Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vine or Weed? Another what is it?

Smiley14
June 10th, 2007, 02:35 AM
I noticed this creeping over the fence from my neighbor's yard last year and this year, it's back with a vengeance. Besides climbing over to my side, it's now sprouted up in my rocks about three feet away. It looks like a weed among the rocks from far away, but up close, does have tiny flowers and berries. I have no idea if this is a weed or vine and if I should kill it or not! Any ideas??

Here's how it looks creeping over the fence from the neighbor's side:

Smiley14
June 10th, 2007, 02:37 AM
And here is the same plant, looking very weed like in my rocks. I normally put potted flowers on a rock ledge that is now buried under this thing, but didn't put one there this year. I rarely go over to this side of the yard as it's on the other side of the house and I don't have any plants there. Ventured over there today to see it has taken over! It looks like a massive weed! But up close, I can see it's the same plant, with the tiny flowers and berries. I'm not sure if I should kill it or not.

Any ideas??

Stacer
June 10th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Looks like a Nightshade to me, which one, I'm not sure (maybe Deadly Nightshade)

Smiley14
June 10th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I just googled deadly nightshade, and I think you're right! It's listed as a poisonous plant and almost sounds like a drug of sorts when misused! :eek: I better kill it! What on earth are my neighbors growing?! Thanks Stacer!

rainbow
June 10th, 2007, 07:22 PM
YIKES !!! :eek: Maybe your neighbours don't know and would appreciate if you told them what you found out? Good luck.....I hope it's easy to get rid of. :fingerscr

clm
June 11th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I have that vine come up all over my yard and am forever pulling it out. I've never had a problem with the dogs or cats eating it, grows quickly too, I found a couple more on the weekend I had to yank. I'd love to know where on earth they keep coming from.

Cindy

hazelrunpack
June 11th, 2007, 09:26 AM
It sprouts easily from the seeds. It's not quite as deadly as its name, but it can cause bloody stools in dogs that decide to sample it. It may have other effects in cats...don't know, for sure. :shrug: The local hmong population reportedly love to saute or steam it lightly and eat it as a vegetable, but I don't care for the smell of it, so I just pull it when I see it. The stuff grows like a...well...like a weed. :D

edit: I just wanted to add that some birds seem to love the berries--and I think that's the main way the seeds get spread...

Frenchy
June 11th, 2007, 12:44 PM
You guys got me again with your weird thread tittles, I tought I saw "wine or weed" :rolleyes:

rainbow
June 11th, 2007, 02:33 PM
You guys got me again with your weird thread tittles, I tought I saw "wine or weed" :rolleyes:

HA HA HA.....and I bet that was a tough decision. :laughing:

chico2
June 11th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Aw Frenchy,you're too funny..I have no idea what that vine is,but now i know..never seen one before.

Smiley14
June 11th, 2007, 08:23 PM

Oh, LOL! I almost spit out my diet coke! Too funny! :laughing:

Smiley14
June 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM
It sprouts easily from the seeds. It's not quite as deadly as its name, but it can cause bloody stools in dogs that decide to sample it. It may have other effects in cats...don't know, for sure. :shrug: The local hmong population reportedly love to saute or steam it lightly and eat it as a vegetable, but I don't care for the smell of it, so I just pull it when I see it. The stuff grows like a...well...like a weed. :D

edit: I just wanted to add that some birds seem to love the berries--and I think that's the main way the seeds get spread...

Hazel, you're brilliant! My neighbors are in fact Hmong. We have one of hte largest Hmong populations here in the Cities. These are the same ones that refused to let me take those baby bunnies that we thought were abandoned to the vet. (Although in hindsight, that turned out to be a good thing since Mom was still alive after all!) I was standing on my deck today where I can see over the fence and noticed there were several of them planted with even spacings all the way down the length of the fence. They most definitely looked deliberately planted. GREAT. Now I'll get these monsters competing with my honeysuckles. I'm going to chop off anything that comes over onto my side of the fence. :evil:

Frenchy
June 11th, 2007, 08:32 PM
HA HA HA.....and I bet that was a tough decision. :laughing:

:offtopic: I just tought why not both ? :footinmouth:

chico2
June 12th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Ok,translation,who on earth are hmong:confused:

Smiley14
June 12th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Lol, sorry Chico! The Hmong is an ethnic group from Laos. We have a very large population in this area. I googled it quick and found this:

http://minneapolis.about.com/cs/demographics/a/hmongminnesota.htm

chico2
June 13th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Thank's Smiley,now I know:)and understand better..:cat: