Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

big dogs overdose !!!

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 09:52 PM
OMG , I was in paradise today , me and Luckypenny had to drive a rescue dog in a rescue and met a whole lot of big doggies, all sooo nice ! I couldn't keep me hands off them. Pics to come because LP had her DG cam but I forgot to bring mine, :frustrated: oh and we stopped at Skryker book store and met her and her step daughter ! It was a very cool day. :cloud9:

Pics to come....

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Truly, a dog lover's paradise...

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
Oh, how cool! :cloud9: Now that's a Pack! :laughing: Looks like so much fun!

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:20 PM
If my memory serves me correctly (it's been a long day), there are 18 dogs at this rescue, all with the exception of 3 are giant breeds. The best behaved, friendliest, most affectionate dogs I have ever met all at one time in one place. What an amazing experience.

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 10:22 PM
When are we going back , when are we going back ???? :goodvibes: :laughing:

hazelrunpack
June 9th, 2007, 10:30 PM
When are we going back , when are we going back ???? :goodvibes: :laughing:

hazel wants to come, too! :highfive: :D

happycats
June 9th, 2007, 10:34 PM
OMG they are soooo beautiful:lovestruck: :cloud9:
I wanna come I wanna come

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 10:38 PM
OMG they are soooo beautiful:lovestruck: :cloud9:
I wanna come I wanna come

I tell you , being surrounded by the 9 of them , I couldn't stop petting them and wouldn't even notice the humains around :laughing: And they were all so well behave ! Incredible ! :cloud9:

happycats
June 9th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I tell you , being surrounded by the 9 of them , I couldn't stop petting them and wouldn't even notice the humains around :laughing: And they were all so well behave ! Incredible ! :cloud9:

I just LOVE big dogs, that place sounds like heaven!:lovestruck:

wdawson
June 9th, 2007, 10:43 PM
ahhh beauties all round.....looks like you both had a great day:thumbs up ...keep up the good work.

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Happycats, if you live anywhere near Ottawa, then you're not too far :D .

Here's another. The white Dane is Soul :lovestruck: (oh, i hope I have the name right :o ) who is deaf but understands sign language. I forgot the English Mastiff's name :o but he's the most gentle giant and about twice the weight of Frenchy :D . I tried so hard to memorize them all but by the time we got to the end of the drive, I already started to forget :o . All the excitement kind of got to me :D .

We're posting these pics with permission from Gwen, founder and owner of Birch Haven Rescue and Rehabilitation (BHRR). A truly amazing woman!

wdawson
June 9th, 2007, 10:46 PM
frenchy looks a little nervous in the first pic:laughing: it's only a lab:D

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 10:49 PM

I don't know what I was doing :confused: but I wasn't nervous, :) I was petting them for about 30 minutes when the pic was taken. But for sure I wished I had more hands, I was trying to pet all of them at once. :lovestruck:

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM

No, that's a Dane :)

wdawson
June 9th, 2007, 10:51 PM
what breed are the dogs in the second pic......the one that is white and in the forfront and the one with the moo spots?

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
The smaller black and white is a mixt newf, the others were all great danes, 2 goldens and the mastiff. I looove the mastiff, he was very gentle for a big dog.

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:53 PM
what breed are the dogs in the second pic......the one that is white and in the forfront and the one with the moo spots?

Both Great Danes. Sweet looking without the ears cropped, eh?

wdawson
June 9th, 2007, 10:54 PM
the black dog is a dane?

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 10:56 PM
the black dog is a dane?

Yep , there was 2 black great danes, but like LP , I don't remember the dogs 's names , I was too busy cudling. :D

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 10:57 PM
But for sure I wished I had more hands, I was trying to pet all of them at once. :lovestruck:

I agree, I could have taken more photos but was too mesmerized by the all the dogs. What an overwhelming feeling of bliss having them all come to you and so politely asking for your affections :cloud9: .

happycats
June 9th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I'm in Oshawa......it's pretty far from Ottawa:sad:

Those dogs look like such sweet gentle giants!

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 11:00 PM
the black dog is a dane?

Yes. The smaller black & white dog in the second pic is a Newf/Lab/? cross, pretty much the same size as my Penny. The Black Dane is a lot taller...

wdawson
June 9th, 2007, 11:01 PM
i'm jealous......i wanna see them.....i really like the moo spotted one...you guys...i mean woman are lucky you get to meet all the sweet doggies and help find homes:thumbs up

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 11:03 PM
but he's the most gentle giant and about twice the weight of Frenchy :D .

Look who's talking ! We are the same size you and me !

