Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Does anyone feed flax oil?

JanM
June 11th, 2007, 09:50 PM
I added 1 tsp of Flax Oil to both dogs' breakfast dishes today and wonder if anyone else feeds it. If you do - how much do you add to their meal and do you add it every meal or once a day.

luckypenny
June 11th, 2007, 10:10 PM
I add flaxseed oil as well but only a teaspoon every three days or so (there's already flaxseed in their food). I alternate between flaxseed, coconut oil, and sardines or salmon oil. I like to give a variety. If I've added any fatty fish to their meals, then I withhold on the oils.

JanM
June 11th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Does that mean they get some kind of oil daily? e.g. - sardines on Mond, Flax Oil on Tues, Salmon Oil on Wed - that sort of thing?

Bobby's coat is dry and Amber's mats very easily so I though an oil supplement would be beneficial to them both. I like the idea of alternating the oils and would like to do that too..

mummummum
June 11th, 2007, 10:44 PM
That's what I do Jan ~ alternate between a flax seed oil and salmon oil. I haven't got off my behind to get out and get the cocunut oil yet though :rolleyes:

Tigergenesis
June 12th, 2007, 05:10 AM
I add flaxseed oil as well but only a teaspoon every three days or so (there's already flaxseed in their food). I alternate between flaxseed, coconut oil, and sardines or salmon oil. I like to give a variety. If I've added any fatty fish to their meals, then I withhold on the oils.

What would be the proper dosage for each of those oils?

JanM
June 12th, 2007, 09:28 AM
That's what I do Jan ~ alternate between a flax seed oil and salmon oil. I haven't got off my behind to get out and get the cocunut oil yet though :rolleyes:

Thankd, mummummum - I like the idea of alternating so I'll get some salmon oil today and start the rotation...

I appreciate your help!

JanM
June 12th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Oopsie - that was supposed to be "thanks" not thankd!

Ford Girl
June 12th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I give Dazy the Horizon's oil...1 tsp per meal. She likes it and it smells really good actually.

Ingredients: Blend of Sunflower Oil, Flax Oil, Salmon Oil, Sage Oil, Antioxidant Blend (Rosemary, Mixed Tocopherols, Ascorbyl, Palmitate, Citric Acid), Taurine Powder, Garlic Oil.

JanM
June 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Horizon Oil sounds pretty good but I'll stick to the Flax and Salmon for now - see if there's any general improvement in coats.

Thanks for your help!

luckypenny
June 12th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Does that mean they get some kind of oil daily? e.g. - sardines on Mond, Flax Oil on Tues, Salmon Oil on Wed - that sort of thing?

Bobby's coat is dry and Amber's mats very easily so I though an oil supplement would be beneficial to them both. I like the idea of alternating the oils and would like to do that too..

Yes, that's pretty much what I do. It always depends on what else I've fed them that day; I'm not exactly religious about it. I only started off with 1/2 teaspoon for Lucky though and withhold the coconut oil for him because of his sensitive stomach. But they both have gorgeous coats and I don't spritz them with any products. I'm pretty happy with their food also, I'm sure that contributed to the improvement.

luckypenny
June 12th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I forgot to mention, don't forget to keep the flaxseed oil in the fridge.

JanM
June 12th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Yup - I do - the staff at the Health Food Store were adamant about that..
Thanks..