Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Should I keep 2 new pups in same crate?

PupOwner
April 29th, 2004, 08:41 PM
We will be bringing home two new chihuahua puppies in about a week. I am wondering if it would be a good idea to keep them in the same crate (to keep them from crying at night). They are both females. Any advice?

Lucky Rescue
April 29th, 2004, 08:59 PM
One of the problems with raising two puppies together is that they will tend to bond more closely with each other than they will with you. You may let them sleep together for now, but make sure they get a lot of time apart every day to spend with you individually.

Separate walks, training time, etc. will help. Another problem is that when they are older and spayed, they may start fighting for dominance, so you may have to limit their together time anyway!

Please post pics when you get them!

Luba
April 29th, 2004, 09:02 PM
You read my mind LR lol

Love to see some pictures when you have them, congratulations.

mona_b
April 29th, 2004, 11:08 PM
As someone who has raised 2 pups together,I actually didn't have a problem with them bonding more to each other.Alot of the training was done together.I fed them together,this is how I got them not to be food aggressive.I know,it sounds strange,but it worked.And I walked them together.I never crated them.But they where in the same room together.I had blocked off the kitchen.Never really had a problem with them whinning.But I did leave a radio on when I wasn't home.But I did also give them their seperate time from each other.And one on one with me or family members..Which I had to.Considering Tron had to be seperated from Yukon at the age of 18 months.Now with my friend who has the 2 Bichons,brother and sister.she did everything together with them.Training,feeding,walking.They seem to be doing fine.And they are 2 years old now.And now they have a 4 month old pup.Oh they joys of walking 3...LOL

But LR is right.When older,they will fight for dominence..2 females are worse than 2 males...And I have 2 males.But they are great together.

Good Luck.And yes,let us see some picks when you get them.... :D

Lucky Rescue
April 29th, 2004, 11:17 PM
2 females are worse than 2 males

Right! Raising two siblings together is not usually a good idea, BUT in this case, because the dogs are Chis, any fighting can be solved by picking one up in each hand! :D

mona_b
April 30th, 2004, 06:31 AM
One of these days I'll learn the quote thing...LOL

But LR,that's funny.The solving part.....LMAO

Bill & Bob
April 30th, 2004, 01:57 PM
Now I don't want anyone extending this statement to human males, since I'm one of the few that seems to grace this website with my presence, but males are a bit of a pain in the butt!
Just over the past week or so, I've noticed that Bob is taking more of a disliking to male dogs in general. He's been fixed, that I know. Yesterday he gets into a growling match with a Rotti, then in the afternoon, the moron up the street with the huge American Bulldog goes walking by and Bob out of the blue sounds like he'd like to rumble the beast.
I can't figure out what has brought this on. I mean it's not like he was in love with every male dog before, but it seems to be getting more intense. Maybe he's just growing up and maturing? Seriously, if anyone has thoughts I'd love to hear them. Nothing significant has changed in his life in a negative manner recently.