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I'm in Oshawa......it's pretty far from Ottawa:sad:

Those dogs look like such sweet gentle giants!

Hey, it only took us 4 hours to get there :o :D (It was only supposed to take 2.5, but we needed to make a few pit-stops). It's about 2.5 hours from your place too isn't it? Care to adopt an amazing giant puppy :D ???

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I forgot to mention...all these dogs live inside the lovely family home. It's just way too cool and incredible how well behaved they all are. As Gwen said, "It's quite the organized chaos."

Smiley14
June 9th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Ohhh, how fun!!!!! What beautiful babies!!!! There is just something so COOL about gentle giants. Awww!!! :cloud9:

JanM
June 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM
What an amazing experience for you guys - you lucky people! Beautiful dogs - all of them!

rainbow
June 9th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I wish I could have gone.....I would have been in heaven. :cloud9: I can't pick a favourite one....I just love big dogs, period. :lovestruck:

Gwen sounds like an amazing woman. :angel: :thumbs up

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Gwen sounds like an amazing woman. :angel: :thumbs up

OMG she is ! She has her own dogs, rescue dogs, rescue horses ! And 2 young kids !!! Who by the way, are extremely experienced with dogs, it's amazing to see the kids with the dogs.

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 11:31 PM
...Gwen sounds like an amazing woman. :angel: :thumbs up

She most certainly is, and her husband and young children as well. They are so devoted to their animals (they also rescue horses). They don't just provide space for them to stay until adopted but they rehabilitate all the dogs that come in to the rescue. They help mainly special needs dogs ie. deaf, visually impaired, injured, etc. What a dream this home is...

luckypenny
June 9th, 2007, 11:33 PM
heehee, I didn't see your reply, Frenchy :D

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM
heehee, I didn't see your reply, Frenchy :D

:laughing: that's ok, I tought I would be sleepy when I got back , but I'm still hyper from everything, it was a good day :thumbs up

rainbow
June 9th, 2007, 11:39 PM
How did you find out about her?

Frenchy
June 9th, 2007, 11:43 PM

LP did and I don't remember how, but I can tell you, I do remember how to get to that place :D and we will go for a another visit soon. Gosh I wish I could move near that place, big lands, very wooded area, my dream place !

mummummum
June 10th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....aaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh. I'm in heaven just looking at them all. Harlequinn Danes are my dream dogs. What a wonderful place and people. Sighhhhhhhhhh.

TeriM
June 10th, 2007, 02:27 AM
What gorgeous dogs :cloud9: . It sounds like an amazing place and the animals definately look happy :lovestruck: .

luckypenny
June 10th, 2007, 07:09 AM

I was doing a lot of research on giant breed dogs over the past year or so and I think this is how I came across several sites that mentioned this rescue. Through the wonderful world of networking, I remember several other rescuers referring to this particular program as well. We corresponded by email several times and I was very impressed with the information I received. So, an opportunity arose to finally get to meet the family and 'pack' in person :) .

We're definitely going back soon to learn more (and hopefully get take some more photos of the giant fuzzbutts if they back away for more than a couple of seconds :D ). Personally, I've never seen anything like this and am so impressed with the 'professionalism' of this rescue. Such a great opportunity to learn...

chico2
June 10th, 2007, 07:27 AM
OMG,what a wonderful place,beautiful dogs,all of them:lovestruck:
These people must be truly amazing,also very lucky to be able to do this,a dream,I am sure,for many of us here on the Forum.:cloud9:
If I was able tp pick one out of all of the pups,I would probably pic the white deaf one,but he is sooo much better off where he is,very lucky doggies:dog:

Rottielover
June 10th, 2007, 10:07 AM
wow, throw in a rottweiler in that pack, and that is my dream place....I love it...good luck to these dogs to get great forever homes

angeldogs
June 10th, 2007, 02:22 PM
OMG.I'm so jealous.what good looking dogs.looks like you's were in a doggie heaven.sooo sooo lucky you's.

rainbow
June 10th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I was doing a lot of research on giant breed dogs over the past year or so and I think this is how I came across several sites that mentioned this rescue. Through the wonderful world of networking, I remember several other rescuers referring to this particular program as well. We corresponded by email several times and I was very impressed with the information I received. So, an opportunity arose to finally get to meet the family and 'pack' in person :) .

We're definitely going back soon to learn more (and hopefully get take some more photos of the giant fuzzbutts if they back away for more than a couple of seconds :D ). Personally, I've never seen anything like this and am so impressed with the 'professionalism' of this rescue. Such a great opportunity to learn...

