Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Changes in my boy!!

Winston
June 13th, 2007, 07:09 AM
I have noticed a huge change in Winston the past month! It may sound crazy but he must be getting old! I dont know what others think old is! I am not really sure..It is strange because Winston is a very hyper dog! has been since day 1...Always have to be on him and consistant with training because he is really smart...however lately I notice suttle changes...like not as eager to get up! or in the backyard he will lay down and watch me garden?? he always was very playful in the yard..not that I am complaining because I never thought I would see the day! He is 7 1/2 now....

I took him to Woofstock and was really worried about driving to Toronto and then maybe having to come right home because he has never been around so many dogs! Doesnt he totally throw me and behaved PERFECT!! I could not have asked for better behaviour! Even my friend asked me what was up with him because he is usually more active!!

I am taking him to the vet today to get his checkup and shots and will mention this to them.

Just wondering if those of you with dogs noticed anything like this at a certain age? when do dogs become seniors?

Cindy

luckypenny
June 13th, 2007, 08:24 AM
I don't like to think 7 1/2 is a senior yet...just think that all that hard work, training, and consistency has finally paid off :D . Our only senior dog we had was 16 and he didn't show it until he was 15 1/2 :) so I can't help you out with that question.

I'm glad you had a great weekend with him.

ps if you begin to miss all that hyperness, perhaps it's time to add a crazy puppy to the family :D ?

Winston
June 13th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Thank you LuckyPenny! I have been wanting to add to my fur family for awhile but my house just isnt set up for another dog! I keep saying when I move!! I have been wanting to foster for German Shepherd Rescue for awhile but just cant do it yet! Hoping to move on sometime this year or next soo maybe a new addition then!! I also want to have a rescue in a few years when things in my life settle down a little...so also looking for a big piece of land! (going to buy a lottery ticket today too!)

Winston is a great dog! It has just been quite a change! One I am not used too!

Cindy

mummummum
June 13th, 2007, 09:49 AM
I can see that with Winston. My last grrrrl Tai and my current grrrls were super-zoomie non-stop from puppyhood right up until 7-ish. They still have lots of energy at playtime/ swim time but they don't go careening around the house anymore or constantly begging me to bounce balls off walls for them :crazy: .

crazydays
June 13th, 2007, 10:04 AM
It was so funny when I read this post. I had the exact thoughts with respect to my dog-Cagney. She is a 7 year old Standard Schnauzer. She was an extremely busy dog all these years and yes we fell we are now "in the glory years" with her. In fact we did introduce a new pup because the timing seemed right- English Springer!

Enjoy Winston!!!!!!! You have earned this!!!!!!!!!!:cloud9: