Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Iceberg pictures

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Here are some iceberg pictures that I took yesterday (June 10) in Newfoundland. I was in my father's boat and we got pretty close to it, it was amazing.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2159.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2161.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2165.jpg

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Some others

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2167.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2177.jpg

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s217/TracyC_07/Picture2182.jpg

joeysmama
June 11th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Oh my goodness ! That's incredible !!!

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2007, 08:46 AM
It's beautiful, HO! :cloud9: Could you feel the cold waft off of it?

Such an odd shape. From one angle it almost looks like a frozen house. :D

he he But where are the seals and polar bears! :D

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 12:13 PM
No, it wasn't cold at all Hazel, but it was a rare NL day with hardly any wind at all.
When the pack ice is in, you can really feel the coldness.

Sorry, no seals or polar bears:rolleyes: , but my brother saw a whale the day before:cloud9:

Rick C
June 11th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Beautiful . . . . well done.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Frenchy
June 11th, 2007, 12:38 PM
OMG ! It's breathtaking ! I would have been scared to get close to it, you know , the Titanic :rolleyes: I love the blue in the ice...

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Beautiful . . . . well done.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca

Now that's a compliment:o Thanks Rick:thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 12:53 PM
OMG ! It's breathtaking ! I would have been scared to get close to it, you know , the Titanic :rolleyes: I love the blue in the ice...

Frenchy, we didn't get that close:eek:

Yeah, the colours are really pretty aren;t they:cloud9:

marko
June 11th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Those are some excellent shots!

Very beautiful - I love how the sky has loads of detail and not washed out as is common with sky shots. Great Job!:highfive:

Thx
Marko

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks Marko :o

Hard not to take a good picture when the sky was perfect, the water was perfect and the iceberg was amazing:cloud9:
Like I said a rare day here in NL when there wasn't even a ripple on the water!

Lukka'sma
June 11th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Those pictures are spectacular. The colors are so pretty.

rainbow
June 11th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Awesome pics with amazing detail. :cloud9: Well done, HO. :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks everyone:)

JanM
June 11th, 2007, 02:41 PM
WOW! What a sight to see - and the colours are amazing! I've never even seen a picture of a berg so close... well done - and thanks for sharing them!

luckypenny
June 11th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Magnificent photos HO. Makes me feel as if I'm actually there. Cool...

chico2
June 11th, 2007, 05:10 PM
WOW,NL has icebergs:confused: ,those are amazing pics..looks so serene and beautiful.
I keep telling hubby we have to go to NL,what I've seen so far is all beautiful.

mummummum
June 11th, 2007, 05:19 PM
They are so majestic aren't they ? And magical ~ like fortresses of light and air.

SableCollie
June 11th, 2007, 07:33 PM
That is gorgeous, I love the blue stripes. Looks like some sort of popsicle or ice cream treat to me. :cloud9: Looks like it was a nice day to be out on the water, there's hardly any waves!

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 07:27 AM
WOW,NL has icebergs:confused: ,those are amazing pics..looks so serene and beautiful.
I keep telling hubby we have to go to NL,what I've seen so far is all beautiful.

I can't believe you didn't know that we have icebergs :eek: I thought it was a big touristy thing here...
We have some just about every year, but there is no guarantee of where they will be and how long they stay.

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 07:28 AM
That is gorgeous, I love the blue stripes. Looks like some sort of popsicle or ice cream treat to me. :cloud9: Looks like it was a nice day to be out on the water, there's hardly any waves!

Yeah it really was one of the nicest days you can get. Hardly any wind at all:)

chico2
June 12th, 2007, 07:43 AM
HO,yeah,I already heard from hubby about my ignorance:laughing: after all the Titanic sunk in the area of NL...
It just means we have to go there and see for ourselves,right!

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 09:48 AM
HO,yeah,I already heard from hubby about my ignorance:laughing: after all the Titanic sunk in the area of NL...
It just means we have to go there and see for ourselves,right!

Yes that is right Chico! NL has a lot to offer;)

CyberKitten
June 12th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Oh my, those are gorgeous!!!!! I love seeing those things, even if they did sink the Titanic!

