Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Grooming tool advice?

bendyfoot
June 7th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Hi all, I'm looking for the "miracle grooming tool" to use on Jaida, our GSD. She sheds the equivalent of about half a dog per day. I could care less about the fur in the house (we're already drowning in fur-bunnies as it is), but the loose fur seems to make her itchy on her lower back and legs especially, where the fur is shorter. We use a metal comb on our long-haired mutt Gracie, which works GREAT, but it barely does a thing for Jaida. Neither does the soft-bristle brush we have.
Does anybody know a good tool to remove loose hair from a dense/short-coated breed like the GSD?

luckypenny
June 7th, 2007, 10:43 AM
We found the "Furminator" worked best with our dog Lucky who has an extremely thick undercoat like a German Shepherd. It's a bit pricey and we purchased ours at our vets but I think it's cheaper on-line. Here's a link of one of the places you can order it from...and the photos on the site of the dogs with all the fur around them, it's no advertising gimick. This is exactly what happened the first time we brushed Lucky!

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/furminator_google.htm

bendyfoot
June 7th, 2007, 10:49 AM
oh my god, I just watched their video with the GSD getting groomed. HOLY SMOKES THAT'S A LOT OF FUR!!!

I NEED ONE!!!

Winston
June 7th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I use the groom and zoom tool....It works great for the undercoat and then a regular brush after! I love it...

Cindy

http://www.arcatapet.com/item.cfm?cat=3646

bendyfoot
June 7th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I've tried the zoom groom too...no success! But thanks!:thumbs up

SableCollie
June 7th, 2007, 12:01 PM
My dad uses a slicker brush on Basko, and for Lobo, who is a longhaired he uses an undercoat rake, slicker brush, and pin brush. They still shed though, if the Furminators were cheaper, I would buy him one!

t.pettet
June 7th, 2007, 09:28 PM
A metal rake and a metal moulting comb should get all the undercoat. A good long toothed pin brush for tail and rear.

mummummum
June 7th, 2007, 11:46 PM
I tried the Furminator without success on any of my three beastly beast.
Here is some info I pulled from other threads.

i use a fantastic tool called "coarse rake comb" #3809 , recommended by my akita breeder (she swears by it for all her dogs), works great, $15! :thumbs up ha ha just saw that you can get it for $8 in the states, you lucky ducks! http://www.dresslersdog.com/groom07.html

the one on the left, with a loopy handle:

http://www.vetvax.com/media/psi-rake.jpg

Pet Supply house www.petsupplyhouse.com
is good, there is also Rens in Oakville www.renspets.com

If you are looking for a cheaper “Furminator” I just use an old 40 blade. Mars Coat Kings are a very good tool. Both these tools are “carding” tools and carding encourages the growth of a desirable, healthy course coat rich in colour.

I’d also recommend for double-coats/shedding breeds, a velocity dryer and Best Shot shampoo and leave in conditioner.

Purpledomino
June 8th, 2007, 07:42 AM
I second the suggestion for the rake comb for removing undercoat. Although I don't need one now for my short coat dogs, when I had my Chow it was a lifesaver. It would bring out literally bags and bags of hair and is an awesome tool. :thumbs up

PetFriendly
June 9th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The rakes are great, if you can find one with two rows of teeth (one row is shorter than the other), it'll work even better. You really only need to use this during shedding season, it doesn't work as well as a slicker for day to day shedding.

I've also had more success with more expensive slicker brushes, not sure why, they all appear to be the same, but the cheap ones just don't 'cut through' the fur as well. Usinga flea comb along with the slikcer is our routine, the flea comb keeps all the fine hairs (behind ears, legs, back end) tidy and removed the undercoat better.

SPEEDYGO
June 10th, 2007, 07:45 PM
we just got the Furminator and it works great on our huskies