need to be taught the right way with positive methods. positive methods which will help develop and nurture a strong healthy relationship - rubbing noses in anything promotes fear and anxiety, not to mention NOTHING is learned.

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 09:08 AM
How long are they left in the crate when this happens?

Have you made sure that there are no medical issues with Princess?
She may have an infection, or be ill, please take her to the vet to make sure everything is okay.

Maybe she doesn't like sharing a crate, so try separate crates, or better yet get rid of the crates and block them off in a tiled area, like the kitchen or basement with piddle pads, or news paper in a corner.

bendyfoot
June 14th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Keep in mind that the size of the crate is important. She should only have enough room to lay down to sleep comfortably, not walk around. If there is too much space, they'll sleep on one end and pee/poop in the other end.

And PLEASE don't rub her nose in the mess. Ineffective, they have no idea why you're doing it and it's just upsetting. Likely to the make the crate a very unpleasant place for her.

lilmegshepherds
June 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Are they sharing the same crate?

If yes please get seperate crates for them! They can be side by side but seperated.

How big is Princess' crate?

It should only be big enough to sit, lay down and turn around. If it is bigger then she can comfortably pee in a corner and sleep in another. Most dogs will not pee where they sleep or eat. Start feeding her in the crate as well!

Please do not rub her nose in anything. This is the old farmers way of house training. My parents still do this and I trained my puppy alot faster then they did theirs...not to mention their puppy would hide from them. Never good for a bond that will last many years.

A schedule is also an excellent idea.

LarryDog
June 14th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Thank you for your help. I really have tried everything you have suggested. She is in good health and was at the Vets a few days ago. I tried putting them in seperate crates but that made both very unhappy. I tried puppy pads but she thinks that is a toy and it ends up in 100 peices.

lilmegshepherds
June 14th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Thank you for your help. I really have tried everything you have suggested. She is in good health and was at the Vets a few days ago. I tried putting them in seperate crates but that made both very unhappy. I tried puppy pads but she thinks that is a toy and it ends up in 100 peices.

They will be unhappy for a day or two but they will get use to it. Also if you keep them together then your other doggy will learn the habit and you will have two peers....

I know it is hard but trust me it is for the best.

They can still play together and have time together just not in the crate.

happycats
June 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
is this an option? get rid of the crates and block them off in a tiled area, like the kitchen or basement with piddle pads, or news paper in a corner.

How long are you crating them?

Shaykeija
June 14th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I have a Shih Tzu also and I have her trained for both outside and on pee pads. When my 80 year old father moved in with me , Tyra peed on the pad but her bum missed the pad and peed on the floor. My Dad said I should push her nose into it and smack her on the nose with a newspaper. :frustrated: I waited until he went for a pee and then went into the bathroom and took a peak. Yep he missed the toilet. So I rolled up the newspaper and give him a gentle whack on the head. I startled him and he laughed and said he guessed his house breaking advise was a little stern. Moral of this story do not do to your dogs what you would not want done to you.:p

we3beagles
June 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM
Taking the padding in the crate out is temporary, but should be done until house and crate trained. They will pee on it and push it into a corner so they don't have to sleep in it. Take the bedding out. She will not be hurt by it and I agree they should be in seperate crates. They should each have their own safe place to retreat to that is their own.

Is she maybe allergic to grass. Does she get spots or weepy eyes from being in the grass? If not she should definitly be on leash and when she goes outside praise her like crazy. Does she pee on walks? Maybe she doesn't like peeing in the grass. One of my dogs preferred the sidewalk.

aussiemedogs
June 17th, 2007, 08:57 PM
Every dog is different, don't rub the nose in it, don't put on a tiled floor when this gets wet...very slippery and dangerous. Do seperate the 2 of them and wait it out. My last one of 4 had just stopped at 5 months of age, and still sometimes has accidents in the house you have to be patient and watchful.

The only thing I can say about mine is that she likes something under her feet...usually a small carpet in the garage gets it, thankfully its washable! but we have gone from the crate to the garage and now even sometimes outside. If were out on a walk she sometimes goes but much prefers the carpet in the garage! The rest of the house is hardwood! (THANK GOD)!!!

~michelle~
June 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
does your vet know of this problem? did they take a urine sample, because it could be a bladder infection
again check the size of the crate
your dogs do need separate crates.
they each need their own space
part of the problem may be having both of them in the same crate and this will cause other problems later. you sometimes have to watch your little fur critter be unhappy for a short period of time but it will do them a world of good in the end. each of my dogs has their own crate and they appreciate this separate space. it will help her with her independence.

tarasmom
June 21st, 2007, 04:44 AM
Have you considered litter box training for your pup? I have Tara trained to use her " potty" and its awsome! She has her special " toilet" to use indoors.I never have to worry about running to the door to let her, bad weather or poop & scooping. It was the best thing I ever did.