Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

ankle biter

Dena
June 11th, 2007, 12:35 PM
After adopting our 2nd min pin... things have seem to be going great. They get along very well, and they play together. Just recently, my younger of the two (deuce) has decided that it is funny to bite poor little lexi's ankles and legs when they play. Lexi is 4 and Deuce is 1... but lexi's build is much more thin than deuce. (He is very muscular). Obviously, this is beginning to become a habit for deuce, and now makes lexi yelp when they play. Is this something he will outgrow? I have tried a few things to get him to stop... but every chance he gets.. he does it! Any suggestions? Thanks:fingerscr

luckypenny
June 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Have you tried a short 'time out' every time he does it? Just a few minutes would be enough. As soon as he does it again, firmly say "no" or "uh-uh", give him another time out and so on. You would have to be there at all times when they play, but with immediate intervention and a lot of consistency, Deuce will soon learn that nipping means no more fun time.

Dena
June 11th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Thanks... yes.. we are trying the time outs... i didnt mention it.. cause i thought puppy time outs were silly..lol. but yes... we are definately trying that one. He even has a naughty mat. It has been about 2 weeks of time outs.. and it hasnt phased him one bit... still every chance he gets. Will keep trying.. thanks for your imput!

luckypenny
June 11th, 2007, 01:40 PM
They're not silly at all. With my dogs, I find time-outs the best method to get them to stop any unwanted behavior. It usually only takes a few days but the trick is to catch them as soon as they are about to start (with a warning) or right in the act (with the time out). It's important that the time outs are only for a couple of minutes. Be patient, you ought to see some results soon.

Penny used to bark and growl viciously at the fence when other dogs went by. I would put her in a time out and then let her back outside within a few minutes. If she went back to the fence barking, it was another time out immediately. I even got a neighbor to walk by the fence and stand there with her dog for 20 minutes or so to help me teach Penny it wasn't ok to go loopy when another dog was there. After a week, she'd give two warning barks, then run to the door and put herself in a time out :D . Silly girl.

Dena
June 11th, 2007, 02:36 PM
:laughing: that is cute! Thank you so much... and I will really give it a shot! I will try it for the barking thing too. I never thought of that. I have 2 min pins.. and they both go nuts.. when a person or dog walks by... Great advice. Thanks again! Wish me luck!:pray: