Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Mini daschund jumper

cmanton
June 13th, 2007, 11:59 AM
So, I have a 5 month old miniature daschund puppy, Izzy. Everyone I talk to tells me the importance of preventing them from jumping because it really hurts their backs. Unfortunately, it's harder to stop her than I had thought.

One of her favorite pasttimes is zooming across the house and jumping EVERYWHERE. Sometimes it's not even onto furniture - she just jumps straight into the air. While it's adorable now, I'm really concerned that it's a bad habit I need to stop before she hurts herself.

I would appreciate any help on how to keep her from jumping.

SnowDancer
June 13th, 2007, 05:46 PM
With great difficulty. My first guy who apparently had such bad neck/back disc disease he never should have walked, absolutely loved to dance like a circus dog - and of course his way to beg for food was to stand as straight as possible and quiver at the strain on his back. A nightmare. He had his first back "event" at age 1 1/2. I would start by getting a couple of ramps if you can (or making them if you are handy) - would strongly suggest these over little steps. Your pup is young enough that he might take easily to the ramps. He will calm down a bit as he gets older, but Dachshunds are extremely stubborn and very strong-willed. My 2 special guys - both of course with the seriously bad backs - were super Alpha angels. I would also try to block the stairs - this assuming that your pup can't haul himself up and swing over the gate and gently lower himself - obviously I had this problem. Then there is the pushing of the chair over to the counter to swing up to get food (unless the willing cat was available). You may have to tether him to you for a bit to try and get him under control. What will work of course - is a back "event" - the very last thing that you want to happen. Please keep weight under control as well - will become harder after puberty - and these dogs are the gourmets of gourmands. Also watch if your pup starts limping on front paws - if it isn't something in paw - this is a sign of calcified discs pressing on the neck - found out this the hard way. I love the mini Dachshunds with all of my heart. Now though we have an American Eskimo - a breed which is in fact used for dancing in the circus. He is a brilliant pup - but fortunately lacking the military cunning of the Dachshunds so I am one step ahead. He is now 38 months old and I still can't get used to those VERY long legs poking me in the face - too used to my 10 lb. guys with short legs - and the Biggest Dogs I have ever had.

angelinazzz
June 15th, 2007, 11:37 AM
just for info how much does he weight?

cmanton
June 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
She is 5 months and weights almost 8 pounds.

whitbit317
June 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
I don't think you have too much to worry about yet. Let her be a puppy and jump, just watch it on heights and stuff. I've got two doxies, one is seven and the other I just got and is 12 weeks. The older dog has mellowed out a lot and has never had any back trouble. I think she'll probably grow out of the habit of jumping as she gets some age on her. There's really nothing to be concerned about, unless she's jumping from high places, which I would discourage.