Speaking of which - don't forget that Halifax has an extremely close connection to the fated ship - we have an exhibit at the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic and of course, over 300 victims (the bodies that the guys on the MacKay Bennett and other boats that were able to be buried) are interred in the separate cemeteries in Halifax - depending on the religion of the person. A few years ago, the "unknown child", a grave where a small toddler was buried - paid for the men of the MacKay Bennett and sort of adopted by the entire city - had his identity made known through DNA tho it was very tough. (There was a PBS documentary about this.) More on the humorous side - after the blockbuster film Titanic - tho actually A Night to Remember is probably more accurate acc to Titanic historians - a grave whose tombstone bears the name J. Dawson was inundated with flowers and teddy bears and all sorts of paraphernalia. Now, the character in the movie was fictional - the "real" J Dawson was a British man who worked driving coal into the boughs of the ship and since most of those men went down with the ship, he did not make it. It makes one wonder about people though? :confused:

The Titanic exhibit has a deck chair and pieces of what local fishermen call "wreckwood" - wood founf from the ship was used to build everything from rolling pins (for cooking) to small chairs. Some of that stuff is also on display and some Nova Scotia families still have some.

There is also a house owned by George Wright - a famous Haligonian who died on the ship. He was an architect and envisioned urban planning even back then but he left his home for the women of Halifax to use. It is still standing and is cared for by a women's group.

Anyway - I do not want to detract from these beautiful icebergs - just to point out the ties to NS.

Love4himies
June 12th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Absolutely gorgeous, Hunter's Owner, have you had any photography classes? When I looked at those, I got such a peaceful, serene feeling. We do live in the most diverse, beautiful country in the world.

Thank you for sharing :thumbs up .

coppperbelle
June 12th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Yes that is right Chico! NL has a lot to offer;)

I can vouch for that. We have been there twice and were so amazed at what we saw the first time had to go back the following year. We dream of being able to go back again someday. We saw icebergs in Twillingate and also one small one that found its way into a harbor somewhere near St.John's. There were moose everywhere and the scenery is gorgeous.
Great pictures but remember not to get too close. We were warned about that when we took a tour boat. Icebergs are always melting and can turn without warning.

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Absolutely gorgeous, Hunter's Owner, have you had any photography classes? When I looked at those, I got such a peaceful, serene feeling. We do live in the most diverse, beautiful country in the world.

Thank you for sharing :thumbs up .

Thanks Love4himies :o I have most definitely never taken any photography courses:laughing:
With a digital camera and such lovely scenery, it would be impossible to take a bad picture:)

breeze
June 12th, 2007, 01:07 PM
these pictures are breath taking HO well done :thumbs up
o to be on the water again

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 01:08 PM
I can vouch for that. We have been there twice and were so amazed at what we saw the first time had to go back the following year. We dream of being able to go back again someday. We saw icebergs in Twillingate and also one small one that found its way into a harbor somewhere near St.John's. There were moose everywhere and the scenery is gorgeous.
Great pictures but remember not to get too close. We were warned about that when we took a tour boat. Icebergs are always melting and can turn without warning.

Yeah Twillingate area almost always has Icebergs, during iceberg season.
This iceberg is closer to St. John's than Twillingate. This has been one of the best year for Icebergs for the East Coast in a long time.
There have been a few big ones in the St. John's area and one even had to get towed out of the Narrows.

Yeah we know all about not getting too close. You never know how wide they are under water, and they really can flip over at any time.

angeldogs
June 12th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Everytime i look at those pictures.it's still amazing to look at them

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Thanks angeldogs. I find myself doing the same thing. It is soooo relaxing.

I think I am going to blow one up and hang it on my wall.:o

Mahealani770
June 12th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I can't see them!! :sad: All I see are little red x's. :frustrated:

Crestedcrazy
June 12th, 2007, 03:41 PM
:thumbs up Just absolutely Breathtaking!!!!!

Hunter's_owner
June 12th, 2007, 05:19 PM
I can't see them!! :sad: All I see are little red x's. :frustrated:

Oh really? I am not sure why...maybe it is my photobucket account or something. You can try again, and if it still don't work I can post there through here. They really are worth seeing