Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Kitten that is have bobcat

tlc1418a
June 11th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I know nothing about bobcats and I came home from work the other day and my 12 year old daughter had brought home a solid white kitten from a friends house. They say this kitten is 1/2 bobcat. Since I know nothing about them, I have to ask. Are bobcats (or 1/2 in this case) mean cats? Will she be a danger to my other cat I have had for several years? Right now she seems like the typical kitten - into everything. I think she will be a lap cat. She snuggles up against me to sleep and climbs all over me when I sit down. I am just worried how she will turn out as she grows older. Please tell me there is no need to worry.

Thanks!

rainbow
June 11th, 2007, 01:09 AM
There is no way that the kitten is half bobcat. Perhaps they meant 1/2 manx :shrug: .....does it have a tail?

tlc1418a
June 11th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I am gla to know its not half bobcat, but if you don't mind my asking - how do you know that it's not 1/2 bobcat?

Yes it has a tail.

bendyfoot
June 11th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Generally speaking, two animals that are different species can't breed. Housecats and bobcats aren't even of the same genus. Bobcat =Lynx rufus, housecat = Felis catus.

mummummum
June 11th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Photo and description of a bobcat: 26012

-----------------------------------------------------------

Physical Characteristics
"28-49 3/8" (71-125 cm) long.
Tawny (grayer in winter), with indistinct black spotting.
Short, stubby tail with 2 or 3 black bars and black tip above; pale or white below.
Upper legs have dark bars.
Face has thin, black lines radiating onto broad cheek ruff.
Ears slightly tufted.
Males larger than females.

Tracks - Fore- and hindprints about the same size, 2" long, slightly longer than wide, with 4 toes, no claw marks. If clearly outlined, heel pad distinguishes from canine print: dog's or Coyote's is lobed only at rear; Bobcat's is lobed at rear and concave at front, giving print scalloped front and rear edges. Trail very narrow, sometimes as if made by a 2-legged animal, because hindfeet are set on, close to, or overlapping foreprints; 9-13" between prints. This manner of walking may be an adaptation to stalking: hunting as it travels, cat can see where to place its forefeet noiselessly, then brings down hind feet on the same spots."
Habitat - Primarily scrubby country, broken forests, but adapts to swamps, farmlands, and arid lands if rocky or brushy.

Range - Spottily distributed from coast to coast from southern Canada into Mexico. Probably most plentiful in Far West, from Idaho, Utah, and Nevada to Pacific and from Washington to Baja California with some found in the Northeast and Southeast. In Florida they appear nearly extinct.

Diet - It preys mostly on the Snowshoe Hare and cottontails but also eats mice, squirrels, Porcupines, and cave bats.

Reproductive Characteristics Etc. - Found only in North America, where it is the most common wildcat, the Bobcat gets its name from its stubby, "bobbed," tail. It lies up by day in a rock cleft, thicket, or other hiding place.... Its scream is piercing and when threatened, it utters a short, sudden, and resonant "cough-bark." It yowls louder and most often during breeding season.

Alpine Lynx / Hybrid
White bobcat (speculative) x domestic. A pure white bobcat was sighted in the Turtle Mountains, North Dakota near the Manitoba border. A silver-and-white barn cat produced two large, wild-tempermented white kittens in spite of no white male domestic cats in the area. These were bred to Highland Lynx. Alpine Lynx are larger than average cats, solid white with curled or straight ears and preferably polydactyl paws.DNA testing has not confirmed bobcat ancestry and this breed is considered wholly domestic by registries

http://www.messybeast.com/small-hybrids/rufus-lynx-hybrids.htm
The Alpine Lynx is a white variety that traces back to two kittens born to a silver-and-white barn cat in the Turtle Mountains, North Dakota near the Manitoba border. The kittens were larger and wilder than normal and there were no pure white male domestic cats in the area. There was a white bobcat known as Witte Wolk ("White Cloud" in Dutch). These were bred to Highland Lynx and therefore can have curled ears as well as polydactyl paws. The cats are not albino, but carry the dominant white gene (properly termed epistatic white). Sceptics have noted that the dominant white gene can only have come from a free-roaming white domestic cat as all white bobcats examined have been albinos (a recessive gene).

Kristin7
June 12th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Interesting... I had a friend in college who claimed to have a bobcat-x cat. This was way up in northern Michigan (Upper Peninsula) where bobcats do live. He was a huge and unusual looking cat, so I thought it was true. His eyes were rather wild looking. Other than his looks and the fact that he once scared off a burgler, he seemed like a normal cat to me, and friendly too. He had a tail, though it was a little shorter than normal, and tabby markings.