Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

brave new world?

badger
June 12th, 2007, 08:38 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/12/science/12dog.html?_r=1&ref=science&oref=slogin

mummummum
June 12th, 2007, 09:24 AM
A lone voice of reason... "...Mr. Derr said. “These people are trying to use DNA tests to solve problems of their own making.”

I can understand this ..."Many breeders hope this new effort to corral nature will weed out the numerous recessive diseases that plague purebred dogs after generations of human-imposed inbreeding"

But we all know it will end up used for this... "Mary-Jo Winters, a poodle breeder, uses a DNA coat-color test to ensure there are no genes for brown fur lurking beneath her black-and-cream-colored dogs. "I don’t want brown,” said Ms. Winters. “It’s not my thing.”

and this... "Next up, geneticists say, could be tests for big dogs, small dogs, curly-tailed dogs, dogs with the keenest senses of smell and dogs that cock their heads endearingly when they look at you."

and this..." With the genetic curtain lifted, breeders ...who continue to mate fast dogs with one another, now do so knowing they may have to destroy the unwelcome (dogs without the desired traits) ....such pairings often produce"

I only hope reason will prevail and legislation will curb this guinea-pig science.