Lucky you and Frenchy for getting to meet this special lady. :angel: Next time you go tell her how much we admire her for what she is doing. :thumbs up

Hunter's_owner
June 11th, 2007, 06:32 AM
Great pics guys!!! All those dogs in one place....omg :cloud9: I am sooo jealous:D

Furbaby Momma
June 11th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Gwen sounds like an :angel: , Thank You Frenchy and Lucky Penny for sharing your day with us. All the doggies are breathtaking, and I smiled when you said they all live in the house. :cloud9:

clm
June 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM
You'd need a horse trailer to haul that crew around with you wouldn't you:laughing: I've always had a real fondness for danes and mastiffs. They look like a very happy bunch.

Cindy

marko
June 11th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Wow those dogs are BEAUTIFUL. Nice shots. :highfive:

I want a big dog too! (In a few more months time...)

~michelle~
June 11th, 2007, 09:23 AM
oh my that looks wonderful!!!!!
thanks for sharing! i absolutely love danes (i will own one one day!)

Frenchy
June 11th, 2007, 11:27 AM
I want a big dog too! (In a few more months time...)

And when you're ready , you'll know where to find me :D that is if you are looking to adopt a rescue doggy.....:pray:

no pressure here :rolleyes:

rainbow
June 11th, 2007, 01:42 PM
WOO HOO......Marko's getting a dog. :highfive:

BHRR
June 12th, 2007, 10:33 AM
LP and Frenchy the pleasure/honour was truly mine to have you over on Saturday and let's coordinate schedules so that you can come for another visit SOON! ;) Thanks as well for recommending this forum to me.

Sadly, we only have 17 here now. I lost my beloved Liquorice last night. Here is her special journal. http://www.birchhaven.org/liquorice.htm :sad:

12 are Great Danes(several we do own), 2 Golden Retrievers that we own(that we rescued back in 1996 at 7.5 and 6.5 weeks of age as part of two separate pm seizures we were asked to assist in); a Rescued Newfx that we own(50% Newf, 1/4 lab and 1/4 Italian Spinone), an English Mastiff that we also own and a Rescued German ShepherdX that we own(50% GS, 1/4 lab, 1/4 Husky). Many of the dogs that we call our own are Rescues that for whatever reason; medical or certain behavoural reasons; we have made the decision to keep them as part of our BHRR Haven program and adored by our family. We then assume all financial costs of them ourselves from that point onward.

Two are SN's(white - Little Tyke - deaf) and the other white one is my very own Soul -deaf, visually impaired(We call him Piranha Puppy Soul Squall). :laughing:

The Black one in the picture is a Great Dane named Boba Phett and he will be adopted to his new home at the end of this month. YAY! :thumbs up

Yes, they all live in our house except for the horses ;) and I vacuum/dust no less than 3 times a day! :)

AND none of what I do could be done without my husband and kids along with all of the supporters including adopters, Volunteers, Sponsors, Vets, other Reputable/Quality Rescues etc. As I always say; it is by all of us working together that makes the chain strong of saving animals successful.

PS: Oshawa is only 3.5 hours away. :)

Truly, a dog lover's paradise...

Frenchy
June 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
As I always say; it is by all of us working together that makes the chain strong of saving animals successful.

:thumbs up I like the way you think :thumbs up

I'm so sorry about liquorice :sad:

BHRR
June 12th, 2007, 01:35 PM
For me I believe it is the most successful way to think! ;)

Thanks so much for your words about Liquorice. I wish I had more time to show her how wonderful the world can be and that not everyone is cruel or abuses animals. :sad: She will be deeply missed.

:thumbs up I like the way you think :thumbs up

I'm so sorry about liquorice :sad:

chico2
June 12th, 2007, 03:47 PM
BHRR,you and your family are truly amazing:thumbs up
I too am very sorry about the loss of Liquorice,a beautiful girl,however she did learn before passing that life as a dog can be wonderful,thank's to your family.
All the dogs look stunning and happy,any animal lucky enough to be brought to your house,surely hit the jack-pot.
Thank you and welcome to the Forum:dog:

rainbow
June 12th, 2007, 06:58 PM
BHRR, I did not realize that you were the wonderful lady that Luckypenny and Frenchy visited when I posted in the photo forum of your gorgeous great danes. :cloud9: I am so glad you joined our forum....you and your family really are such amazing dedicated people. :thumbs up :angel:

And, if you ever get time I would love to see pics of your whole crew. :cloud9:

Also, my deepest condolences on the loss of Liquorice. :grouphug: :candle:

heidiho
June 12th, 2007, 07:26 PM
I thought the same thing about that first picture,Frenchy looked nervous..Boy that does look fun..

hazelrunpack
June 12th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss of Liquorice, BHRR :candle: Her blog is so sad. She had had such a hard life. :sad: But chico's right--with you and your family she learned that life can be wonderful! You have such a big heart! :grouphug:

Bearsmom
June 13th, 2007, 06:19 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss.

