Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Houdini cat driving me crazy

marsupial mama
June 10th, 2007, 06:09 AM
My cat is turning into quite the escape artist. Whenever anyone comes in or goes out it gets quite stressful. We thought of walking her on a harness and leash in the back yard but she got out of the harness. Then she got out when the a/c guy came. Then she got out yesterday when we came home.

I am fed up of running into neighbour's yards after the cat and freaking out their kids and inadvertently entertaining the parents.

This kitty is supposed to be an indoor cat. :frustrated: How do I convince her of the fact??

marsupial mama
June 10th, 2007, 01:04 PM
bump :confused:

krdahmer
June 10th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Water! Some think it's mean, but it is a great way to train a cat if it has an aversion to water.

I have taken in a lot of outdoor and stray cats that always want to get back outside. And even after moving to this new house my already trained boys started to attempt escape again!

I just keep a spray bottle by the doors and at first spray them every time they make a dash for the door, when the door bell rings or we are going in/out. After doing this consistently for a few weeks, I am able to just make the sch (spray bottle like noise) sound and they back away. Unfortunately some kitties are pretty persistant and you may have to keep the bottle handy all the time. Sometimes just showing the bottle and making the noise are enough to get them to lose interest and find other adventures inside.

Also, I found that allowing them out on a leash and then spraying them at the door sent a mixed message, so I now just keep them strictly indoors. I may look into an outdoor run once I have a house of my own but for now there are no outdoor adventures.

Good luck with your houdini! :goodvibes:

papillonmama
June 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I have one of those too, actually i have two of them, They are to the point where they will tear the screens in my windows and if the windows aren't locked then they can open them.

If I need to open my doors for any longer than a few brief Watchful moments, lol, I put the cats into a room, one of the rooms has a latch because my kids are sympathetic to their cause. :rolleyes:

For the screens I was given the advice that I can use aluminum screening, and I just recently found a place that will do that for me, so I can finally keep my windows open during the summer. Just in case yours starts this behaviour.

I have to keep mine inside at all times, because if I let them out or even let them see that I've let down my guard then they will try to escape. And I give them extra treats to make them want to stay home, nothing bad for them though, sometimes cat treats, sometimes catnip, and I give them really good wet food. I find they are more affectionate when I give them the really high quality wet. Oh and I also made a little nook in the window so that they can watch the birds. Anything to keep them busy really. They are much happier inside, even if they still wan to go outside, I can draw their attention t something else instead of yowling in the stairwell.

Oh the silly kitties. :lovestruck:

muskokapuss
June 11th, 2007, 10:27 AM
I have 2 cat's that are totally indoor kitties, although the one when I got her was an outdoor cat. The only thing that I've found that works is to keep them indoors at all times and for the first little while to keep mine from scooting out the door, I'd put her in the basement with the door shut when someone was coming in or out or we had a repair man over etc....after a couple months of that she now has no interest in going outside at all. Of course we've also set up what I like to call "Cat TV" I have a comfy chair that fit's both cat's in front of my big window and we've hung out a couple bird feeders, so not only can they sunbathe, they get to watch the birdies too. They just love it! good luck to you with your :cat:

puss:cat:

marsupial mama
June 11th, 2007, 06:41 PM
thanks for the ideas - the spray bottle sounds likea good idea but I am having a hard time finding decent spray bottles :rolleyes: Got one from dollarama but it just leaks... :frustrated:

she gets to sit at windows and watch stuff outside but i guess it's not enough for her... hope no one tells her that screens can be shredded!

BTW papillonmama, what kind of wet food do you give your cats? we give our kitty kibble and wet food as a treat at the weekends, but if it would stop the wanderlust i would consider a switch.

~michelle~
June 11th, 2007, 06:54 PM
this may sound mean but i used squirt guns because they offered a better stream than the dollar store spray bottles.

marsupial mama
June 12th, 2007, 08:34 AM
well I must admit I saw one of those big Nerf water guns in Value Village and wondered about it :laughing: .

Where's the best place to buy a decent, small sized non-leaking water pistol or three?

papillonmama
June 12th, 2007, 12:05 PM
I give my cats Merrick's, the canned foods, they particularly like grammy pot pie and thanksgiving dinner, and one of my cats likes the seafood ones, but the other is picky and likes the cowboy cookout instead. It's good ofood and I odn't need to put out too much, a tablespoon in the morning and one at night for each.

Some people might think it's scary that I know so much about what they like to put in their mouths. :o

kiara
June 12th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Maybe your vet. could come up with some ideas !! But also maybe you are fighting a war you will not win???? I have had several cats in my life. One of them just loved going outside and she became "an indoor-----outdoor cat". I am convinced that these type of cats live longer.,, They get fresh air and exercise, but also genetics play a big role in their life expectancy. She lived for 21 years and was fixed early in her life, she just loved going outside and always brought us her "catch".

~michelle~
June 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM
i would disagree that indoor-outdoor cats live longer.

if you want fresh air open a window and for exercise play with your cat

outdoor cats are more exposed to disease, pedators, vehicles, other people, poisons etc etc

its someones choice if they choose to have an indoor outdoor cat but i wouldnt say the life expectancy is any greater

krdahmer
June 12th, 2007, 07:41 PM
I agree.... my cats watch out the windows, I have a slew of feeders in the yard for them to watch, we play string and laser daily, they eat good food and are happy. IMO indoor cats should live longer, they still get fresh air from open windows, exersise with toys or each other... and they are not exposed to all kinds of illness and diseases from wildlife and other un-treated animals. It's definitely safer... no cars or preditors (the furry and two legged kind) to worry about.

Oh and as for the water bottle I got mine at the dollarama too... I must have lucked out. The ones they have that are clear or coloured never worked, but one time they had these ones that had more of a frosted look to them and they work great. I have them by both doors and by the fish tanks. Oh which reminds me I have a question about fish tanks...better go make a post.