Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with deerflies!!

bendyfoot
June 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

can anyone recommend a safe, non-toxic (i.e. no deet or anything) repellant for my dogs, that won't harm my cats either? We walk our dogs in the woods and the deer and horseflies are just brutal lately, and they are particularly attracted to dark-coated Jaida for some reason. We spend half the walks swatting the darn things off the poor dogs. I think they bother us more than the girls, but I'd like to spare them getting bitten if I can.

Ideas?? I was thinking eucalyptus oil?

SableCollie
June 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
You have to be very careful with essential oils around cats, as they can be toxic to kitties. Some fly sprays made for horses are approved for dogs, it will say on the bottle whether they are ok for dogs. My grandpa's akita was a fly magnet, and that's what he used. I don't know how they are for cats though. I think there are also some dog-specific fly repellents out there. I googled "dog fly spray DEET free", and found this (http://www.doctordog.com/store/productInfo.aspx?productid=DDB), it says safe for dogs and cats. I use the same repellent on my dog that I use on myself, it's called "Quit buggin' me" or something like that...it's all natural.

jessi76
June 12th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I highly recommend the following product... I have one, and bought one for my friends and family... it's GREAT. and really works! the deer and horse flies are vicious in my area also, and this little gadget makes my walks bearable. granted, you need to walk around w/ a racquet, but it does work.

http://www.stupid.com/stat/ZAPP.html

This thing is evil. It shouldn't be this much fun to kill little, innocent bugs. BUT IT IS!

You've seen those electric bug zappers at outdoor restaurants and such, right? Every now and then, you hear a sharp "ZAP," telling you that a fly or mosquito has just been toasted.

Well, some malicious inventor has put this bug-zapping technology into a tennis racquet! It's easy to use... it's effective... it's good exercise... and it's fun!.....