I LOVE the mastiff. Bear's trainer had one as his personal pet, and if you didn't pay enough attention to him, he'd come and sit on your feet until you pet him, he's the sweetest dog.

BHRR
June 14th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Thanks so much everyone for the lovely words and sentiments towards Liquorice and her tragic passing. :sad:

While there are some in this world that do not want these amazing creatures; there are many of us out there that DO want them and while that means more ache to our hearts and souls for we lose them all too soon; each one truly does teach us something and brings much love and happiness to our lives. I am truly overjoyed when I see more people opening up their hearts and homes to the SN's, Seniors etc.

I have loved and lost(as many of us in the world have) many incredible animals over the years that I have been blessed to have had them in my life and it is hard some days to carry on. I would like to share the below. It was sent to me during a very hard time in Rescue and knowing that there are many here involved in Rescue in one form or another; this is for all.

:sorry: If this has been posted already somewhere. :o

***This was sent to me from a fellow Rescuer and so much of it rings true and so much more could be said for what happens in Rescue and then you get to the end of what Joan writes and you KNOW you will carry on with the knowledge that you are NOT alone out there fighting the good battle. I am a better person in having these amazing animals/people touch my life, however brief that touch may be!*** Gwen

I Want To Quit!

Author: Joan C. Fremo
Published on: May 16, 2001

I want to quit!
My health is bad. There are days I feel so terrible that I can barely move. My phone bills are outrageous, and I could have replaced my van with the funds I have spent these last 3 years---on animals that were not my own.
I want to quit!
I spend hours and hours emailing about dogs. There may be 500 messages when I start---and at 4 AM, when I finally shut down the computer, there are still 500 emails to be read.
I want to quit!
Gosh, I haven't the time left to email my friends. I can't remember the last book I read, and I gave up my subscription to my local newspaper--- I used to enjoy reading it, cover to cover, but now it often ends up in the bottom of the squirrel's cage---unread.
I want to quit!
I've spent days emailing what seems like everyone---trying to find a foster home, help for a dog languishing in a shelter---but his time has run out, and the shelter has had to euthanize to make room for the next sad soul.
I want to quit!
I swear, I walk away from my computer to stretch my legs---let the dogs out---and come back to find another dog in desperate need. There are times I really dread checking my email. How will I find the funds, the help, to save yet another dog?
I want to quit!
I save one dog, and two more take its place. Now an owner who doesn't want his dog---it won't stay in his unfenced yard. An intact male wanders... This bitch got pregnant by a stray... This 3-month-old pup killed baby chicks... The dog got too big... This person's moving and needs to give up his pet. I ask you, friends---what town, what city, what state doesn't allow you to own a pet?
I want to quit!
I just received another picture, another sad soul with tormented eyes that peer out of a malnourished body. I hear whimpering in my sleep, have nightmares for days...
I want to quit!
Many of the "Breed People" don't seem to want to hear about these dogs. Breeders either don't realize, or just don't care, how many dogs of their breed are dying in shelters.
I want to quit!
I just got off the phone. "Are you Pyr Rescue? We want to adopt a male to breed to our female." How many times do I have to explain? I have tried to explain about genetics, about health and pedigrees. I explain that rescue NEUTERS! I usually end up sobbing, as I explain about the vast numbers of animals dying in shelters across the country, as I describe the condition many of these animals are found in. I wonder if they really heard me...
I want to quit!
It is not like I don't have enough rescues of my own to worry about---but others have placed dogs improperly and aren't there to advise the new owners.
I want to quit!
There ARE some unscrupulous rescues out there---hoarders, collectors, and folks who will short change the care of the animals to make a dollar. The save them all, regardless of temperament, putting fellow rescuer's and adopters at risk but not being truthful.
I want to quit!
I have trusted the wrong people--- had faith and heart broken...
I want to quit!
AND THEN... My dog, Magnus, lays his head in my lap, he comforts me with his gentle presence---and the thought of his cousins suffering stirs my heart.
I want to quit!
AND THEN... One of those 500 emails is from an adopter. They are thanking me for the most wonderful dog on earth---they cannot imagine life with out their friend---their life is changed, and they are so grateful.
I want to quit!
AND THEN... One of my adopted Rescues has visited a nursing home. A patient that has spent the last few years unable to communicate, not connecting-- -Lifts his hand to pat the huge head in his lap, softly speaks his first words in ages--- to this gentle furchild.
I want to quit!
AND THEN... A Good Samaritan has found and vetted a lost baby, "I can't keep him, but I'll take care of him until you find his forever home."
I want to quit!
AND THEN... "Jamie took his first steps holding on to our Pyr." "Joan, you should see this dog nursing this hurt kitten!" "I was so sick, Joan, and he never left my side..."
I want to quit!
AND THEN... I get an email from a fellow rescuer, "Haven't heard from you in a while---you OK? You know I think of you..."
I want to quit!
AND THEN... A dozen rescuers step up to help, to transport, to pull, and to offer encouragement. I have friends I have never seen, but we share tears, joys, and everything in between. I am not alone. I am blest with family of the heart, my fellow Rescuers. Just days ago it was a friend who shared her wit and wisdom, whose late night email lifted my heart. Sometimes it is friends who only have time to forward you a smile. Often, it is my friends who forward me the notices of dogs in need.
There are Rescuers who see a failing transport and do everything they can to find folks to pull it together for you.
Rescuers who'll overnight or foster your Dog while you seek transport.
There are Rescuers not used to or comfortable with your breed, but who put aside their discomfort to help.
There are Rescuers whose words play the music of our hearts.
Foster homes that love your Rescue, and help to make them whole again---body and spirit. Foster homes that fit your baby in, though it may not be their breed.
Rescuers whose talents and determination give us tools to help us. Rescuers we call on for help in a thousand ways, who answer us, who hear our pleas.
Rescuers who are our family, our strength, our comrades in battle.
I know I cannot save every Pyr in need. I know my efforts are a mere drop in a sea. I know that if I take on just one more---those I have will suffer.
I want to quit!
But I won't. When I feel overwhelmed, I'll stroke my Magnus's head while reading my fellow Rescuers emails. I'll cry with them, I'll laugh with them---and they will help me find the strength to go on.
I want to quit!
But not today. There's another email, another dog needing Rescue.
This piece is dedicated, with love and gratitude, to all my fellow Rescuers.

