Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cocker peeing due to being mad

cussyshadooreo
June 7th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Help!! I have a 10 month old male cocker that is house broken for the most part but goes to the bathroom in the house when he is mad. He will go after getting yelled at. What do I do? We have tried treats but that only worked for a short time. My husband wants to give him away but that is not an option due to he belongs to our 5 year old son so I really need to fix this problem fast!
Thanks

BMDLuver
June 7th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Try not yelling at him. It's called submissive peeing. Take a training course with postive reinforcement to learn how to work with your dog. No dog should be yelled at.

cussyshadooreo
June 7th, 2007, 09:39 AM
We have tried to just ignore the peeing hoping that would help, made it worse. Most of the time when he pees it is not due to being yelled at it is do to being mad. This morning he peed and pooped on the floor due to the cat going upstairs. (He and the cat do not get along so we try to keep the seperated as much as possible.) Last night he peed on the floor because my son was done playing with him.

hazelrunpack
June 7th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Have you had your cocker to the vet to check for UTI or other problem? Honestly, though, he sounds like he's just very submissive. Dogs don't eliminate in the house to punish their humans, though if you're frustrated, it may seem that way. Remember that the more upset you get, the more upset he'll be and that will make the problem worse.

I agree with BMDLuver that a training course with your dog would be a good idea. He's very young still and this will be the best time to build his confidence. The more you can boost his confidence and build his trust, the fewer accidents in the house you're going to have.

mafiaprincess
June 7th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Dogs can't be spiteful. He isn't peeing because he is mad. He either isn't fully housebroken and doesn't fully understand, or he has submissive or excited pee issues. Or there is something medically wrong.

t.pettet
June 7th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Is he put outside or walked on a regular basis to relieve himself, does anyone notice when he seems to need to do so? A good routine of being taken out upon waking up, after eating or drinking, after play and before bed would get him on track since dog's don't eliminate in the house out of spite.