Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A curious kitty gets into trouble

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Vlad is a curious kitty, VERY curious, and thanks to him Oksana is following in his footsteps. This morning however, Vlad had a little accident in the toilet.

He fell in, just as I um...flushed. Poor thing! I had to get him out so fast and dunk him in the shower, which was running but hadn't gotten warm yet.

I plan on training Vlad and Oksana to use the toilet, I just hope this doesn't happen once they try using the toilet on their own.

I wanted to post some pictures of them. They've both grown so much!

Oksana settling down for a nap.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Oksana/IMG_0348.jpg

Vlad on his new favorite spot.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Vlad/IMG_0309.jpg

papillonmama
June 10th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yup, when my cats were younger and slightly trimmer, they used to jump up to watch the water go down everytime anyone flushed. I can't remember if anyone fell in though.

Cute kitty. :) Glad he's alright. Maybe he learned a lesson.

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Oh I hope he did learn a lesson.

angeldogs
June 10th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Aww cute kitties.hopefully he did learn a lesson or theres going to lots of showers.

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Yes, and I'm not going to look forward to coming home to a smelly kitty.

angeldogs
June 10th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Yes, and I'm not going to look forward to coming home to a smelly kitty.

:laughing: I don't blame you there.

CyberKitten
June 10th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Awwwwwwww, poor Vlad - I am not keen on the toilet training thing (My YY's mom did it for a few yrs but it was the direct cause of some problems and most cats will not choose it. It is unnatural for a cat. It is probably fine for a spry kitten for a while though - but his falling in the toilet may not help the cause, lol (Poor baby!!)

Too bad he's not a Turkish Van - they love the water. Granted, YY - a Siamese also does not mind it. Her adoptive brother is another matter tho!! With a heart murmur, there is no way I'd subject him to the stress of toilet training - he is a digger and loves his routine. :)

He is definitely a cutie!!!! At least toilet training - even though so many studies show its problems in later yrs - is not as bad as declawing and while he may be unhappy with it, it should not affect his personality. Please don't take this personally - it is not meant to be. It's an occupational hazard for someone who gets paid to give advice.

My personal story is that I too really loved the idea of toilet training but once I did the research, I had to admit I could not do it. It would have been more for me than the cats. And that would not be fair to them, even if they did not mind it as young kittens. Here is one article that is written in less academic tones about the problems. I do not think people are deliberately hurting their cats - I suspect they just do not think it through and it sounds so great!! (At least I thought so too so I know why you think the way you do!)

http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/toilet.html

ancientgirl
June 10th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Thanks for that link, I'm going to read it now.

I'm doing it more for Vlad than me. I haven't actually begun the toilet training yet though, since Oksana is still to small. He fell in today mainly because he just wanted to get a better view of the water swirling.

But one of the main reasons I'm doing it is because about two weeks after I brought him home, way before I brought Oksana home, he started playing in his litter and actually laying in it. He'll be MIA for a while and I'll call out to him, then I'll go looking for him and he'll be just laying there, in the litter. I know that can't be healthy for him, and I can't seem to get him out of the habit. And now, Oksana, who loves to emulate him, is doing the same thing.

I have a litter maid, but that doesn't scoop up the small pieces of stuff that breaks off, and I try to scoop up what's left behind, but I can't be here all day watching them, so I know at some point during the day he's playing and laying in his litter. He'll go and start digging, then try to capture some on his paw and start trying to eat it.

I thought this would be healthier for them.

krdahmer
June 10th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Too cute...

I too had toilet curious kittens, both Windy and Smoke used to drink out of the toilet... so I had to train my husband to keep the lid down.... I think it would have been easier to train them to use it!!:rolleyes:

rainbow
June 10th, 2007, 11:04 PM
They are both sooo cute and I just love their Russian names. :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Too cute...

I too had toilet curious kittens, both Windy and Smoke used to drink out of the toilet... so I had to train my husband to keep the lid down.... I think it would have been easier to train them to use it!!:rolleyes:

I live alone so I always leave the lid down. I was thinking of toilet training them, but I just read that link CyberKitten posted in her comment and now I'm thinking twice about it.

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2007, 07:54 AM
They are both sooo cute and I just love their Russian names. :lovestruck:

Thanks! I've always loved the name Vladimir, and when I got her, I decided her name had to be Russian too. It was a toss up between Oksana and Tatiana, but I thought Oksana might be easier for her to remember.

CyberKitten
June 11th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Many kittens play with their litter - they get over it once you train them to know it is not for laying or OR eating. <g> That's one of the reasons clumping litter should NEVER be used for kittens - I actually have to admit I dislike clumping litter, period - but I know we are all different.

Good luck in making a decision. I do know people whose cats use the toilet for a few yrs and do OK so you could always try that I suppose. They often revert to the litter box after a certain age or if illness occurs - even after a spay for example. (Tho some cats, even my YY are quite agile post spay (she jumped up on my monitor and urinated into it- half asleep). Good bye monitor, rofl!

Good luck!!

ancientgirl
June 11th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I read the article and it made some very good points.

I've been experimenting with litters. Right now I'm using Tidy Cat, and am not really pleased. So far the one I like the most is the Fresh Scoop. But I'd tried the non clumping stuff and he still played around with it. At this point, I'm hoping he grows out of it.

I decided perhaps a bigger litter box, since now both he and Oksana are sharing it, and one that has a cover so at least there's less litter on the floor. Maybe also if I put a cover on it he'll realize this is just place to use the bathroom, not to play. Honestly, he just seems to be fascinated by poo! Poor Oksana can't even go without having him standing behind her sniffing at her then looking at what she did! LOL, the other day she pooed and covered it as best she could, then he came back behind her and covered it better. At least he's helpful.

krdahmer
June 12th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Thats so cute...he's helpin out. Mine have an accident beside the boxes every now and then, but I've noticed since we moved, one of them always scoops a bunch of litter out of the box and onto the floor to cover them up. Strangely enough it makes the pee messes a lot easier to clean up.

ancientgirl
June 12th, 2007, 06:59 PM
I think sometimes he feels like she's his kitty.

The other day I had to clean a bit of poop off of her and she was NOT happy. The second he heard her meowing and in distress he came running and started pawing at my legs, like asking what I was doing to her.

He also tries to comfort her by extending his paw and patting her on the head, its very cute.