mastifflover
June 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
OMG that looks like heavan to me. They are all such cuties. Big dogs are the most gentle souls. I will most definitely staying away from there

LibbyP
June 14th, 2007, 12:05 PM
HAHAHA unlike mastifflover ~ I want to come for a visit ;) BHRR looks like you have an awesome place for these gentle giants :cloud9: (q) do you adopt London way?

BHRR
June 14th, 2007, 12:45 PM
We adopt in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec. :)

HAHAHA unlike mastifflover ~ I want to come for a visit ;) BHRR looks like you have an awesome place for these gentle giants :cloud9: (q) do you adopt London way?

mastifflover
June 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Looks like there may be a new big kid in your future Kim. You know what I always say Mastiffs are like potato chips you can't have just one. But if you are going pick me up on the way I would love to see all the big kids. BHRR you are truly an angel:angel:

BHRR
June 29th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Sorry I have been remiss in posting new pictures! :sorry: Life has been insane as of late.

I thought I would post a few pictures of the newest 'big dogs' in our BHRR program! Though not Giant yet...........they will be! :D

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/IMG_5279Small.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/IMG_5411Medium.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/IMG_5320Small.jpg

BHRR
June 29th, 2007, 08:26 AM
http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/IMG_5374Medium.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/IMG_5385Medium.jpg

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/DaneObsession/Ambush.jpg

Gwen

hazelrunpack
June 29th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Aw! So sweet! :lovestruck: Love the action shot with the dark brindle jumping in front of the fawn-colored one! :laughing:

Frenchy
June 29th, 2007, 11:30 AM
awww puppies ! :lovestruck: look at their huge paws :cloud9:

luckypenny
June 29th, 2007, 09:53 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/love2/25.gif. They are just beautiful. I especially adore the pic of your son napping with them. It just doesn't get better than that, does it? Thank you Gwen.

TeriM
June 30th, 2007, 12:21 AM
Awww, great pics. They are gorgeous puppies :cloud9: .

rainbow
June 30th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I love them....they are just soooo cute. :lovestruck:

chico2
June 30th, 2007, 06:52 AM
Aww puppies and more puppies:lovestruck:
To be a pup/dog at Gwens house must be greathttp://bestsmileys.com/dogs/4.gif