Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Heeeeeeeelp!!!

muskokapuss
June 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Hi all,

After we had to put our poor Stinker dog down, my husband was just so lonely and the house was so quiet I just knew we needed a puppy, so I went on the web and did some research about dog breed's that are really friendly and don't shed (or at least not much) etc., a lady was advertising Labradoodles, so I made the mistake of asking her to send me a picture of the little male pup she has 'sigh' I really should know better by now lol. As soon as I saw the picture I knew I was toast....so now I have a 10 week old black Labradoodle puppy, his name is Bear, because he has absolutely enormous paws, they look like bear cub paws. There's only one little problem, he barks and howls when he's in his pen....He has a nice big pen with a nice big fluffy bed, chew toys, newspaper just in case, he has to get used to sometimes being on his own because I can't always take him with me, but I'm not sure what to do about the barking and howling, he's outside with me and my son for a walk first thing in the morning, then he comes to school with me to drop my son off, and be loved by the other kids, but then I need to work for a bit. Any idea's as to how to stop him from constant barking?? He barked at my neighbour for almost 10 straight minutes last night (although I completely understand that because my neighbour is an ass, but still lol) I am looking into taking him to puppy classes because I've never had a dog as a puppy before, so I don't want to rely on my non existant training skills, but until then what do I do??? :dog: Bear and I thank you in advance for any advice :dog:

H.P.
June 11th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Congratulations on your new addition! Would love for you to share the pic! While Labradoodle is a description of your new baby, it is not really a "breed", so don't be offended if someone calls it a mutt (personally, I love my mutt!) When you say pen, is it an open pen, or a crate? Either way, try to make it Bear's happy place, if possible keep it open for him to go in and out while you are there, and try tossing toys in for fetch. I also always fed Sydney in her crate. As for the neighbor, I don't know, maybe he was picking up on your feelings :evil:, I am sure someone can offer some ideas on that. Don's forget to post that picture!

BMDLuver
June 12th, 2007, 06:48 AM
He's 10 weeks old and most likely missing his littermates and the other dogs for company. So now he's looking to you for attention and playtime. Best thing to do is play hard with him so he tuckers out and wants a nap. Then while he's napping (which for a puppy that age is all out zonked) you can get all sorts of things done. The key is lots of exercise as these two breeds are very active.

Purpledomino
June 13th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Having a puppy is not all that much different than having a baby. Sounds like your pup wants your attention and to play, and his way to tell you is to bark/howl. Without his littermates he is looking to you instead for stimulation and activity. He may need more exercise than he is getting on his walk before his crate-time, maybe try some rough and tumble play as well, like throwing a ball and really burning off some of that excess energy.

Remember the old adage that a "tired dog is a good dog", is usually true. Something to keep him actively busy in his crate should help him, like a Kong filled with peanut butter or canned puppy food then frozen. This will keep him busy long enough for you to get some work done....long enough until the next potty break and playtime. When I know I am going to need to keep my dogs occupied for awhile so I can get work done I give them big old raw knuckle bones that I get at the butcher. Since your pup is still quite young, I would keep a close eye on him with whatever you give to chew.

Puppy classes are an excellent idea, both for obedience and for socialization. Good luck with Bear and welcome to the world of puppies! :dog:

mona_b
June 13th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I had the 3 bark rule..They were allowed to bark 3 times,after that,I gave the "enough" command..When they would stop,I praised like crazy..This command might take some time to pick up.

Your neighbour is someone new to him,so yes he will bark.Dogs need to bark,but they also need to learn when enough is enough.

He also needs to be socialized.A must at this age.

I agree that he misses his sibblings.And yes,a tired puppy is a happy puppy..:)

Definately tire him out...Teach him fetch,throw around a ball,and a Kong is a great idea.Especially since he is at the teething stage.

And yes,pics please....:D